ONLY in DR (add yours to list)...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Agreed, DV8. If you want food cooked and presented exactly to your own special requirements, isn't it better to cook it yourself at home? Many chefs would be offended if you tell them how to prepare a dish.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
it's one thing to order steak from the menu and when asked how do you want it done respond with "two minutes on one side, two minutes on the other". it's another thing to order cheeseburger but without cheese and with ciabatta instead of a bun, hold the lettuce, add more pickles, one spoon of ketchup, fat free mayo, meat patty made from minced turkey and so on...

I don't know DV8, you're sounding rather Dominican. I find it doesn't really matter anyway what you order, they'll bring it out different every time. And for a culture that thinks the greatest thing is to put as much ketchup on everything as possible, I'll spend a good 5 minutes explaining no ketchup to them. To no avail, but I guess we'll see about the hell thing. I'm hoping they are in the special room immersed in ketchup, and I'm in the fancy high maintenance part of hell where we get food prepared exactly like we want it. Hell sounds kind of nice.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Agreed, DV8. If you want food cooked and presented exactly to your own special requirements, isn't it better to cook it yourself at home? Many chefs would be offended if you tell them how to prepare a dish.

true, but when you order bacon and eggs, and you tell the waitress that you want the bacon still a little tender, you have a right to be upset when you get bacon bits. worse yet, when it happens every time, and you make a robust attempt to tell the waitress that you do not want it the way it was done day before yesterday, yet it comes back the same.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't know DV8, you're sounding rather Dominican. I find it doesn't really matter anyway what you order, they'll bring it out different every time. And for a culture that thinks the greatest thing is to put as much ketchup on everything as possible, I'll spend a good 5 minutes explaining no ketchup to them. To no avail, but I guess we'll see about the hell thing. I'm hoping they are in the special room immersed in ketchup, and I'm in the fancy high maintenance part of hell where we get food prepared exactly like we want it. Hell sounds kind of nice.

went with a girl yesterday afternoon to get a few slices of pizza. she lathered it in ketchup before taking a bite. i did not even know that pizza shops have ketchup...

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
went with a girl yesterday afternoon to get a few slices of pizza. she lathered it in ketchup before taking a bite. i did not even know that pizza shops have ketchup...

Yes, that is quite common. This is quite disturbing, but I think it goes for all foods. I will agree that you should never send anything back, but nothing wrong to try and get something edible.
If it is a nice restaurant with a good chef, then I'm more than happy to go with their recommendation and style, but most DR places do not qualify, and it is hard to just get an edible egg sandwich due to the creative nature of the chef.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

Personally, i like anchovies but ketchup on a dog, mmmmmmmmmmm.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Youve been to the same bank and have been seen by the same reps within a week and shown your passport no less than 3 times. They copied it, and got it on file along with other documents you presented. They even gave you a temporary debit card. They call you to come in to pick up your permanent debit card. They ask for your passport, but you figured you wouldnt need it because they know you and they have it on file. So you hand him your laminated copy of your passport and he tells you he needs your original passport. I mean really? Turns out the original was not needed, he was just being a parrot. If not for my protesting and the rep sitting next to him he would have made me go home for nothing.

You are mad, because the bank took the necessary safety measures to verify your identity, to give your card to you, and not to someone who might have copied your passport?
Man that sucks, I bet you get really mad too, when they ask you for an ID when using your Credit Card, just to verify is you using the Credit Card and not someone else.

Sucks big time.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bank Line

I was in one the other day........just one teller during lunch - it was the 15th

Line gets bigger
Doorman opens/closes door... then gets official.

Comes to the line and squeezes us 6 inches - INCHES - forward to shorten the line.

He was proud of himself.... a shorter line...... like getting more sardines into the can !!

hahaha

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
You are mad, because the bank took the necessary safety measures to verify your identity, to give your card to you, and not to someone who might have copied your passport?
Man that sucks, I bet you get really mad too, when they ask you for an ID when using your Credit Card, just to verify is you using the Credit Card and not someone else.

Sucks big time.

I agree that the bank should take the proper ID, and I'm sure that you remember a bank teller much more than they remember you as they see a lot more people, but I'm never ID'd when I use a credit card, and that would annoy me. Only shady looking people are ID'd for credit cards ;).

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
There are NO ONE WAY STREETS here....none. Also money changers always trump joe blow in a bank lineup.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I don't know DV8, you're sounding rather Dominican.

Whoa. So much wrong on so many levels.

As if sounding "Dominican" is somehow suspect?

And trust me: tread carefully. You do NOT want to **** off Mama DV8.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
What about picky pricks (me), who don't live here, and stay in hotels? We have no choice but to give a 5 minute dissertation on how we want our food prepared.
Give a bloke a break.

There is so much I would like to say. But in the interest of domestic harmony, I won't.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree that the bank should take the proper ID, and I'm sure that you remember a bank teller much more than they remember you as they see a lot more people, but I'm never ID'd when I use a credit card, and that would annoy me. Only shady looking people are ID'd for credit cards ;).

O know I sound like a broken record here.........
but I don't have these problems.

Yes, they ask for the passport number sometimes
Yes, I have it memorized.
Yes, they have it on the computer in front of them
Yes, they offer to give me the number they just asked for

Very Dominican.......... what can you say ???

so what ??

Next it will be the price of tea in China.....
and - contrary to public belief......

there is not much tea in China !!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Well. There actually are. But nobody pays any attention......

In what country do you all live!???! When I take a one way street the opposite way all drivers that I meet point to me that's it's 'UNA VIA' or play Amet by putting their vehicle in front of my car.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
O know I sound like a broken record here.........
but I don't have these problems.

Yes, they ask for the passport number sometimes
Yes, I have it memorized.
Yes, they have it on the computer in front of them
Yes, they offer to give me the number they just asked for

Very Dominican.......... what can you say ???

so what ??

Next it will be the price of tea in China.....
and - contrary to public belief......

there is not much tea in China !!!!

But ya gotta have a yen for it!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
In what country do you all live!???! When I take a one way street the opposite way all drivers that I meet point to me that's it's 'UNA VIA' or play Amet by putting their vehicle in front of my car.

I lived on a one way street for almost 3 years. Every day a neighbor went down it the wrong way with written across his windscreen "Dios me guia" God guides him the wrong way down the street. So if that is the way God guides him it must be OK!
Der Fish