Open Letter From a Tourist

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
BINGO, that was my thought as well..

Teenagers dont spend the time to sit down and write such stuff.. they are the most Selfish Creatures on the Planet
. unless there is a bigger " otra" reason for it . and even then someone needs to be standing over their Shoulders to make sure it gets done.

so yeagh, Altruism is usually not one of those reasons..

Orrrrrrrr........ there is actually hope for America’s youth.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Speaking only for myself (American) I will only tip if I am provided decent service not because somebody has come up with some cockomamy idea that it is required. If the person providing service does check on me once in a while to see if I need something or is everything ok then yes I will tip. On the other hand if I set there for 30 min while the servers are talking on their telephone, or gossiping with with their co-workers before they come over to take my order etc, then no tip for them other than the required 10% here.
Same idea when I am in the US or else where. It's my money that I'm paying with and I will use it as I please. NO one deserves a tip just because.
I have gone so far as to tip .05 to express my displeasure with service received.

I will not raise hell with anyone over this lack of service and will even return to the same place but tipping is recognition of service received, not a social convention.

These people make in a MONTH what you are spending for one night , and you are too cheap to tip them ?

and you are one of those people who leaves a Nickel when you are not " Pleased" ?
or worse yet Cinco Pesos ?
you do know that in the DR, thats the equivalent to calling the person a " Child"
ok, i think we got the picture ..

Tipping actually IS a Social Convention.. just not YOURS.

Orrrrrrrr........ there is actually hope for America’s youth.
There was very likely another Motive in play, is all i am saying ..

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Complete see through nonsense. Signing with his full name, present and future schools.

People showering him with praise as if there is no hidden, although poorly, agenda.

The praise is just a subliminal agreement with the writers Or his parents warrior positions.

All a joke.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Speaking only for myself (American) I will only tip if I am provided decent service not because somebody has come up with some cockomamy idea that it is required. If the person providing service does check on me once in a while to see if I need something or is everything ok then yes I will tip. On the other hand if I set there for 30 min while the servers are talking on their telephone, or gossiping with with their co-workers before they come over to take my order etc, then no tip for them other than the required 10% here.
Same idea when I am in the US or else where. It's my money that I'm paying with and I will use it as I please. NO one deserves a tip just because.
I have gone so far as to tip .05 to express my displeasure with service received.

I will not raise hell with anyone over this lack of service and will even return to the same place but tipping is recognition of service received, not a social convention.

I will leave money for this poor uneducated young woman anyway. Not to make her sad. But next time won`t go to this place if service is horrible there.

Jan 9, 2004
I think his mommy or a college recruiter wrote it.

I had not thought of that possibility or that he was perhaps looking for his own personal gain in some way, shape or form.

What is clear, is that DominicanToday, however they acquired the story, is and does run stories of questionable validity.......and many with an anti-American slant.

Not that the premise of the rude/demanding tourist is in question, but rather how/why they acquired the story, as well as its validity, need further review.

But, if you read it carefully and fact check some of the details, the specific story appears to be either grossly exaggerated or completely false, perhaps being written and published for the benefit of the writer and/or DominicanToday.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My Paste & Post got messed up
I'll try again
=======================================================

TIPPING

I once confounded a restaurant staff...
Young & single, I frequented this often- daily- for dinner.......sometimes with a friend

It began to grate on me that what I ordered dictated the tip amount...
delivering a hamburger or a steak or shrimp is the same effort in my mind
A plate is a plate.......service is service.

This was the '70/80's...

I began a scheme...
I tipped $5 for a two person & $10 for a four person meal

The staff were confused
One night the manager joined me and asked what I was doing....
Big tip some nights... less others (it seemed to her...she was using the bill total method)

I explained - she smiled and left .......I see, she said

She explained it to the staff and we were fine

I still like the idea

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I had not thought of that possibility or that he was perhaps looking for his own personal gain in some way, shape or form.

What is clear, is that DominicanToday, however they acquired the story, is and does run stories of questionable validity.......and many with an anti-American slant.

Not that the premise of the rude/demanding tourist is in question, but rather how/why they acquired the story, as well as its validity, need further review.

But, if you read it carefully and fact check some of the details, the specific story appears to be either grossly exaggerated or completely false, perhaps being written and published for the benefit of the writer and/or DominicanToday.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Opinion section so it was submitted.

Jan 9, 2004
Opinion section so it was submitted.

And it just so happens (coincidence) to fall in line with their anti-American bias.

And when was it submitted? I ask that specific question having a few more "details" concerning the story.

This looks like a win/win for both the writer and DT..........He gets to claim a feel good story for whatever benefit it may have to him (credit to Luperon) and DT gets to run another perfect anti-American hit piece..............the loser however may be its specific accuracy and those who bought into it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
And it just so happens (coincidence) to fall in line with their anti-American bias.

And when was it submitted? I ask that specific question having a few more "details" concerning the story.

This looks like a win/win for both the writer and DT..........He gets to claim a feel good story for whatever benefit it may have to him (credit to Luperon) and DT gets to run another perfect anti-American hit piece..............the loser however may be its specific accuracy and those who bought into it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Guess what? I am with total fabrication on this story. His high school is on Spring Break now, has not even returned yet if he is even there. "I didn’t do any research prior to getting on the plane, so I came into the trip with a “blank slate.”
"We stayed at all-inclusive hotel in the resort town of Punta Cana". They would have to be still staying there, lol. H
He had the entire letter drafted prior to leaving for PC, and probably emailed a couple of days ago while still at the resort.

https://btw.tulsaschools.org/school-calendar school calendar.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Guess what? I am with total fabrication on this story. His high school is on Spring Break now, has not even returned yet if he is even there. "I didn’t do any research prior to getting on the plane, so I came into the trip with a “blank slate.”
"We stayed at all-inclusive hotel in the resort town of Punta Cana". They would have to be still staying there, lol. H
He had the entire letter drafted prior to leaving for PC, and probably emailed a couple of days ago while still at the resort.

what is strange about saying ''we stayed''? what if their itinerary comprised of staying at different places?

just asking...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@KyleMackey why not post on Dominican Today and see what reply you get. Good chance the author will read your comment and respond.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
what is strange about saying ''we stayed''? what if their itinerary comprised of staying at different places?

just asking...

For a one week spring break people stay at one resort. He is lying. It is the typical leftist 1st World all Americans are garbage crap, oh and did you know I am going to college in Rome next year, so "edgy". No 18 year old High School kids act or write like that unless the thorough indoctrination started pretty young.

Jan 9, 2004

Nice sleuthing.

There is more too.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
For a one week spring break people stay at one resort. He is lying. It is the typical leftist 1st World all Americans are garbage crap, oh and did you know I am going to college in Rome next year, so "edgy". No 18 year old High School kids act or write like that unless the thorough indoctrination started pretty young.

Trying to prove your point on dr1 isn't going to accomplish anything cuz I don't think anyone really cares. Why not call him out on Dominican Today and see what he has to say?

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Trying to prove your point on dr1 isn't going to accomplish anything cuz I don't think anyone really cares. Why not call him out on Dominican Today and see what he has to say?

I have contacted Dominican Today to determine their vetting standards. Not going to shoot from the hip on their comment section until I talk to them.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Maybe This Is Phoney Also? Post from DR1

Thread: Travel etiquette and "Loud Ugly Americans"

Search Thread

07-22-2008, 06:59 AM #1
RHM
Doctor of Diplomacy

Post Thanks / Like

I�ll have a lot to say about my specific honeymoon location soon, but suffice it to say that the resort over-promised and under-delivered on just about everything they sold us. So, let�s put that aside for the time being and concentrate on the first of two human sub-species I encountered during my honeymoon in the DR and you are almost guaranteed to encounter on just about any vacation � the �Loud Ugly Americans.� Tomorrow�s I will examine the other species you are bound to encounter while traveling � the �European Chain-Smokers.�

The reputation of the �Loud Ugly American� (hereafter LUA) is not a myth, it is a reality. So prevalent is this reality that in 2006 the U.S. State Department partnered with U.S. transnational companies to combat the phenomenon and even issued a few guidelines for the masses of Americans who seem to be culturally tone deaf. The guidelines are common sense to many Americans but, unfortunately, not for tens of millions of others.

My wife and I had several encounters with a large pack of LUAs outside of their natural habitat (the U.S.A.) during our honeymoon in Punta Cana. The first time was in a Mexican theme restaurant during dinner. The pack consisted of approximately 10 LUA adults and another 6-8 LUA cubs. There were probably 15 LUAs in total, but with the noise level and loud garish clothing it seemed more like 50. The adults sat at one large table and consolidated their litters at another. Amazingly, the noise and obnoxious behavior (besides the occasional whining) came primarily from the adult table. There was even one tense moment when the male LUAs commandeered Sombreros and wandered around the dining room saying �Holaaaaaaaa!� to everyone, assuming they were being festive and not obnoxious or intrusive during other people�s dinners. Being this close to an adult male LUA (in the wild) can be very scary for someone who doesn�t know enough to avoid eye contact and completely forget the English language for a moment. My wife and I are highly-skilled in this area and survived the encounter to blog about it.

The following evening we decided to dine in the Mediterranean themed restaurant. I had hoped that the LUAs would be so thoroughly confused as to what was meant by the term �Mediterranean� that they would avoid it and instead decide to circle their herd around the all-you-can-eat- buffet where there is always an abundance of more appropriate LUA feed (burgers, fries, pizza, etc.) We settled in at a table next to a very nice couple from Montreal, exchanged pleasantries, and started our meal. Within minutes the same LUA pack had entered our territory and set-up camp. They were slightly more subdued than the night before and the only murmurs I heard coming from the �cub table� was that �this place doesn�t have any good food.� They ate anyway but didn�t stay long as I imagine they made at least one more trip to the all-you-can-eat buffet for some �real food� before returning to their caves. A collective sense of relief could be felt as the last LUA exited the restaurant and the door was closed and locked behind him � we had survived again.

If you Google �loud ugly Americans� you�ll retrieve lots of tips and guidelines for ignorant Americans to follow when traveling abroad, including the Top Ten things Americans Tourists Should Not Do by Isabella Snow. It�s both amazing and sad that people need to be told these things. Unfortunately, I could not find similar guidelines or tips for tomorrow�s topic � the �European Chain-Smoker.� So, out of the kindness of my heart and in an effort to foster international understanding and good-will, I�ve created some tips for them and will post them tomorrow.

Comments and criticism are always welcome.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Thread: Travel etiquette and "Loud Ugly Americans"

Search Thread

07-22-2008, 06:59 AM #1
RHM
Doctor of Diplomacy

Post Thanks / Like

I�ll have a lot to say about my specific honeymoon location soon, but suffice it to say that the resort over-promised and under-delivered on just about everything they sold us. So, let�s put that aside for the time being and concentrate on the first of two human sub-species I encountered during my honeymoon in the DR and you are almost guaranteed to encounter on just about any vacation � the �Loud Ugly Americans.� Tomorrow�s I will examine the other species you are bound to encounter while traveling � the �European Chain-Smokers.�

The reputation of the �Loud Ugly American� (hereafter LUA) is not a myth, it is a reality. So prevalent is this reality that in 2006 the U.S. State Department partnered with U.S. transnational companies to combat the phenomenon and even issued a few guidelines for the masses of Americans who seem to be culturally tone deaf. The guidelines are common sense to many Americans but, unfortunately, not for tens of millions of others.

My wife and I had several encounters with a large pack of LUAs outside of their natural habitat (the U.S.A.) during our honeymoon in Punta Cana. The first time was in a Mexican theme restaurant during dinner. The pack consisted of approximately 10 LUA adults and another 6-8 LUA cubs. There were probably 15 LUAs in total, but with the noise level and loud garish clothing it seemed more like 50. The adults sat at one large table and consolidated their litters at another. Amazingly, the noise and obnoxious behavior (besides the occasional whining) came primarily from the adult table. There was even one tense moment when the male LUAs commandeered Sombreros and wandered around the dining room saying �Holaaaaaaaa!� to everyone, assuming they were being festive and not obnoxious or intrusive during other people�s dinners. Being this close to an adult male LUA (in the wild) can be very scary for someone who doesn�t know enough to avoid eye contact and completely forget the English language for a moment. My wife and I are highly-skilled in this area and survived the encounter to blog about it.

The following evening we decided to dine in the Mediterranean themed restaurant. I had hoped that the LUAs would be so thoroughly confused as to what was meant by the term �Mediterranean� that they would avoid it and instead decide to circle their herd around the all-you-can-eat- buffet where there is always an abundance of more appropriate LUA feed (burgers, fries, pizza, etc.) We settled in at a table next to a very nice couple from Montreal, exchanged pleasantries, and started our meal. Within minutes the same LUA pack had entered our territory and set-up camp. They were slightly more subdued than the night before and the only murmurs I heard coming from the �cub table� was that �this place doesn�t have any good food.� They ate anyway but didn�t stay long as I imagine they made at least one more trip to the all-you-can-eat buffet for some �real food� before returning to their caves. A collective sense of relief could be felt as the last LUA exited the restaurant and the door was closed and locked behind him � we had survived again.

If you Google �loud ugly Americans� you�ll retrieve lots of tips and guidelines for ignorant Americans to follow when traveling abroad, including the Top Ten things Americans Tourists Should Not Do by Isabella Snow. It�s both amazing and sad that people need to be told these things. Unfortunately, I could not find similar guidelines or tips for tomorrow�s topic � the �European Chain-Smoker.� So, out of the kindness of my heart and in an effort to foster international understanding and good-will, I�ve created some tips for them and will post them tomorrow.

Comments and criticism are always welcome.

Get off of my Lawn!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

ok.

i beg to differ. since i do not know this particular individual, i am not going to speculate about his agenda. you are a grown man, so you are free to say whatever works for you.