Opening a car dealership. Requirements?

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Does anyone have experience or knows the requirements to open a car dealership? I am currently out of DR that's why I'm asking the question here, if I was in DR I'd just go talk to a lawyer. Thank you.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Out of curiosity, did you know there is a car dealer here on virtually every street corner and 3 in between? Not counting the thousands of people who make a living by importing one car at a time?

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Out of curiosity, did you know there is a car dealer here on virtually every street corner and 3 in between? Not counting the thousands of people who make a living by importing one car at a time?
Well with that mindset nobody would be starting any new businesses anymore because there is everything on virtually every street corner.

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
I'd like to get the license so I get a break on the import taxes which from what I could gather online are 38%. Then import a few high end luxury cars which I would use myself but also put them up for sale and if one gets sold I import another one.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Does anyone have experience or knows the requirements to open a car dealership? I am currently out of DR that's why I'm asking the question here, if I was in DR I'd just go talk to a lawyer. Thank you.
What nobody mentioned: Car Dealer's (most of them) are highly involved in money laundering. The Import and sell cars on a base of cost + zero profit.
This is your Competition ! Still think about open another one ?

Jan 9, 2004
I'd like to get the license so I get a break on the import taxes which from what I could gather online are 38%. Then import a few high end luxury cars which I would use myself but also put them up for sale and if one gets sold I import another one.
I represent a number of car dealers/importers in the DR..................and if the above is your busines model..............I wish you good luck.............because you are going to need it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
I represent a number of car dealers/importers in the DR..................and if the above is your busines model..............I wish you good luck.............because you are going to need it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Could you please let me know the requirements and what is the process to obtain the license?

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
PS. Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, selling the car to make money is not my primary concern, altough it'd be nice. I'd be happy to import say new Benz GLE 63 Coupe or G500, enjoy it a year and then even if I sold it for the same money I spent on it I'd be happy.

Jan 9, 2004
Could you please let me know the requirements and what is the process to obtain the license?
I do not know all the requirements as I represent them but am not a car dealer. I suggest you engage the services of an attorney.

That having been said, you will need a corporation, dealer licenses, RNC number, location, connections with Aduana etc., etc., etc. The process is long............and many have come here with the same idea as you. Without the necessary connections, and sometimes even with them, the process can be overwhelming. Without close contacts, yours is not a business model that would work well here.

Good luck though.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones and FF1

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
PS. Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, selling the car to make money is not my primary concern, altough it'd be nice. I'd be happy to import say new Benz GLE 63 Coupe or G500, enjoy it a year and then even if I sold it for the same money I spent on it I'd be happy.
In that case, you are a private seller... as has been said, many do it.
Import - have a bit of fun with it... sell it and start again

There is a 3yr (?) rule on selling a car if you bring it in on residency..... otherwise, not sure

Good idea you have - no license needed IMO

Jan 9, 2004
PS. Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly, selling the car to make money is not my primary concern, altough it'd be nice.

Good, because with all the requirements and expenses, you surely will not make money.
I'd be happy to import say new Benz GLE 63 Coupe or G500, enjoy it a year and then even if I sold it for the same money I spent on it I'd be happy.
Your ancillary costs to import one car a year will surpass any savings you think you will have..........and will likely even be more costly. The tax savings by virtue of being a dealer is not enough to surpass your other costs..............on one off operations.

Again, good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones and FF1

FF1

Dec 17, 2022
DR
Thanks for the replies. One more question, sorry. Do you know of cases where a dealership would let you import a car for yourself trough their dealership for a fee? Do they practice that? Thanks.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for the replies. One more question, sorry. Do you know of cases where a dealership would let you import a car for yourself trough their dealership for a fee? Do they practice that? Thanks.
Thats for sure
There are quite a lot in SD at the Malecon (SD) that might do this. Just ask. Almost all of there US Counterparts are located in or arround Miami, so you need the car to get to miami. Finally you start to make sense ! I was already getting a cow for you when i heard that you have your coffee with milk.

Reactions: el-so and FF1

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Well with that mindset nobody would be starting any new businesses anymore because there is everything on virtually every street corner.
Correct,. Nobody would start *that kind of business*. Maybe you should open up a colmado bc there are only 6 per block? Four corners and one left center and one right center.

Jan 9, 2004
I am sure there are some...........but unless you have a special relationship with that dealer (friend/family etc.) most will tell you no. And be wary of the ones who say yes......no problem.............they are likely one of the reasons car dealers have a bad reputation..........and you are likely to have all sorts of problems getting that vehicle into your name.

Things do not work here like you may be used to in other countries.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: FF1

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Compañía de carpeta removes most (if not sll) legsl obstacles to starting a business. Plus, you buy one today and within 48 business hours or less you can start selling all fully legal. Last time I checked, the cost of one was around US$2,000. Could be more now since everything has gone up. Many attorney offices sell them. Arrive today in SD, but one tomorrow, by the end of the week or less you are in business.

Just be aware many of these Compañías de carpeta have funny and somewhat generic names. If you want a name change, it will take longer for when you can start selling.

Reactions: FF1