options for 16 to 18 year olds

emmy

Apr 18, 2006
hi - we are considering moving to DR - ideally to North coast. I have 3 daughters and am exploring options open for them. The ISS school in susuo seems promising for my 8 year old. My 13 year old is at boarding school at the moment and will probably stay there during term time as she is in her gcse years (important exams in UK). the eldest is a problem as she will officially finish school in the UK this summer (she is 16). I wondered if there are any colleges - equivalent to the further education colleges which we have here. I guess not but just in case... She is not highly academic and was hoping to take an exam known as a BTEC in the UK music industry. We are totally undecided as to whether she would come with us full time or just in the holidays. It really depends what her options are over there. Maybe some time out of education would be an option - but she is a bit young? any advice please?

knowledge

Aug 2, 2005
throw out the conventional education system...let them learn via internet and have them with you over here...let them learn from life and from their parents. I left school when I was 15, right in the middle of the school year.

Learned from the internet, life and parents ever since...

emmy

Apr 18, 2006
i know it's very tempting and goes along with my gut feelings - i lived overseas with my parents between the ages of 7 and 11 and went to international schools. fantastic experience. not so sure the grandparents would agree tho. (but i'm sure the children will!)

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
emmy said:
hi - we are considering moving to DR - ideally to North coast. I have 3 daughters and am exploring options open for them. The ISS school in susuo seems promising for my 8 year old. My 13 year old is at boarding school at the moment and will probably stay there during term time as she is in her gcse years (important exams in UK). the eldest is a problem as she will officially finish school in the UK this summer (she is 16). I wondered if there are any colleges - equivalent to the further education colleges which we have here. I guess not but just in case... She is not highly academic and was hoping to take an exam known as a BTEC in the UK music industry. We are totally undecided as to whether she would come with us full time or just in the holidays. It really depends what her options are over there. Maybe some time out of education would be an option - but she is a bit young? any advice please?

I have been living here for over 4 years with my two kids now aged 13 & 15. Don't expect too much from the school system here .. including International School.. we have been through all the schools here in Sosua.

My 15 year old daughter hopefully will be leaving in June and going to finish High School in Chicago... where there is more opportunity for her.

My kids were 9 & 11 when we arrived here ... it was a good time for them then.

Write to me if you need any more info. sylviacheal@hotmail.com

Good Luck !

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It will be difficult to get the same level of education here, that you could where you now live, but that's not to say you shouldn't make the move.
I fully understand anyone who might want to escape the rat race.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Chester4 said:
I have been living here for over 4 years with my two kids now aged 13 & 15. Don't expect too much from the school system here .. including International School.. we have been through all the schools here in Sosua.

My 15 year old daughter hopefully will be leaving in June and going to finish High School in Chicago... where there is more opportunity for her.

My kids were 9 & 11 when we arrived here ... it was a good time for them then.

Write to me if you need any more info. sylviacheal@hotmail.com

Good Luck !

I am a little surprised by your opinion of the schools in Sosua. I have a 6 year old in Garden Kids, and so far his program is more advanced than my niece's 6 year old's school in Wilton Conn. (a very fancy area). I have also heard very good things from parents of ISS kids.

I agree that there is far more opportunity in the States. I also think (I have sons ages 32 and 28) that it's often a good idea for kids to spend some time away from home. Most of their character is formed by the time they are 16, and they can mature faster without being under the thumb of mommy and daddy. - D

emmy

Apr 18, 2006
hello people - thank you for your replies - it's obviously something of a matter of opinion. we shall certainly have to investigate further.
one question - can anyone tell me the ages that each grade covers? not sure if it is the same as the english system.
ps - what on earth is a sankie (sorry for naivety)

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Danny W said:
I am a little surprised by your opinion of the schools in Sosua. I have a 6 year old in Garden Kids, and so far his program is more advanced than my niece's 6 year old's school in Wilton Conn. (a very fancy area). I have also heard very good things from parents of ISS kids.

I agree that there is far more opportunity in the States. I also think (I have sons ages 32 and 28) that it's often a good idea for kids to spend some time away from home. Most of their character is formed by the time they are 16, and they can mature faster without being under the thumb of mommy and daddy. - D

Danny W.. you are lucky to have found a good school. I cannot comment on the Garden Kids as my children never went there as they only go up to 7th Grade I believe. My children are aged 15 & 13. They have been to International School, New Life School & The Learning Centre. I am now having to send my Daughter away to finish her schooling either to the States or back to the UK. My Son will stay here for another few years but I am seriously thinking about home schooling for him. I have spoken to many parents too who are also not happy with the education system here.

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
emmy said:
hello people - thank you for your replies - it's obviously something of a matter of opinion. we shall certainly have to investigate further.
one question - can anyone tell me the ages that each grade covers? not sure if it is the same as the english system.
ps - what on earth is a sankie (sorry for naivety)

Hello ... Grade 8 = 13/14 year olds Grade 9 = 14/15 year olds

Grade 9 is High school. But children have to go through a Dominican Exam in Spanish to be able to go into High School. If they fail they have to stay in 8th Grade. This exam has to be done. So for instance if a child enters a school 8th Grade or under they cannot move into 9th Grade High School without this exam. There is also another examination in 12th Grade.
Don't be surprised to find children as old as 18 or 19 years still at School or children in a lower grade for their age.
If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Good Luck! Sylvia

emmy

Apr 18, 2006
thanks sylvia - i didn't know about that exam. - i presume it applies to all - even international schools.
if they are already 16 do they have to take it?
is it hard?
what is it on?
i guess it will be very hard for my girls as they don't speak Spanish yet! (we have arranged some lessons)
we don't have this system at all here - sounds like a good incentive to get studying.

thanks for sankie links - what a carry on! perhaps i'd better leave my 16 year old daughter at home safe and sound!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Chester4 said:

Grade 9 is High school. But children have to go through a Dominican Exam in Spanish to be able to go into High School. If they fail they have to stay in 8th Grade. This exam has to be done. So for instance if a child enters a school 8th Grade or under they cannot move into 9th Grade High School without this exam. There is also another examination in 12th Grade.
Don't be surprised to find children as old as 18 or 19 years still at School or children in a lower grade for their age.
Good Luck! Sylvia

Age-wise Dominican schools work basically the same as North American schools with age 5 being typical for Kindergarden and age 6 for grade 1. My wife's relatives that are coming for ESL school to CANADA this summer are Jennie, finishing Grade 10 and turns 15 this summer and Sandy, Graduating and turning 18 in September.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I live in Puerto Plata, since several years.
My son is now 15 1/2. He goes to a private, spanish speaking school.
We had him in a private English speaking school here only the first year, and since he became fluent in Spanish so fast, he wanted to change himself, to be closer to friends and part of the real community, instead of among expats all the time.
He is now fluent in his mother tounge ( Swedish ), Spanish and English, and so-so in French.
We are very pleased with our school here in Puerto Plata.
Apart from the regular schooling, he also has contact with a Swedish school back home to continue his education in Swedish language & litterature.
Besides school, he is in a basketball team, and a computer class in the evenings.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Chester4 said:

Good Luck! Sylvia

Actually there are exams to be passed every year to pass to next grade.
It is not just between grade 8 and 1 (9).

If you put a 16 yr old in school here, any private school, you need a birthcertificate, and a paper from the old school that your child have passed the exams in your country for the specific grade, 2-4 pictures and that is it.
You pay an incription fee, get a list of books to buy, get the uniforms and you?re on your way.
If your previous school had a school nurse, get papers from there as well.