Organic Bananas Imported from DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
i am yet to meet a Dominican who would pay 25 pesos for a banana, when you can get 2 for 5 on a bad day off a truck.

Yeah but I am talking about buying the whole cart and resell it in my fiances father store. I always do that every Wednesday so the people who live nearby can buy them all day instead only for few minutes, ya know?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is "NO WAY IN HELL" that you, or ANYONE ELSE, can sell a "Banana" here in the DR for 25 pesos each!!!!!!!!!
I can bury you in bananas at 5 pesos each!
I have "Trees",and get them for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought "Platanos" in Boston super markets, cheaper than I can get them here, 5 for a dollar!

"XO" you seem to know a lot about Miami food prices, do you live there?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There is "NO WAY IN HELL" that you, or ANYONE ELSE, can sell a "Banana" here in the DR for 25 pesos each!!!!!!!!!
I bought "Platanos" in Boston super markets, cheaper than I can get them here, 5 for a dollar!

you can get them off a truck in POP at certain times for less than 5 pesos. 2 for 5 is more like it. heck, no Dominican is paying 25 pesos for a platano. at 12 pesos, they are crying bloody murder..

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013

Then you dont know me, my fiances family OWNS 3 stores and makes $30k pesos everyday and also owns 3 houses and rents them, they are a business for long time and they know how to operate a business. You DONT.

Thank you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Then you dont know me, my fiances family OWNS 3 stores and makes $30k pesos everyday and also owns 3 houses and rents them, they are a business for long time and they know how to operate a business. You DONT.

Thank you.

none of which proves that they can sell a banana for 25 pesos. ok, maybe one, to a crazy guy.

Aug 6, 2006
I live in Miami, that is no secret. I visit the DR every three months or so. I buy bananas in the Barahona market 3 for ten pesos. Sometimes I get the same price from guys in a truck. Once I bought three bananas, peeled one and it was strangely small, and the seller told me "no coma eso" and gave me a couple more for free. If I wanted to eat more than three bananas, I bet I could get a bigger deal, but 10 pesos is a quarter. Big deal.

The only way to prove or disprove what MiamiDRGuy says would be to follow him about and verify what he claims. Personally, I see no reason to do this. He may be an extraordinary banana salesman. Perhaps he has a location where many banana-starved European tourists come and buy their daily banana breakfast from him at European banana prices.

For all I know CC may also be an expert in the purveying of the popular yellow fruit. My observation is that everyone that has a business believes that their way of running a business is the only way. This tends to be untrue, in my experience. As they say, "El mundo es ancho y ajeno", and one size never fits all.

This is not an argument that anyone can actually win or lose. So why bother to have it?

May 29, 2006
There was a poster here briefly that was in the organic produce business for export. Superavocados.com was their website and they also did a variety of Indian produce for export. They are prob numerous exporters who consolidate for the smaller farmers and export under a licensed brand name.

The chems they use on the big banana plantations is some nasty stuff. Causes the field workers to go sterile and can also give them cancer and other diseases. It's banned in the US and some South American countries. About a third of the cost of bananas is in anti-fungicides.

I find it pretty amazing they can air freight something as perishable as a banana over 1000 miles to the US and then sell it for around 50 cents/pound. Once they start to speckle they go down to 25 cents a pound.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
After reading how much money certain people made with a so simple product like bananas, I will sell all my condos and buy a babanashop

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
and I presume you don't pay your fianc?s father any rent for the selling of your produce...just use his store...his staff and his cash register....you are a real smart business man....no wonder your fianc?s family has 3 stores and so much property

Thank you.

Aug 6, 2006
As I understand it, bananas are grown in plastic bags around each hand of bananas, harvested green and transported to the US and Europe mostly in refrigerated ships. The trip takes from one week to perhaps two weeks. The bananas are stored in a cool warehouse. When they are ready to be sold, they are gassed, which causes them to ripen. When they are yellow with just a tinge of green, they are put out for sale.

The bananas I see at the Presidente supermarket in Miami are no more likely to be speckled than those that Wal Mart sells at over double the price.

Bananas sold in the DR seem to be allowed to ripen naturally and taste a bit different, even though they are the same in appearance. Perhaps a bit sweeter, but with more of a banana taste.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
and I presume you don't pay your fianc?s father any rent for the selling of your produce...just use his store...his staff and his cash register....you are a real smart business man....no wonder your fianc?s family has 3 stores and so much property

My fiances family owns the house not rent, why would I pay even I am renting them? Me, their parents runs the store. They are running this business so they can have income for their retirement, thats why.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I DON'T own a "Business" but I eat BANANAS!!!!!!
But NOT at 25 pesos each!
Neither does ANYONE else on this island!
I bet they rent those houses for 100,000 a week too???????????
:laugh::p:laugh::p:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
"Fiance"???????????????????????????
Double,.....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I prefer the shorter , fatter bananas --

Like CCCologne likes his women

The shorter , fatter ones taste a bit differently but are good.
I forget what they're called

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
In Haiti they are called figue..those little bananas.. you hardly see them in the markets ,, i think that they are very fragile.

When I was in Comendador, I would have paid 25 peso for a banana. Perhaps in Monte Christi as well. Location location location

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I prefer the shorter , fatter bananas --

Like CCCologne likes his women

The shorter , fatter ones taste a bit differently but are good.
I forget what they're called

Do you mean the manzano bananas? Small, and have a apple flavor to them. We have several manzano guineo trees, everyone fights over them when we cut down a racimo.

May 5, 2007
The 25 peso banana makes sense to me. People in the USA will pay $3 for a bottle of coke that can be bought at a supermarket for $0.40 or $4 for a $0.99 bag of chips, all about convenience

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"People" in the USA, have "Disposable Income", people in the DR don't!!!!!!!
I have SOME, but even in the USA, I'm "CHEAP"!!!!!!
I often go without, rater than paying too much!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Status
Not open for further replies.