"Other Fair" - Organizer Arrested!

Everett

Jun 8, 2006
Interesting links to the DR Boomer blogs. Good eye.
I think Father Rogelio has his place - he does bring awareness to the worst of the barrios.
As to busting the thing up that does not seem to be Leonel's style at all.
But, hey, something I really like about the DR - they do have a robust democracy.
I know very few Dominicans without strong political and/or religious views.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
thanatos,

The polls show that few Dominicans trust governmental institutions. What they do trust is the Church and Universities. If this guy wasn?t a priest, he would just be ignored like most other extreme leftists in the country. He is using the Catholic Church, a supposed sacred institution which Dominicans hold high, to gain political leverage.

The problem is that most Dominicans would never think a priest would lie. A priest is incorruptible. Maybe he isn?t lying, and he actually believes all the BS he says. From what I read in that last Clave Digital article I posted, his discourse is no different from Hugo Chavez. I would even say he is heavily influenced (they say the same things). Like Chavez, Padre Rogelio Cruz is a populist and as most populist, they don?t mind making irresponsible statements no matter how ridiculous they are. Making these statements as a public figure alone should invalidate what he does, but what making these statements using the Church as a banner, is just plain disgusting.

That's strange that the church has not figured out that he is using them, anyway the most they have done is move him from parish to parish. The church could defrock and excommunicate him, but I guess at this point it would draw too much attention.

Can you name someone out there in the DR that is well known that is speaking against corruption and for the poor that you will support.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Can you name someone out there in the DR that is well known that is speaking against corruption and for the poor that you will support.

current vice-president, but only to a certain extent

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
thanatos,

The polls show that few Dominicans trust governmental institutions. What they do trust is the Church and Universities. If this guy wasn?t a priest, he would just be ignored like most other extreme leftists in the country. He is using the Catholic Church, a supposed sacred institution which Dominicans hold high, to gain political leverage.

The problem is that most Dominicans would never think a priest would lie. A priest is incorruptible. Maybe he isn?t lying, and he actually believes all the BS he says. From what I read in that last Clave Digital article I posted, his discourse is no different from Hugo Chavez. I would even say he is heavily influenced (they say the same things). Like Chavez, Padre Rogelio Cruz is a populist and as most populist, they don?t mind making irresponsible statements no matter how ridiculous they are. Making these statements as a public figure alone should invalidate what he does, but what making these statements using the Church as a banner, is just plain disgusting.

That's strange that the church has not figured out that he is using them, anyway the most they have done is move him from parish to parish. The church could defrock and excommunicate him, but I guess at this point it would draw too much attention.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
current vice-president, but only to a certain extent

You are referring to Vice-President Rafael Alburquerque. He is second in command of the government that many in this forum complain about. But again to a certain extent he just might be an honest politico according to you.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
It will be interesting to see how this whole thing pans out now that we are back into the weekly news cycle.

I am not crazy about leftists or anti-Americanism but free speech needs to be extended to everyone. Protesters also need to know that while you have a right to "speak"...nobody has to listen.

Free speech is the greatest thing in the world but it won't stop you from making an ass out of yourself.

Scandall

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"Liberty, if it means anything, is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
"Liberty, if it means anything, is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Well, people also have the right not to listen. I support everybody's right to protest and demonstrate but it doesn't mean I have to agree with them or listen to it.

Unpopular speech needs even more protection. It's easy to support popular causes. Just because these guys appear to be "wingnuts" (my opinion)...does not mean that they are not entitled to the same protection that a demonstration against crime etc. would get.

Scandall

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Rick, with respect. The Domincan Today? Look at that last sentence:

""Neither the Ministry of Interior and Police nor the Government have nothing to do with that suspension," added Almeyda."

I agree, none of the three parties have nothing to do with the suspension. I think all of them have something to do with the suspension. :p

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
<HR style="COLOR: #173f96" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
It will be interesting to see how this whole thing pans out now that we are back into the weekly news cycle.

I am not crazy about leftists or anti-Americanism but free speech needs to be extended to everyone. Protesters also need to know that while you have a right to "speak"...nobody has to listen.

Free speech is the greatest thing in the world but it won't stop you from making an ass out of yourself.

Scandall

They have of the right to protest. However, some of the leaders of the "Other Fair" had a strong inclination to break the law. Hence why some of those that attended were disgusted by it..

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Chris the editing of the Dominican Today has always left a lot to be desired and has been discussed on this board a number of times. It is because of that that I know that the article should have been translated to (have anything to do with)

I didn't look in the Spanish papers for the article but I'm sure they reported it correctly.

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you Lambada. After reading that article it is very apparent that the statements says they had nothing to do with the situation BUT when I put that paragraph into Bable Fish it came out the way DT reported it. Hehehehe

Rick

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is funny. They reported on the hurricane saying we can expect 'electrical storms' all over the country.

Nevermind.... I still believe those three bodies had everything to do with it ;)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
They have of the right to protest. However, some of the leaders of the "Other Fair" had a strong inclination to break the law. Hence why some of those that attended were disgusted by it..

And?

I'm just wondering why you included my post in yours.

I do not support breaking the law and would have been disgusted by it too.

Scandall

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
Just an update.
Galvan, the organizer of the event, responded to the comments made on one of the blogs I mentioned before. (Here)

Nothing justifies limiting freedom of speech.
My prior comments were directed at the promoters of this event. I still hold that this event should've been depoliticized. A study was made not long ago that classified Dominicans as the most political in the whole of Lat Am. In DR everything from Hospital management to schools are politicized, and it is a serious impediment on our development. This event should've been informational (or cultural as described by an article in Clave Digital). The second you bring out the anti-yanquis shirts and this radical priest, it changes the story.
In my eyes, the organizers are no different from the politicians.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Whether the fair was politicised or not is not the issue. Whomever organized it has the right to run it as they wish, as long as no one is harmed or laws broken. I may not agree with some of the ideas of the organizers but if democracy is to flourish we must accept their right to be heard.

Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus (1913-1960)

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Okay, for those of you that wish to throw around the blame card and cry about freedom of speech let?s look at that which is published.

Someone, don?t know who exactly, decides to put on a fair. They submit their request for permit on 22 Aug for a fair to be held on 26 Aug. (Of those of us that live here we KNOW 3 or 4 day is more then enough time to get a permit, right?) On 25 Aug a denial was issued. On 26 Aug the organizers show up at the park and one gets arrested ?.. STOP, STOP, STOP,,, FREE SREECH, FREE SPEECH !!!!

The one that got arrested is the same one from the link supplied by Bilijou who said,

?Ahora bien, exista lo que exista, yo tampoco estoy obligado a cumplirlo, porque es un decreto injusto, abusivo e ilegal.? Say What???

?Es mi decisi?n personal y tu no tienes derecho a imponerme tu punto de vista.? Say what??? (STOP, STOP, STOP,,, FREE SREECH, FREE SPEECH !!!!)

He also said, ?Yo seguir? instando a romper el decreto cenicienta, y yo asumo mis consecuencias?

So here we have an individual who thinks he has the right to free speech but you can?t speak out against him. An individual that says a legal law is illegal and he therefore thinks he can disobey it. But then again from the other side of his mouth he says he will assume the responsibility for his actions. I guess that last part makes him into a ?good guy?. NOT!!!

As the government has said they would help in the next fair due to their experience with such things I would think help would be a nice thing to have?.. Unless your agenda is to cause trouble!!!!!

Rick

That in bold is my doing.