Out of control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Most politicians are not of the "elites." Neither were most presidents.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Easy Fix !!!! Charge 20$US if unless they upload a Letter from a Medic confirming that they really need a Wheelchair.
That would stop it completely then we'd have people dragging themselves along the floor to get to their gate.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I understand that it is infuriating to see "healthy" people in wheelchairs waiting for DR flights. Bear in mind, however, that not all disabilities are easily discerned.

For example, I need a wheelchair in airports because I cannot walk long distances on my mangled leg. That is easily visible. My son however, was in congestive heart failure at the age of 45. He appeared to be healthy, but struggled to breathe, even with medication. Someone seeing him in a wheelchair would be tempted to jump to an erroneous conclusion. Although he looked hale and hardy, he needed a wheelchair too.

Of course, it is a fact that the service is abused on DR flights. Just please remember that not everyone in a wheelchair is a faker or abusing the service.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That 164K is the equivalent of close to 500 per day. 20 per hour in a 24 hour day.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
My mother has been confined to a wheel chair since 2016 when she fell and damaged a nerve in her right leg. Not a laughing matter.

People who play these stupid games deserve whatever stupid prizes they are awarded in the future.

Reactions: Auryn

Big

Apr 24, 2019
this service is like welfare. Most people have enough dignity, pride and self-respect not to use this scam service.

Reactions: jd426 and Fulano2

ando1991

Dec 5, 2016
Gringos are doing it, too. I saw a guy dancing his ass off in Sosua and at the airport he was frail and debilitated in a wheelchair. Go figure!

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Amazes me how many need the wheelchair to get on the flight ....but when it lands they are able to walk off....its as if the flight stopped off at Lourdes
Someone that can't remain standing for too long until their hips begin to hurt will need a wheelchair in an airport. Just the check-in area and the immigration area often requires waiting in line long enough for the pain to return if they are standing during the entire waiting time. Such person wouldn't look unable to walk or even have a problem from the outside looking in. It isn't that they can't walk, it is that unlike most people standing/walking for a time causes thrm to feel uncomfortable. The average person given a long enough standing time the most they develop are sore feet.

Point is that unless someone has accurate information of what affects every person, most people are clueless. That's not to say that there aren't people that abuse the system, but not everyone that seems as fine as most people is as fine. Add to that that Dominicans tend to be stubborn people that their stomach could be hurting and they say they are fine. This stubborness increases with age.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Someone that can't remain standing for too long until their hips begin to hurt will need a wheelchair in an airport. Just the check-in area and the immigration area often requires waiting in line long enough for the pain to return if they are standing during the entire waiting time. Such person wouldn't look unable to walk or even have a problem from the outside looking in. It isn't that they can't walk, it is that unlike most people standing/walking for a time causes thrm to feel uncomfortable. The average person given a long enough standing time the most they develop are sore feet.

Point is that unless someone has accurate information of what affects every person, most people are clueless. That's not to say that there aren't people that abuse the system, but not everyone that seems as fine as most people is as fine. Add to that that Dominicans tend to be stubborn people that their stomach could be hurting and they say they are fine. This stubborness increases with age.
bogus! If one is so infirm, they should not travel. I have seen servicemen with missing limbs massive surgical scares waiting in airport lines. What keeps them out of service chairs is self-respect. Obese people are not entitled for a service chair because they love burgers and fries. Being older, fat and lazy is not a handicap. If "standing" causes so much pain, stay home and avoid inconveniencing the traveling public. 90% are losers looking for special treatment. Further they want to get boarded first so they do not have to pay for a 1st class ticket and get premium overhead baggage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.