Out of Obama's campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
A neologism has emerged out of Obama's campaign: Ob?manos. The word seems to have been concocted from Obama + v?monos and translates as "Let's go Obama."

Norma

Reactions: Chirimoya

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I heard from different people that they should create an "Obamobile".

Just like the Pope uses.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
25ri82r.jpg

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
(Great picture!)

If the verb is obamar, the imperative ob?manos has other possible meanings:

Make us like Obama. Tell us about Obama. Absorb us into Obama. Make us part of Obama.

Example with a true Spanish verb:
empapar (to soak, to penetrate) ?Emp?panos en tus ideas!

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Obamaha

A neologism has emerged out of Obama's campaign: Ob?manos. The word seems to have been concocted from Obama + v?monos and translates as "Let's go Obama."

Norma

I take a different reading. The word mano and it crazy twin - cuate - are a slang terms for buddy in several Latin American countries, so I'd say the portmanteau Ob?manos roughly translates to "Obamabros" or "Obamapals" or "Obamabrothas."

But the best translation I can think for it is "homeys for Obama" or Obamahomeys (Obamaholmes/Obamahomeboys), because it better captures the spirit in which I see it been used, which it to try and connect Obama with Lationos/Hispanic voters - the young ones in particular.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
From Hoy Digital on November 7, 2008

Obaman?a, the meaning is obvious.

La Obaman?a presente en los MTV Europa - Hoy Digital

Neologisms are an interesting phenomenon in language and usually formed due to a specific situation, occurrence, event etc. Just imagine it's easy for people living in this era to understand the neologisms that have formed and are forming but a few decades from now people will read these words and will not have a clue what they mean or refer to without research.

In literature, I once came cross the word 'trilce', which is a combination of triste + dulce. The author of his genre and time created the neologism which was a representation of a specific theme and sentiment.

--LDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.