Out of the Campo and into the fire

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Holy, out of the blue ad hominem!

Yes, of course I did my homework, which is why I RENTED the place I thought maybe one day I would buy and possibly start a business at. Had I not done my homework, I would have bought the place.

Why can't I start a business with kids? Having kids makes me unsuitable for business starting?

Where would you suggest I move to then? And, for the record I live in between Sosua and Cabarete.

No money lost, thanks for your concern. I'm renting my house in Wisconsin for more than I am paying in rent down here.

There is absolutely no way to plan, or know about the Dominican Republic until you actually live here. So, I am seeing if I like it by renting and actually living here.

This was months ago, and we've settled in quite nicely.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You have an INDOOR POOL????????????
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

?LTSteve? is a good one to talk trash about moving to the DR!!!!!!
He BAILED on the DR because he couldn't make it here!!!
He Don't Live Here NO MO!!!!!!!

ps,...I happen to LOVE ?Hominem?,I always ad some,.... eggs, Hominem with butter & salt, yummy!

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Indoor Pool. Sounds like a good place for the next dr1 nc get together.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I find living in Sosua boring..

How I would survive in the campo is beyond imagining..!

(Where's that suicide thread again?)

Your story is not different from many Gringos who move to a place they know nothing about. Did you do any homework before you left Wisconsin. Coming here with 3 kids to start a business????? I hope you have a lot of funds to fall back on. Sosua is the last place I would have moved to with a family. You seem like you are going from the frying pan into the fire. Ignorance is bliss.....

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. :tired:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I think LT Steve should start a thread (seriously) about his experience, the pitfalls of living in DR, LT (the last paradise on earth that he left)....would be a lot more useful.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I've lived in all three. (campo, sosua, capitol) The campo would be my first pick for raising a family.
Why on earth would anyone move to Sosua
with their family? All of Puerto Plata province is a sh*t hole. There is a reason they are always smiling in your face.
Some of the most beautiful places on the planet are also some of the most dangerous.

If I were you I would look at
San Francisco De Macoris and some of the smaller towns in the Cibao Valley area.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I find living in Sosua boring..

How I would survive in the campo is beyond imagining..!

(Where's that suicide thread again?)
Just Said!! The whole country is beautiful.
Campo and people are the Heart. They leave from the boredom (and thought of money). The beaches are great for a week and then: The cities are good for 1 day or a pass thru.
Have a feeling my next trip will be the last.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
If I were you I would look at
San Francisco De Macoris and some of the smaller towns in the Cibao Valley area.

Really shows what you know about the DR......SF de Mac is a $hithole of $hitholes.....far worse and far more dangerous than Sosua or any of the NC.....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Really shows what you know about the DR......SF de Mac is a $hithole of $hitholes.....far worse and far more dangerous than Sosua or any of the NC.....

You are basing this on what? I've been to SF de Mac a number of times visiting people that live there. Dominicans always like to talk about the crime in their area and as these people ( the hosts) mentioned nothing out of the ordinary.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
SF de M is 'known' as the national drug capital of the DR relative to it's size.

From what I've seen (but don't know) I would go for one of the places between Moca and Tanares in the valley. Really relaxed I would imagine.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
You are basing this on what? I've been to SF de Mac a number of times visiting people that live there. Dominicans always like to talk about the crime in their area and as these people ( the hosts) mentioned nothing out of the ordinary.

Experience Bob, experience.....my ex gf's mom lives there, so I have been there probably more times than you can imagine, and the place is like I said a $hithole period. I also have a friend that lives there, and if it wasn't for her job she would be out of there too.....
If you think its so great, why don't you go live there and prove me wrong........

My thoughts not yours..........

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
SF de M is 'known' as the national drug capital of the DR relative to it's size.

From what I've seen (but don't know) I would go for one of the places between Moca and Tanares in the valley. Really relaxed I would imagine.

and the deportee capital as well. I guess the advantage would be that one may find a lot of English speakers there.:)