Overabundance of chickens.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Was at a nearby " town" today----searching for something that I didn't find 😓----- and there was a huge commotion on a street corner.
While I was queuing outside the agro-vet, I inquired about the ruckus, naturally.
What could warrant dozens and dozens of people to queue up under the sun----- and dang, is it hot !!-----, 2 private security guards and a bunch of PN ?

Cheap chicken of course !!!!!

125 pesos for a 6-8lb chicken ( per my guess-o-meter 😁 ).
That's AT LEAST half-price compared to a pollera.
Speaking with the " supervisor", they cannot afford to keep feeding.the chicken at the " factory". They usually deliver exclusively polleras, but they are apparently buying 50% less, if not more.
So literally getting rid of the chickens by discounting them.

Of course I jumped on the occasion 🤣🤣, only downside---- especially if you think chicken grows on trees and are picked already packed in plastic 😝 ---- is that they are alive......

At 125 pesos, say 2 bucks, one can also gain some brownie points by gifting a couple to family/friends/neighbours who may be in need during these strange times.

I actually thought of dr1 while i was there, observing Life. It was something like " the DR is not a 3d world country because some people drive a Porsche or a Rolls, or whatever "..........i witnessed a guy in a suit in a brand new lexus SUV stuffing live chickens in the backseat 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 .
Also security needed to sell chickens on the street, albeit a couple of thousand, really ???
The DR may not be a 3d world country ( or it may be--- i don't really care either way ) but it ain't Monaco or Courchevel yet !!!!!

malko

Jan 12, 2013

Nope, not very much social distancing involved----- especially compared to shops where we were allowed in 2 by 2 and mandatory masks and even hand lotion on the way in and out, impressed by all that, btw-----while queuing up for cheap chicken roadside.
So i left my phone in the car, the thinking being it is THE most touched object at the moment ( kind of sad when you think of it 😥 ) and i could do w/o a bunch of viruses setting up shop on it------ even though i do wipe it down often.

Lots of regrets though as it could have been the next most-shared meme 😂😂.

P.S. I even kind of regretted throwing the chickens in the back of my pick-up, as one or 2 got hurt on the drive home and splattered blood around....... yeah, i know, poor chickens, but a man gotta eat.....
What happens when you buy them is they pull them out of the " plastic container " and tie the feet of 3 or more chickens together....... a " tug-of-war" is usually the outcome and bodily harm can occur..... not a great way to transport them, but one can hardly slaughter them on the spot, even in a small town.
The saddest part is when i got home, i was so lazy that i didn't even clean the truck 😯😪---- man i really need to be de-confined and put back to work....

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Nope, not very much social distancing involved----- especially compared to shops where we were allowed in 2 by 2 and mandatory masks and even hand lotion on the way in and out, impressed by all that, btw-----while queuing up for cheap chicken roadside.
So i left my phone in the car, the thinking being it is THE most touched object at the moment ( kind of sad when you think of it 😥 ) and i could do w/o a bunch of viruses setting up shop on it------ even though i do wipe it down often.

Lots of regrets though as it could have been the next most-shared meme 😂😂.

P.S. I even kind of regretted throwing the chickens in the back of my pick-up, as one or 2 got hurt on the drive home and splattered blood around....... yeah, i know, poor chickens, but a man gotta eat.....
What happens when you buy them is they pull them out of the " plastic container " and tie the feet of 3 or more chickens together....... a " tug-of-war" is usually the outcome and bodily harm can occur..... not a great way to transport them, but one can hardly slaughter them on the spot, even in a small town.
The saddest part is when i got home, i was so lazy that i didn't even clean the truck 😯😪---- man i really need to be de-confined and put back to work....

I don't know about the truck, but I hope you hosed yourself down before entering the house.

Reactions: malko

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I don't know about the truck, but I hope you hosed yourself down before entering the house.

Well to get into the gory details, i only hosed myself down after we butchered the poor birds, plunged them in a pan full of boiling water ( over a wood fire in the fogon (?), of course ), plucked their feathers, emptied them ( if you see what i mean ), washed them with bitter oranges and cut them up.
Then i used a hose---literally---, una cuvetta de pintura, savon de cuava (?) and scrubbed before entering the house...... i fit right in, in my campo 😁😁.

Also preparing chicken just the 2 of us ( my wife and me ) would be a lenghty--- and messy---work.
Handing out a few chicken also means the neighbourhood ( a big word for a couple of houses ) means everybody pitches in. Kind of a bonding session 😀

malko

Jan 12, 2013
"washed them with bitter oranges"

Did you add a bit of vinegar?

No, it seems to be either/or around here.

Fresh, as in the fruit itself, bitter oranges when you can get your hands on some----- in this case we sent a couple of kids tree climbing.
Or bitter orange vinegar, " home-made".

Last resort is a commercial vinegar like " ranchero" or some other brand.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Fresh, as in the fruit itself, bitter oranges when you can get your hands on some----- in this case we sent a couple of kids tree climbing.

Naranja agria are like gold in the campo, we have a couple of trees. When family come out from SD, they always want some to take back.

Here in the USA, we only have bottled, Goya and some other brands, not the same but better than nothing.

Sep 22, 2009

It actually works well and tastes great too. A drop in the beans too. If you're frying chicken, however use lime, not bitter orange.

Many folks sell the juice with seasoning, i.e. garlic and oregano, etc. But why rely on someone else's tastes.