Overstay/Exit fine went up last week?!?!?!

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
told a friend today to arrive a good long time in advance of his plane departure time....because he will not have that amount...
what will they do if you dont have the fee?

As per usual it will depend on who you get. A friend left lat month after over a year, was just shuffled on through, didn't pay a thing. He was about to explain and go through the dates entering till then and the guy just said 'no problem, ya!' waved him on past.

Although appears that they are getting organized, it believe as long as it involves competency, it is still Lotto Dominicano!

Last edited:

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
It's not? Then what is it? Not that I qualify, I haven't been here long enough

It gives you permission to be here. It is basically for the stateless Haitians but us gringos can benefit from it too.

Not sure how long you've been here but i believe you only need 6 months to apply.
(could be wrong on that, but i think so)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Vinyasa, obviously YOU have not TRIED to go through the "Regularization" process!!!!!
I have an American friend in Santiago who has been "TRYING" for over 6 months!!!
Even the dominicans at the office have no idea what is needed.
He has been sent to Santo Domingo twice, and the requierments changed MANY TIMES!!!!
It was meant to help the Haitians,...Soooooooooooooooooooooooo do you expect it to actually work?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Then what is it?

It's a "Carnet de regularizaci?n" valid 2 years, like that :

210055adjghgaf.png

It's not? Then what is it? Not that I qualify, I haven't been here long enough

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Vinyasa, obviously YOU have not TRIED to go through the "Regularization" process!!!!!
I have an American friend in Santiago who has been "TRYING" for over 6 months!!!
Even the dominicans at the office have no idea what is needed.
He has been sent to Santo Domingo twice, and the requierments changed MANY TIMES!!!!
It was meant to help the Haitians,...Soooooooooooooooooooooooo do you expect it to actually work?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Then he is clearly doing the wrong thing!
There is no need to go to SD. Everything can be done in Pop.
I am currently in the process....time will tell :)

Ok, just read your post properly!
Santiago may well be more complicated, but Pop is strangely organised

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
As residency has gotten so pricey, why not just opt for the easier and free 'regularizacion' option?
You need do nothing in your home country and can complete everything in Pop.

Its not residency, but it does give you permission to be here and to be honest, that seems good enough for me.

I guess it gives you a 1 year permission, then you have to do the "normal" residency process to stay here. I read this in another thread:

"The Dominican government started the implementation of the National Legalization Plan earlier this month to legalize the status of all immigrants who entered into Dominican territory illegally, as well as of those who, having entered legally, overstayed the period of admittance.

The Dominican government will grant a special identification card to all foreigners residing irregularly in Dominican Republic, provided that they can establish that they had been residing in the country on a permanent basis before the new immigration regulations came into effect on October 11, 2011.

The ID card will be valid for one year and the holder, upon expiration, may apply for regular residency under Immigration Law 258-04"

http://dr1.com/forums/living/143813-great-news-foreigners-looking-get-their-cedula-under-new-process-5.html

But who knows

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I suspect that the 2 year Regularizacion will inevitably be extended.
They are already talking about extending the date by which applications must be in by, due to a backlog :)

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I suspect that the 2 year Regularizacion will inevitably be extended.
They are already talking about extending the date by which applications must be in by, due to a backlog :)

Jan 22, 2010
Where is the office exactly in POP?

T.E.

Then he is clearly doing the wrong thing!
There is no need to go to SD. Everything can be done in Pop.
I am currently in the process....time will tell :)

Ok, just read your post properly!
Santiago may well be more complicated, but Pop is strangely organised

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Where is the office exactly in POP?

T.E.

It is in the building between the headquarters of the Polic?a Nacional and the Polideportivo on Avenida Luis Ginebra. That building is the office of the governor of the Province of Puerto Plata. For a while, there were huge lines there every morning. I used to see them on my way into the office each day.

drSooz

Nov 2, 2014
I only come for winter vacation and rent a condo and I had no trouble paying the 800 peso "overstay" but now they are jacking it up to 2500 pesos? I spend a lot of money on rent, food, entertainment etc. I do not live in the DR I am a vacationer so if they want to rob me like this I will just have to research other places to go to for two or three month each winter. to go from 42CD bucks for the wife and I to 130CD bucks is not that bad but what a scam. Yes lets fien people who come to spend lots of money so they will not return again.

Agree Redserge, To go up is one thing, but from 800 to 2500 is ridiculous. It is what it is though.... Getting tougher to travel with the medical insurance, flights have gone UP, but we'll go as long as we can.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Your coming in on a 15 day tourist card, not a visa, after that your illegal! Can you do that in Canada? Still less than you will pay for beer and smokes. suck it up

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I am not sure when the fees were last increase but it was many years ago. It is a pleasure to come here to this country and laze around in the sun, I for one am happy to pay the new overstay fees as IMO the old rates were not really effective. Love this country and hopefully the money will give a little boost to their coffers. In the last ten years my friends here in the campo have had electricity, water and a asphalt road put into the area.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Your coming in on a 15 day tourist card, not a visa, after that your illegal! Can you do that in Canada? Still less than you will pay for beer and smokes. suck it up

I do not drink, I do not smoke. The DR tourist card is for 30 days NOT 15 and in Canada you can get a 30 day a 60 day or a 90 day card just like the USA. Your reply to my post was erroneous incorrect not factual and rude. Better sometimes to remain silent and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and confirm it.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011

I do not drink, I do not smoke. The DR tourist card is for 30 days NOT 15 and in Canada you can get a 30 day a 60 day or a 90 day card just like the USA. Your reply to my post was erroneous incorrect not factual and rude. Better sometimes to remain silent and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and confirm it.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I read somewhere that people with a temporary residency now have to pay the overstay fees when leaving, just as one would with a tourist card. That has never been the case before. I am on year two of my temp res. (will get permanent in April) and fly this month. My overstay fee will be huge if I have to pay it (and my husband!). Anyone know anything about this? What is the point of temp. residency if we still have to pay!? Arrrg.