Overstay fee after receiving tourist visa extension?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think you're looking at a gift horse in the mouth here. DGM has some reason in mind for offering this.
Nah, they don't care how long gringo's stay. Forget about it. Just stay as long as you want and pay on the way out as many times as you want to.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

You were told right:​

• REQUIREMENTS​

• Copy of the passport page where the biometric data is.
    • Stamp of the date of the last entry to the country.
    • Return boarding pass.
They seem to have moved the goal post again.. been reported in to addition to above , Medical and proof of solvency Needed ,so 5 things needed to extend tourist card now.. one step forward two steps back!

Reactions: AlaPlaya

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They seem to have moved the goal post again.. been reported in to addition to above , Medical and proof of solvency Needed ,so 5 things needed to extend tourist card now.. one step forward two steps back!
If that's true, very few will bother applying for it.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
If that's true, very few will bother applying for it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No, there is no medical nor proof of solvency. Please go to the link:

Here are the all of the requirements to extend the stay for up to 120 days in total:

REQUIREMENTS​

• Copy of the passport page where the biometric data is.
  • Stamp of the date of the last entry to the country.
  • Return boarding pass.

PROCEDURE TO FOLLOW​

1- The user makes the extension request through the web portal and uploads the required documents.

2- The responsible staff receives the application online and debug the documents supplied by the user.

3- The request for extension of stay by the corresponding staff is approved.

4- An email is sent to the user informing about the status of their request.

5- The user makes the payment of stay online or at the airport.

Reactions: Riva_31

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Now when I leave the country, at the airport I tell them I owe a overstay fee....I have found its the easiest way to do things as its the way thats they are used to and taking money always seems to make them smile, and the way I look at it the cheapest for me.......
love your comment........they smile because they think it's the finally they can get their in your pocket before leaving..

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
How long are you boys going to keep beating this dead horse? We get it, Sky doesn't think you need to get the overstay permission, Windeguy does. Round and round and round and round.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Interesting. You extend your tourist card from 30 days to 120 days online. Now--can you extend it a second time? or what happens if you stay past the 120 days?

If you stay past the 120 days, you pay the difference between what the exit fee would be, and what you have already paid, at the airport. So for example if you paid 4500 for the 120 days and the exit fee when you left would be 6000, you pay 1500. That's what happened to me. You can't extend the tourist card more than 120 days.

Reactions: AlaPlaya and cavok

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you stay past the 120 days, you pay the difference between what the exit fee would be, and what you have already paid, at the airport. So for example if you paid 4500 for the 120 days and the exit fee when you left would be 6000, you pay 1500. That's what happened to me. You can't extend the tourist card more than 120 days.
So you have to jump through hoops now for what? What do you gain by not just paying like everyone else when you leave.............

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How long are you boys going to keep beating this dead horse? We get it, Sky doesn't think you need to get the overstay permission, Windeguy does. Round and round and round and round.
I have stated above that they will never give a gringo problems. You think that means I say they need to get pay the overstay fine in advance? I simply am correcting erroneous information on how someone can pay for up to 120 days if they want to.

The DR government, I am convinced , will never enforce the laws as written no matter how many times they say they are going to do so. Gringos will never have a problem if they overstay frequently or for years on end. The DR government just doesn't care if gringos remain in the country illegally. That is obvious to all, is it not?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have stated above that they will never give a gringo problems. You think that means I say they need to get pay the overstay fine in advance? I simply am correcting erroneous information on how someone can pay for up to 120 days if they want to.

The DR government, I am convinced , will never enforce the laws as written no matter how many times they say they are going to do so. Gringos will never have a problem if they overstay frequently or for years on end. The DR government just doesn't care if gringos remain in the country illegally. That is obvious to all, is it not?

It's obvious now but it is subject to change. This is not a guarantee.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It's obvious now but it is subject to change. This is not a guarantee.
I have expected a "change" for many years, especially after the current government took over.
But, they lied and nothing changed about the lack of law enforcement.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
So you have to jump through hoops now for what? What do you gain by not just paying like everyone else when you leave.............

As has been stated 9 million times (or at least it feels like it), if you get the overstay permission you are then legally in the country. Although Migracion has never (we believe) deported a gringo for overstaying on the tourist card, technically they could do as there is nothing in immigration law which legally entitles someone to overstay.

The reason I would always get the overstay permission is because if anything happened to me - and serious things have happened to me in the past in this country - then I wouldn't want anyone to have the chance to say I am illegally in the country. I have two different travel insurance policies for the same reason, just to make sure I'm covered if the worst should happen.

You only need to look at the number of Haitians they are now deporting, literally rounding them up and sticking them on buses in the capital, and the hardening of attitudes to Venezuelans to realise that things are changing. Obviously rich expats are not the focus, but it wouldn't be hard to get caught in the crossfire on this one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As has been stated 9 million times (or at least it feels like it), if you get the overstay permission you are then legally in the country. Although Migracion has never (we believe) deported a gringo for overstaying on the tourist card, technically they could do as there is nothing in immigration law which legally entitles someone to overstay.

The reason I would always get the overstay permission is because if anything happened to me - and serious things have happened to me in the past in this country - then I wouldn't want anyone to have the chance to say I am illegally in the country. I have two different travel insurance policies for the same reason, just to make sure I'm covered if the worst should happen.

You only need to look at the number of Haitians they are now deporting, literally rounding them up and sticking them on buses in the capital, and the hardening of attitudes to Venezuelans to realise that things are changing. Obviously rich expats are not the focus, but it wouldn't be hard to get caught in the crossfire on this one.
I disagree. The government simply does not care about tourist card gringos overstaying. They do want to deport illegal Haitians.

And didn't the government set up offices to help Venezuelans become legal while in the DR, no need to return home for anything? How is that a hardening?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I disagree. The government simply does not care about tourist card gringos overstaying. They do want to deport illegal Haitians.

And didn't the government set up offices to help Venezuelans become legal while in the DR, no need to return home for anything? How is that a hardening?

I think we are agreeing. I said rich expats are not the focus, I agree the government doesn't seem to care if we overstay. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that this could change and that gringos could get caught up in the crossfire of all the Haitians being deported at some point in the future.

I always prefer to be as legal as I can be, so that's why I would get the overstay permission.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have spent considerable time in many countries in Europe and elsewhere. I have never been in any country that is easier to assimilate into as a foreigner than the Dominican Republic. You can literally be here for years and never encounter a problem due to immigration...................

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I still don't see that as a good reason not to take advantage of the extension. The government could have just as easily made it 180 days. I don't know why they didn't(?).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I still don't see that as a good reason not to take advantage of the extension. The government could have just as easily made it 180 days. I don't know why they didn't(?).
They didn't make it 180 days because they cannot think clearly.

Make it 180 days, call it a "snowbird" visa where only certain countries like tourist card countries can get it, and then actually go after those that over stay 180 days.

That would be my approach.

Reactions: cavok

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

A tourist visa to the US or the UK only allows a maximum 90 day stay. 120 days is generous