Overstay fee after receiving tourist visa extension?

matt77y

Jan 4, 2003
I have successfully applied for an extension of my tourist visa for up to 4 months.

Will I still have to pay the overstay fee at the airport upon leaving the country?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have successfully applied for an extension of my tourist visa for up to 4 months.

Will I still have to pay the overstay fee at the airport upon leaving the country?
Probably because you might be the only one to ever successfully do this and they never heard of it at the airport. Let us know the results please.

Reactions: badpiece33

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Yes

you can pay when doing extension or at airport ..old expression gas cash or _ _ _ either way you have to pay!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't know for sure, but I would have thought that you would have to pay the overstay fee for any time you are here after the extension expires.

Reactions: CristoRey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As far as I have read - you are good

The two options for overstay are -
1/ pay at the airport
2/ extend online (as you did)

You are paid..... keep your proof of payment handy, just in case... your extension

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Sounds like a double pay..... let's hear the answer

The online payment is supposed to trump the airport one

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had to pay the fee only once, upon leavin at the airport. But I had to pay a doctor examination as well for the extension.
Thanks. Not many are going to go through that procedure to extend their stay. I expected you would have to pay up front for the extension.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You guys are confusing both.
The extension provides legal standing during the stay in the country only! If something was to happen to the person, her stay is 100% legal and binding to any rules.
The overstay fee, means just that, an overstay fee. It has zilch to do with the legal standing of the person in the DR. Paying the overstay fee on exit without having extended your visa-free time allowed, doesn’t provide legal standing during the stay if anything should happen or happened already by the time of the exit.
The extension is a means to being legally in the DR. That’s all!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The extension provides legal standing during the stay in the country only! If something was to happen to the person, her stay is 100% legal and binding to any rules.
The overstay fee, means just that, an overstay fee. It has zilch to do with the legal standing of the person in the DR. Paying the overstay fee on exit without having extended your visa-free time allowed, doesn’t provide legal standing during the stay if anything should happen or happened already by the time of the exit.
Does the extension actually have a basis in current DR laws or is it just a "regulation" made up to handle this particular situation?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't that the WHOLE point of extending your time ?

To be legal !!??

You declare yourself and (I gather) pay online or at exit - airport

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Well, I still think the main question of the OP is if he has to pay the overstay fee when leaving, which you technically didn't answer. Because if he has to pay the overstay fee even with the visa extension, then what's the point of the extension? Because legal or not, what difference does it make? DR is not like other countries where if you are "illegal" in the country you get deported and then have trouble or not allowed back in a certain amount of time. If you are here +30 days and doesn't have any extension or residency, then you'll only have to pay the overstay fee and leave and when you want to come back you just enter the country.
So why would you pay for an extension if you anyways would have to pay when leaving?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Also the extention to stay in the country must be done before expire the 30 days goving on arrival, so if you leave rhe country before expire the extention nothing pay at the airport if the process to obtain the extention is already paid the fee.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
In principle, the extension should allow the person legal stay in the country for the period issued, which would exempt the person from paying any overstay fees.
In practice, this still has yet to be fully implemented in all ports of entry/exit as of today.
At some locations it might work, at others it might not. Including knowledge of this by staff at those check points.

I believe it’s still rolling out and should be finalized sometime before summertime.