Overstay fee after receiving tourist visa extension?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
That almost answered my question.

So, after 120 day absolute maximum approved stays currently available by request with Migracion, is someone illegal on day 121?

we are not going down that rabbit hole again.

stick to the original topic

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Everyone needs to go back to the original topic...

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I have successfully applied for an extension of my tourist visa for up to 4 months.

Will I still have to pay the overstay fee at the airport upon leaving the country?
To make a short summary of what has been discussed. In theory you shouldn't have to pay overstay fee. But in practice it all depends on who is at migration desk when you are leaving. Just to highlight this fact, I have friends that have residency but because their passports was about to expire they could not renew it directly but had to go back home and renew the passport first. When at the DGM office they were told they would not have to pay anything when leaving at the airport. (as they are still going to have to pay for the expired residency cards/cédula) But when they arrived at the airport they still had to pay the fee, just because they wasn't aware of any exceptions.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I have successfully applied for an extension of my tourist visa for up to 4 months.

Will I still have to pay the overstay fee at the airport upon leaving the country?

What web browser did you use to do it? I have been trying to apply this morning but the "continue" button isn't working on any of the browsers I've tried.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Look at this attachment, more crystal clear for you all.

Attachments

• overstay.png
    overstay.png
    47 KB · Views: 167
Reactions: Joseph NY2STI

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I personally had this situation. I applied for the 120 day extension online, no medical required, just did it online and they sent me a certificate to say I was approved. But because of the pandemic I ended up staying much longer, 170 days in total. So when I went to the airport at SDQ they calculated the standard overstay fee, less what I had paid for the 120 days, and that’s what I paid. You just pay the extra if you stay longer. So it makes complete sense to extend online as Pichardo has said it makes you legal in the country. It doesn’t cost any more and if you had a problem or an accident it would make things much easier if you were here legally.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I personally had this situation. I applied for the 120 day extension online, no medical required, just did it online and they sent me a certificate to say I was approved. But because of the pandemic I ended up staying much longer, 170 days in total. So when I went to the airport at SDQ they calculated the standard overstay fee, less what I had paid for the 120 days, and that’s what I paid. You just pay the extra if you stay longer. So it makes complete sense to extend online as Pichardo has said it makes you legal in the country. It doesn’t cost any more and if you had a problem or an accident it would make things much easier if you were here legally.
Did you upload anything into the section that says "medical certificate"?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Did you upload anything into the section that says "medical certificate"?
If you can get the legal maximum (30+90) extension without paying online, then is it not better to pay when you leave? Number one, there is no risk of double paying and number two, as in my case, I never know exactly how long I want to stay, (60, 90, 120) so I would only pay for the time actually stayed? Also, When is a medical required? Thank you DR1.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Now when I leave the country, at the airport I tell them I owe a overstay fee....I have found its the easiest way to do things as its the way thats they are used to and taking money always seems to make them smile, and the way I look at it the cheapest for me.......

Reactions: RDKNIGHT and PCMike

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
If you can get the legal maximum (30+90) extension without paying online, then is it not better to pay when you leave? Number one, there is no risk of double paying and number two, as in my case, I never know exactly how long I want to stay, (60, 90, 120) so I would only pay for the time actually stayed? Also, When is a medical required? Thank you DR1.
Re the medical certificate--When you're trying to request an extension online, the government website requires the medical certificate to be uploaded and a bank statement to be uploaded to show proof of solvency.

• Wow

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Re the medical certificate--When you're trying to request an extension online, the government website requires the medical certificate to be uploaded and a bank statement to be uploaded to show proof of solvency.
Umm.. your doing something wrong..wrong portal…tourist card extension is one you want!!! Not visa extension, apples and oranges..no medical req. for tourist card extension..

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Umm.. your doing something wrong..wrong portal…tourist card extension is one you want!!! Not visa extension, apples and oranges..no medical req. for tourist card extension..
No, it's the correct website for the tourist card extension. And it's populated with those boxes that do not allow you to pass to the next screen until you upload them. I used the website to which William Webster linked.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
No, it's the correct website for the tourist card extension. And it's populated with those boxes that do not allow you to pass to the next screen until you upload them. I used the website to which William Webster linked.
There is no medical for touris card extension…passport ..return ticket number.. email address.. that’s it..that’s all I and my family have ever entered..what can I tell you welcome to DR :)