Overstay fee after receiving tourist visa extension?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A tourist visa to the US or the UK only allows a maximum 90 day stay. 120 days is generous
A tourist visa to the US will allow you to stay 6 months. Visa waivers only give you 90 days. I think the DR should be happy to have a tourist come and spend money here for 6 months. I really don't see anything generous about it. There are quite a few countries that allow tourists to stay for 6 months.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
A tourist visa to the US will allow you to stay 6 months. Visa waivers only give you 90 days. I think the DR should be happy to have a tourist come and spend money here for 6 months. I really don't see anything generous about it. There are quite a few countries that allow tourists to stay for 6 months.

I think we are all talking about the Dominican Tourist Card here, which compares to the US Visa Waiver. If you wanted to apply for a US Tourist Visa, it would be similar to applying for temporary residency in the DR, a much more complex process involving medicals, checking your income levels etc.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
No, there is no medical nor proof of solvency. Please go to the link:

Here are the all of the requirements to extend the stay for up to 120 days in total:

REQUIREMENTS​

• Copy of the passport page where the biometric data is.
  • Stamp of the date of the last entry to the country.
  • Return boarding pass.

PROCEDURE TO FOLLOW​

1- The user makes the extension request through the web portal and uploads the required documents.

2- The responsible staff receives the application online and debug the documents supplied by the user.

3- The request for extension of stay by the corresponding staff is approved.

4- An email is sent to the user informing about the status of their request.

5- The user makes the payment of stay online or at the airport.
Yes I’m aware of how it was to apply for extension …I have personally received extension effortlessly when it started 2yrs ago… things have changed you can’t proceed online application without medical and proof of solvency ..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think we are all talking about the Dominican Tourist Card here, which compares to the US Visa Waiver. If you wanted to apply for a US Tourist Visa, it would be similar to applying for temporary residency in the DR, a much more complex process involving medicals, checking your income levels etc.
Applying for a US visa here is relatively easy. Getting one isn't. All you need to do is fill out a DS-160 which is fairly simple. No financial info required nor is a medical required. A residency application is much more complicated and all those things are needed.

Reactions: bienamor

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can stay here for 6 years and pay when you leave. And many have stayed that long or longer................

• Love
Reactions: RDKNIGHT

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes I’m aware of how it was to apply for extension …I have personally received extension effortlessly when it started 2yrs ago… things have changed you can’t proceed online application without medical and proof of solvency ..
So far, we only have one poster saying those things are required. I'd really like to hear from some others. I'm not saying that he/she is making it up.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There are many tourists staying in the US for 6 years and longer, too, and they don't have to pay anything when they leave. Good luck trying to come back though.
Are you talking about coming back to the US or the DR? Because you CAN come back to the DR after 6 years or even more. Many here have done just that. Not the US though.................

Reactions: Grampa

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A tourist visa to the US "allows" a maximum stay in the US of 6 months, However, if you stay more than 3 months, when you go to renew that tourist visa, it is very likely it will be denied unless there are extenuating circumstances. When my wife last renewed her tourist visa, the person in front of her had stayed for over three months and wanted a renewal. The agent at the US embassy said VERY LOUDLY SO ALL COULD HEAR:

A stay of that many months is NOT a vacation. Request for Renewal denied! Next...

That person was not the only one denied for staying longer than a couple of months.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Fascinating.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
A tourist visa to the US "allows" a maximum stay in the US of 6 months, However, if you stay more than 3 months, when you go to renew that tourist visa, it is very likely it will be denied unless there are extenuating circumstances. When my wife last renewed her tourist visa, the person in front of her had stayed for over three months and wanted a renewal. The agent at the US embassy said VERY LOUDLY SO ALL COULD HEAR:

A stay of that many months is NOT a vacation. Request for Renewal denied! Next...

That person was not the only one denied for staying longer than a couple of months.

We are also comparing apples with oranges here. The US has a visa waiver programme which allows people to apply for an electronic travel authorisation online called an ESTA and this allows 90 days. The Dominican Republic has a system where you apply for an e-ticket online before you travel and this allows for visa-free entry for 30 days extendable to 120 days. This is the comparison. Neither the Dominican tourist card, nor the US ESTA are visas as such.

Reactions: cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So far, we only have one poster saying those things are required. I'd really like to hear from some others. I'm not saying that he/she is making it up.
If getting the extension of a tourist card extension for up to 120 days maximum truly needs a medical exam and proof of solvency then it is as useless a mechanism as teats on a bull.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
The overstay topic is the topic that keeps on giving....
44B6E1D2-13DB-42BF-9A80-6FC3DFF2761D.jpeg

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I'm said poster.

I have since successfully applied for a second extension. Thought I would share that I used the health certificate from my previous application with this one, and the fact that it was a few months old did not affect my application.