Overstay

matt77y

Jan 4, 2003
Until recently you could basically stay in DR for as long as you wanted and then pay an "exit fee" on your departure.

I understand this has changed and now you are apparently required to apply online for an extension of your stay if you want to stay more than 30 days (https://servicios.migracion.gob.do/reentry/request).
From what I heard for this you need to present (upload) a copy of your return flight ticket (please correct me if I'm wrong).

My situation: I am in DR for 3 weeks already and want to stay more than 30 days but don't know for how long yet (certainly less than 120 days though), and so I haven't bought a return ticket yet.

My questions:
1. am I really required to apply for the extension now or can I just pay the "extension fee" at the airport on departure (like in the "old" days)? Would this have any consequences?
2. if I do have to apply now, is it true that I have to present a plane ticket or can I just enter a return date?

Thank you.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Until recently you could basically stay in DR for as long as you wanted and then pay an "exit fee" on your departure.

I understand this has changed and now you are apparently required to apply online for an extension of your stay if you want to stay more than 30 days (https://servicios.migracion.gob.do/reentry/request).
From what I heard for this you need to present (upload) a copy of your return flight ticket (please correct me if I'm wrong).

My situation: I am in DR for 3 weeks already and want to stay more than 30 days but don't know for how long yet (certainly less than 120 days though), and so I haven't bought a return ticket yet.

My questions:
1. am I really required to apply for the extension now or can I just pay the "extension fee" at the airport on departure (like in the "old" days)? Would this have any consequences?
2. if I do have to apply now, is it true that I have to present a plane ticket or can I just enter a return date?

Thank you.
No one really knows what they are going to do about it going forward. Perhaps applying for an extension is just a waste of time...
or perhaps not.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Matt77y,

I don't think much has changed. Certainly no reports of overstaying tourists being hassled on the streets. I am certain you will be directed to pay the exit fine when you leave if you do not get an extension. The overstay may be noted on your computer immigration file. Consequences? I do not know. The requirements for the documents you need to upload are listed on the extension website. Yes a copy of your return ticket is one of the requested documents. It comes down to your comfort level. Do you value having a paper that says you are legal to stay in the DR beyond 30 days or not.

pokerplayer

Mar 22, 2020
My questions:

Thank you.
I returned to the US last week after a 60 day trip. I paid the $2500 peso fee at the airport. As far as I know there is no consequence to this but things could change as noted in the above post. I didn't apply for the extension as I was unsure of my exact return date.

The DGM (Dominican immigration) website states a scanned copy of your passport, entry stamp, and return ticket is required. Here's the link for extension information in English. It states boarding pass but the Spanish link states boleto (ticket)

Click here for the link to apply. Good luck!

Reactions: Caonabo