Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cortez

THis reminds me of old childhood brain twister--
maybe we can lure our physicist back

A man stands on a train with a gun.
Bullet barrel velocity is 60mph.... train is going 60mph

If he fires.... will the bullet leave the barrel ?

WW....from my experience the train becomes a stationary object..and the bullet goes out the barrel at the prescribed feet per second....Cortez.....

B

bienamor

just a note on the question about recoil and punch. not quite true as proven by the US military during the spanish american war. I dont know of a .45 knocking the shooter down, I know when I qualified with it I stayed on my feet. Might not knock someone down when hit but will stop most forward movement.

During the 1890’s the US Military issued revolvers that fired the .38 Colt. The rimmed .38 Colt came in two flavors, long and short, with the same 150 grain lead bullet driven to 770 feet per second, with 195 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

The Moro Rebellion after the Spanish American War demonstrated the fact that the .38 Colt was an unsatisfactory man stopper. The Moros would take a cylinder of .38 Colt’s and keep on coming. With the result that many American soldiers were either seriously wounded or killed by the Moro’s knives.

The Army replaced the .38’s with .45’s, first with the .45 Long Colt, and then with the ballistically similar .45 ACP in the 1911 “Government Model.” One of the .45 ACP’s standard 230 grain “balls” at 855 feet per second and 405 foot pounds of muzzle energy often did what six of the .38 Colt’s bullets could not do. Stop a charging Moro cold.

W

william webster

WW....from my experience the train becomes a stationary object..and the bullet goes out the barrel at the prescribed feet per second....Cortez.....

Well, I didn't read the MythBusters report... quoted earlier - and really don't care

Following your theme...
if the train was moving at 8mph and I ran in the opposite direction of its motion at 8mph...

would I get anywhere..... in the real world
or be like a treadmill

I haven't thought of these schoolboy brain teasers since about 5th grade

haha

R

Randle

Well, I didn't read the MythBusters report... quoted earlier - and really don't care

Following your theme...
if the train was moving at 8mph and I ran in the opposite direction of its motion at 8mph...

would I get anywhere..... in the real world
or be like a treadmill

I haven't thought of these schoolboy brain teasers since about 5th grade

haha

Talking about bullets, the bullet is not in contact with train, unlike your feet.

B

Big

A 45 ACP will put a big hole in a dude, but it will not stop forward motion. What stops his forward motion is blood loss, broken bones and if you are lucky enough to hit him in the brain you will turn him off like a light switch. Shoot a deer with a rifled slug and he will run for 150yards before he bleeds out but it wont knock him down

W

william webster

One bullet and a shotgun spray might have a different impact

Not a la Dick Tracy...

haha

A

AlterEgo

Sorry to spoil the fun, but there’s little regarding the OP or DR happening here.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.