Oxfam Sex Scandal in Haiti

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
You may need a NYTimes subscription to get this but -

Look for the interview w/ Minnie Driver about OXFAM & #MeToo

also , Haiti has started an investigation into ALL the charities regarding their prostitution allegations.... ALL!!
The focus on underage girls.

OXFAM UK has already shipped its people out... they are currently under suspension and subject to ejection based on the investigation's results.

Haiti is taking charge.... it seems

Be careful what you want to believe ; 'are always hidden agendas' . A particular 'Aid' Agency would like to be the only one in Haiti... Power is where the food and water is..... For posterity sake I shall repeat my advise to read ''Travesty in Haiti'' by Tim Schwartz. This is real document exposing the intent of the Aid Agencies. He was severely reprimanded by US Gov. and told not to publish his findings. Tim is a Professional and PhD . His work is excellent and exposes all.
He is also married to a Dominican Woman and lives near Luperon when not out in International community assessing Humanitarian Issues. After his Publishing his book he was sent by the UN to Democratic Republic of the Congo for similar assessments. Of all the things I have done, I would not want to be in Tim's shoes. PLease someone A real eye opener.
Russellthe book.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Be careful what you want to believe ; 'are always hidden agendas' . A particular 'Aid' Agency would like to be the only one in Haiti... Power is where the food and water is..... For posterity sake I shall repeat my advise to read ''Travesty in Haiti'' by Tim Schwartz. This is real document exposing the intent of the Aid Agencies. He was severely reprimanded by US Gov. and told not to publish his findings. Tim is a Professional and PhD . His work is excellent and exposes all.
He is also married to a Dominican Woman and lives near Luperon when not out in International community assessing Humanitarian Issues. After his Publishing his book he was sent by the UN to Democratic Republic of the Congo for similar assessments. Of all the things I have done, I would not want to be in Tim's shoes. PLease someone A real eye opener.
Russellthe book.

Please someone read the book it is a real eye opener.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Please someone read the book it is a real eye opener.

I've been reading it. It's really well written.

It does sound like Oxfam has been harboring sexual predators. It's a sad commentary on western organizations as this seems to be a common theme.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I think the problem with NGOs in Haiti and elsewhere is that there is a complete mismatch in scale between local economics and the NGO resources. If the locals live on pennies a day, then you need to work with nickels & dimes. Creating titanic economic distortions with millions of dollars is a recipe for disaster.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It does sound like Oxfam has been harboring sexual predators. It's a sad commentary on western organizations as this seems to be a common theme.

They were fired and the CD was allowed to resign. It was poorly handled but a far cry from harbouring.

This goes some way to explain the context. https://newint.org/blog/2018/02/15/trashing-of-oxfam

Here is a relevant extract:

Anyone who has worked for an international aid organization in a disaster setting will have come across incidents of immorality or embezzlement, over-mighty behaviour, sexual misconduct and the rest. Shocking though this is, it is not very surprising. These environments are invariably chaotic, lawless, violent and deeply unequal. The people hired to work in such settings frequently have to face down warlords to get access to victims, argue aid convoys through armed checkpoints, risk their lives, and sometimes lose them, in the effort to bring relief to vulnerable people. Those able and willing to do those things often have a go-getting, driven and macho mentality. And this can lead to the creation of a dysfunctional and testosterone-loaded micro-culture.

Of course we would not expect sexual and other forms abuse to be tolerated among aid workers. And once Oxfam knew what was going on in Haiti in 2011, senior executives did their best to sort it out. Culprits were sacked or made to resign. The misconduct was reported to charity regulators and covered by the media – needless to say, not with every lurid detail. New safeguarding measures and improved staff vetting were introduced. With hindsight, they failed to act ‘adequately’, as they have confessed. But to label this a ‘cover-up’ is, in my opinion, grossly unfair.

The 2011 earthquake in Haiti devastated an already excruciatingly poor country, with a degree of brutalized misery in its slums as bad as any I have seen. Few UN, bilateral or NGO agencies rushing in emergency relief performed well. But I believe that the actions taken by Oxfam’s top people to deal with the abuse in their offices and residences once they found out about it were guided by the over-riding need to protect the victimized and avoid damage to programme recipients, as Mark Goldring, the current Executive Director, has explained. The sweeping accusations of a lack of integrity among Oxfam’s senior staff and officers are thoroughly undeserved.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
An article that I read on the BBC said that the perp was accused of attempted rape of a co-worker in Africa which was never adequately investigated. There were also a number other accusations which were also ignored. Oxfam seems to have a history of ignoring such complaints which together gives me impression of long term systemic issue: harboring.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
An article that I read on the BBC said that the perp was accused of attempted rape of a co-worker in Africa which was never adequately investigated. There were also a number other accusations which were also ignored. Oxfam seems to have a history of ignoring such complaints which together gives me impression of long term systemic issue: harboring.

I reiterate that the Haiti case was handled abysmally in that the Country Director was rehired in Haiti despite what happened in Chad (for sex with prostitutes, not sexual assault of a co-worker) and allowed to leave Oxfam quietly and find work in other international agencies. Oxfam is now paying the price for that, quite rightly so, but since 2011 has improved its safeguarding and reporting systems to the point where it's considered to have the best practices in the sector - according to this report by independent researchers:

http://sites.tufts.edu/reinventingpeace/2018/02/20/is-oxfam-the-worst-or-the-best/

The sexual abuse allegations against Oxfam staff came to light because Oxfam has one the best reporting systems in the aid industry. Sexual harassment, exploitation and assault is commonplace in the entire aid business, from the smallest voluntary agencies to the biggest United Nations organizations. The claims about orgy parties in Oxfam compounds, hiring of sex workers, and sexual assault of children in Oxfam’s British charity shops are sadly very credible. What they point to is a system-wide problem, which needs a radical change in institutional culture—not a vindictive scapegoating of one particular agency.

Today, Oxfam is the target of universal condemnation for having, allegedly, hired staff who were sexually abusive, and then covered up these wrongdoings. But the reality is that, far from being the worst, Oxfam Global is today one of the best international aid agencies in terms of reporting, investigating and addressing sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse of its staff.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I reiterate that the Haiti case was handled abysmally in that the Country Director was rehired in Haiti despite what happened in Chad (for sex with prostitutes, not sexual assault of a co-worker) and allowed to leave Oxfam quietly and find work in other international agencies. Oxfam is now paying the price for that, quite rightly so, but since 2011 has improved its safeguarding and reporting systems to the point where it's considered to have the best practices in the sector - according to this report by independent researchers:

http://sites.tufts.edu/reinventingpeace/2018/02/20/is-oxfam-the-worst-or-the-best/

You can have all the safeguards, best practices and reporting systems in place but when dealing with large organizations, their image is more important to them than helping the victims in these situations. Doesn't matter if it is Oxfam or the Penn State University.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Haiti is known as "the republic of NGOs" - and I think that one only has to look at the "success" of the rebuilding of Haiti after the earthquake vis a vis the amount of aid to see the effectiveness of foreign aid. 

I was a big supporter of it before I went to the DR. Now I will not give one thin dime. If one just thinks about it - what organization would really work to alleviate the very condition which is the reason for its own existence?

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/12/books/charity-that-strangles-the-poor.html

You just hit the nail right on the head.
I have reason to believe the Canadian Cancer Society would not welcome a cure for cancer.

So imagine what would happen if we all stopped giving to the NGO's.
Nothing would happen in the Host country.
But some bureaucrats, high flyers, and NGO executive would have their pensions severely compromised.
I have to shut up...I know to freaking much about this scandalous NGO matter, Let Tim Schwartz enlighten you.
He already paid the price for truth.
Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
You may need a NYTimes subscription to get this but -

Look for the interview w/ Minnie Driver about OXFAM & #MeToo

also , Haiti has started an investigation into ALL the charities regarding their prostitution allegations.... ALL!!
The focus on underage girls.

OXFAM UK has already shipped its people out... they are currently under suspension and subject to ejection based on the investigation's results.

Haiti is taking charge.... it seems

Power in such matters can be diverted as can the issues.
It is in the best interest of Haiti to investigate this matter.
Regardless of their involvement.

I started saying to colleagues ''stop helping Haiti; and help Haitians.''
Now there is a challenge. I started by helping Illegals in RD to get Haitian Passports..... another tough issue and has all but been exhausted on this forum.
It is a freaking mess; I was traumatized on my last visit....Oh the stories we could tell!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have not heard ONE good thing about the aid to Haiti...

not a word

They brought disease and as far as I know.... the flood damage and housing shortage still exists

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have not heard ONE good thing about the aid to Haiti...

not a word

They brought disease and as far as I know.... the flood damage and housing shortage still exists
In our travels to Haiti, every one of those with whom we spoke, including some in responsible gubmint positions, had nary a pisitive word to say about do-gooder NGO's or the UN.

Perhaps deviants are attracted to NGOs for covered access for their particular "eccentricities."

Transferring a monger from Africa to Haiti is similar to how the Catholic Church shuttles their pedophile priests around to preserve their precious reputation. And let's not forget the UN's track record for perversion.

Not a fan of NGO's. Not a fan of good intentions and virtue signaling trumping accomplishment. Few are worth a spit. Too bad The Salvation Army can't tackle Haiti. At least I'd know the money is well spent.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Absolutely - the Catholic Church comparison is valid

And yes again
those types seek 3rd world countries... as we see here

They condone it by not addressing it.....

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
In our travels to Haiti, every one of those with whom we spoke, including some in responsible gubmint positions, had nary a pisitive word to say about do-gooder NGO's or the UN.

Perhaps deviants are attracted to NGOs for covered access for their particular "eccentricities."

Transferring a monger from Africa to Haiti is similar to how the Catholic Church shuttles their pedophile priests around to preserve their precious reputation. And let's not forget the UN's track record for perversion.

Not a fan of NGO's. Not a fan of good intentions and virtue signaling trumping accomplishment. Few are worth a spit. Too bad The Salvation Army can't tackle Haiti. At least I'd know the money is well spent.

In Tims book he praises the Salvation Army as the only NGO who is actually working.... or maybe he just told me that!

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
In Tims book he praises the Salvation Army as the only NGO who is actually working.... or maybe he just told me that!

I can say from my experience that charity (or whatever) is a double edged sword with the "do wrong" edge being much sharper than the "do good". You need to be very careful with your actions.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There is something quite terribly wrong when the best "jobs" in a country are with the 
"companies" who are there to eliminate poverty. Such is the case with Haiti - and perhaps some of the African countries as well - which have run out of raw materiels. Conan Bohnan - of the HELP project - which pays to send Haitian students to college - has said that the best jobs that await the graduates are with the NGOS - non governmental organizations.

For the poster who keeps blaming the Haitian government - note please that the majority of foreign aid money for Haiti has NOT gone to the government but rather to the NGOs.

I read the Schwartz book when it first came out back in 2014 - it is one of a entire bookshelf of similar tales by workers in the field..

What happened with Oxfam in Haiti seems pretty inevitable - that it would happen with some organization - as it has already happened there with at least two Catholic "orphanages".  Alas, the international work in Haiti appears to meet the criteria of the definition of the word "boondoggle" https://www.google.com/search?q=boo...3.69i57j0l5.6297j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It was shocking to me - since I am used to working with non profits in the USA which have to prove their merit with the local communities - or they will fold. 

Here is a report on the US Aid money spent in Haiti - written by a (left leaning) think tank  http://cepr.net/blogs/haiti-relief-...oney-go-eight-years-of-usaid-funding-in-haiti

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Lest we forget that the "development" industry is - in fact - industry - take Chemonics - which was the largest beneficiary of US grant money for Haiti after the earthquake https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemonics. They are a private development company - NOT a NON Profit.. https://www.chemonics.com/technical-areas/. 

They are the leader of the tribe known as the "Beltway bandits" - so named for the "beltway" the highway which encircles Washington, DC