Paperwork needed to get married in DR

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
Asking for info on behalf of my sister. What paperwork would she need to get married here? Would she need to return to England for any part of the process? She has her english birth certificate and British passport here.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If anything has changed someone will post I'm sure but this is what we have in the legal section

Submit the following paperwork before the Oficial?a del Estado Civil for the preparation of your marriage certificate. Note that you may send photocopies in advance and bring the original with you:

Passport
Birth certificate
Single status affidavit translated by an official translator into Spanish
Divorce certificate translated into Spanish by an official translator, if applicable

(Legal transcripts of the birth certificates, single status affidavit and divorce act need to be prepared at the Dominican consulate in the country where the documents were issued.)

You will also need two witnesses. If they are foreigners, they will need to have passports as identification. If they are Dominicans, "cedulas" are sufficient.

People who have been divorced in the DR under the Special Divorces Law need to wait 24 hours prior to getting married.

II. After the marriage:

You will be given a document that proves the wedding took place. You then need to request a marriage certificate from the “Oficial de Estado Civil” (City Clerk) that married you.

Marriage certificate validity abroad

The document issued by “Oficial de Estado Civil” (City Clerk) is a valid marriage certificate.

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
Thank you. She is worried about whether she will have to return to England to fulfill any of the requirements?

Has her birth certificate been apostille 'd?
that needs to be done in the UK and is a pain, but needed.

Do they keep the birth certificate that you provide for marriage in the DR and not give it back like they do when one applies for Dominican residency or do they just photocopy it and let you have it back?
When I applied for DR residency I ordered a certified copy of my BC and had it apostilled since I didn't want to lose the original that I've had since I was born.

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
It hasn?t been apostilled... could it be sent to the UK rather than her having to travel back there?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It hasn?t been apostilled... could it be sent to the UK rather than her having to travel back there?

Yes, it cost around 70brit pounds and takes 10 days. The courier will cost about 60 pounds DR-UK, UK-DR. This is if the certificate is the original, if it is not the original and they need to sort it out then it can take ages, months infact.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Not sure if this is totally up to date but the guidelines seem to be quite clear here Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom

I am pretty convinced that when we enquired, as we were living permanently in the DR, we were told that our paperwork could be translated and legalised here. Perhaps a chat with a good lawyer such as Lisa Ewest, Lisa Legal Solutions would be able to clarify before you spend lots of unnecessary money. PM me if you want/ don't have her details.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When you get the marriage certificate get loads as when you hand them in you dont get them back. You will need the full in extensa certificate for some things so get like 10 of those and 10 of the standard ones.

Matilda

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
SINGLE STATUS AFFIDAVIT/SWORN DECLARATION

I, [full name as in passport], of the City of , in the State [Province] of , DO SOLEMNLY AND SINCERELY DECLARE THAT:

-I am [full name as in passport], born as [name as it appears in Birth Certificate] on [date of birth] in [place of birth].

-I am a [citizenship] citizen with passport No: , who resides at [full address].

-I intend to marry [full name as in passport] in the [hotel name] in [city], Dominican Republic during the month of [month and year of marriage].

-I am single and have never been married before. To the best of my knowledge and belief there is no legal impediment or other lawful cause to prevent me from getting married.

-The names of my parents are , Mother and , Father.

I make this Solemn Declaration firmly believing it to be true and knowing that it is of the same force and effect as if made under oath.

DECLARED by me, this(date)____of ______, 2012

Signed [your name here]____________________________
(Full name as in passport)

DECLARED in my presence, this (date)____of ______, 2012

IF DIVORCED, PLEASE INDICATE ?single, divorced since (date your divorce was final). To the best of my?? INCLUDE NAME OF FORMER SPOUSE, DATE THE DIVORCE WAS FINAL, FILE/RECORD NUMBER, COURT, AND NAME OF THE JUDGE.

IF WIDOW-WIDOWER, PLEASE INDICATE ?single, widow/widower since (date as appears on the death certificate). To the best of my knowledge and belief there is no legal impediment.