Papi's in Cabarete...not my favorite restaurant anymore...

visitante

Jun 5, 2010
Not to quibble, but if the poster ordered langostinos, rather than langostas (lobsters), there is a significant difference in price for the two.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Not to quibble, but if the poster ordered langostinos, rather than langostas (lobsters), there is a significant difference in price for the two.

You are right in a sence but Pappi's served always langostinos in a big pan with its delicious sauce of a constant quality always.
Too bad the new owners cut the portions because in the day's op Pappi's, low season or high season, the portions stayed the same because he was always fully booked so why would he change somethings.

Lets see what happens...

Acira

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Damm...This was my Cabarete spot too....so tell me now where IS the spot to go too ?

On the beach that is....

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We live in Cabarete. The Rest. has gone down hill since the new owner took over. The sauce seems to have been thined out, till it's not worth coming for. The portions have gotten much smaller. We used to take everyone there. Sorry not anymore. I talked to the owner. He told me nothing has changed. Must be Me,

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
We live in Cabarete. The Rest. has gone down hill since the new owner took over. The sauce seems to have been thined out, till it's not worth coming for. The portions have gotten much smaller. We used to take everyone there. Sorry not anymore. I talked to the owner. He told me nothing has changed. Must be Me,

Damn............was planning on going there, but I see from alot of you that it may not be worth it. Sooooooooo, what else can you suggest?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Damn............was planning on going there, but I see from alot of you that it may not be worth it. Sooooooooo, what else can you suggest?

Young Seniors,

Go to Pappi's and decide for yourself. Right now all we're hearing from here are a bunch of expats who want their plates spilling over with so many lobsters that the crustaceans are trying to walk off the plate and back into the ocean. The expats here also seem to remember a garlic cream sauce back in the days when cream was free, gas cost a nickel, and garlic grew on coconut trees.

Don't listen to anyone's opinion here, mine included, until you've gone for yourself and tried their two signature dishes "A La Pappi." The restaurant is the only consistently filled restaurant on the North Coast...and that's not by some freak accident. Remember this: most expats who live in the DR have issues, myself included, don't trust anyone's opinion here, even when your're drinking rum and they tell you it's rum, or when the sun is shining outside and they tell you it's right above your head.

Most people who migrate down to the DR in order to reside here are a special kind of individual--of the likes i like to compare to a combination Ted Kazinski meets Jethro Clampett meets Grandma Moses. That is to say most people here are certifiably crazy...with the papers to prove it...myself included.

People seldom know what they're talking about, seldom know what's really going on, and many people here are prone to heresay, misinformation, half-truths, inuendo, and conspiracy theories. Usually, the people who do know what they're talking about--you won't find them on this board wasting their precious energy, time, and oxygen becuase they have real jobs and are way too busy to be checking in every 30 minutes for updates.

This island is made up of a group of disenfranchised, dysfunctional, outcasts (myself included), and charlatans who are no more qualified to tell you the time of day, let alone dispense advice--especially any kind of financial advice. I wouldn't take anyone's advice here, mine included, until you've gone to the restaurant yourself and tried the food out with your own mouth.

PS. take a large straw to Pappi's and plan on drinking up the garlic cream sauce...it's out of this world and wards off vampires and stupid people...myself included.

Love Frank

Last edited:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
My point Frank, was not that the prices were too high at $27 for 3 lobsters but that, having been there many times before and having received 3 normal sized lobsters for that price, to get small ones seems to be disingenuous.

But then you're playing devil's advocate arent you
Your point went right over his head.
He is a confused DA.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Your point went right over his head.
He is a confused DA.

Malibook,

I suppose you think its fair to trash a restaurant because three lobsters didn't walk out of the ocean of equal size and girth?

And no, the point did not go over my head. Nor did i overlook the price that he or she mentioned for the 3 lobsters: $1071 pesos or about $27 U.S...that's why I mentioned the price...becuase he or she seemed to think it was expensive for what they recieved.

If you have point, Malibook, make it.

Frank

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
Malibook,

I suppose you think its fair to trash a restaurant because three lobsters didn't walk out of the ocean of equal size and girth?

Frank
It seemed like an honest assessment to me from someone who knows what he is talking about.

What part of this is so hard for you to comprehend?
So, I don't mean this as a trashing of Papi's...it was still good, just not stellar as I've always considered it to be. And for the first time, I definitely felt it was not worth the money.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Malibook,

And no, the point did not go over my head. Nor did i overlook the price that he or she mentioned for the 3 lobsters: $1071 pesos or about $27 U.S...that's why I mentioned the price...becuase he or she seemed to think it was expensive for what they recieved.

If you have point, Malibook, make it.

Frank

I understand where frank12 is coming from.. but dude.. have you eaten there lately? The amount of meat that comes out of a langostino is the same size as a shrimp.. and this is coming from someone who posted that they were my fav DR restaurant under a month ago.. kinda depressing.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
It seemed like an honest assessment to me from someone who knows what he is talking about.

What part of this is so hard for you to comprehend?

I liken this kind of assessment of a restaurant dish as to going into a barbecue rib or wing restaurant and eating there consistently, and then one day coming in and noticing that some of the wings or ribs are shorter than the week before...as if the cow or chicken had the audacity to not enjoy a growth spurt right before being led off the farm.

I can't imagine trying to consisitently put out three exact size lobsters day after day, no more than can I visualize getting the exact same size ribs or wings everytime i order a meal at the same restaurant.

Is that comprehensible?

Frank

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I liken this kind of assessment of a restaurant dish as to going into a barbecue rib or wing restaurant and eating there consistently, and then one day coming in and noticing that some of the wings or ribs are shorter than the week before...as if the cow or chicken had the audacity to not enjoy a growth spurt right before being led off the farm.

I can't imagine trying to consisitently put out three exact size lobsters day after day, no more than can I visualize getting the exact same size ribs or wings everytime i order a meal at the same restaurant.

Is that comprehensible?

Frank

I think this is why most high end seafood restaurants do shellfish by weight rather than portions.. Chicken wings and ribs don't have more than a 10-15% difference in size while langostinos and lobster can be 40-50% difference.

Maybe it's time for Papi to do a reevaluation of his business model before he starts getting too much bad press.. The margins are too damn high and locals are definitely cutting back on eating out.. even Gordito's raised their prices heh :( When you live here year-round it's not a matter of being cheap, but you expect some places to offer a good value for good quality food..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you are lying, frank! we all know there are no more chicken farms. global companies have them chicken wings growing out of the back of mice. all same size, dude. i saw it in a documentary called the x files. and ribs? them no grow on a cow, no, them grow in greenhouses.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
you are lying, frank! we all know there are no more chicken farms. global companies have them chicken wings growing out of the back of mice. all same size, dude. i saw it in a documentary called the x files. and ribs? them no grow on a cow, no, them grow in greenhouses.

sisko-facepalm1-300x242.jpg

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002

Is that comprehensible?

Frank
The point is not that the lobsters were not all the exact same size.
The point is that he got significantly less in total.

Equally disappointing was the portion...literally about half of what it used to be. I did notice this the last time I was there, but it didn't seem as bad...maybe 20-30% smaller portion, but I wrote it off to my imagination. This time there was no doubt. We ordered a full portion of shrimp and one of langostinos. They were served in one Paella dish and I honestly thought they made a "half and half" combo, which they used to offer. Obviously I was wrong and what was served was supposed to be two full portions.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I'll go in pretending to be a food blogger and present myself respectfully to the owner. I will address the issues posted in this thread and force him to correct his inconsistency or face a negative blogpost about Papi's.. this'll work.. I KNOW IT!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The point is not that the lobsters were not all the exact same size.
The point is that he got significantly less in total.

Tell me, Malibook, does the subjective guess of 50% less food...where he states "Literally about half of what it used to be" ring accurate to your ears?

Are you suggesting that "literally half," or 50% less food is somehow an accurate description, an objective assessment, an impartial statement?

I'm curious to know?

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, but frank, if you have only small lobsters give four instead of three bigger ones.
it's like this friend of mine, whose boyfriend could only last 3 minutes (with a stopwatch in her hand): from the first breast knead to a happy finale. as she said: it may be three minutes but he can do it three times in a row.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
yeah, but frank, if you have only small lobsters give four instead of three bigger ones.
it's like this friend of mine, whose boyfriend could only last 3 minutes (with a stopwatch in her hand): from the first breast knead to a happy finale. as she said: it may be three minutes but he can do it three times in a row.

Well, you know what they say: Flight of the Conchords- Business Time - YouTube

You know what time it is when i'm down to my business socks!

Making love for two minutes is all you need...2 minutes in heaven is better than 1 minute in heaven!

LOve Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is why she never let the poor dude fondle the chichis, she always told him to get down to business :)