Parents are involved in 80 % of exploitation of minors.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A Touchy subject here, and I still can't believe the numbers.

Much is said about the pervs who come here to play with kids, but not so much about the parents who share their children.

I'd like to see how much of that 80% involve tourists.

• Sad
Reactions: AlterEgo

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Years ago riding to remote places. Wife and I would stop at a cluster family unit of 4 casitas. Brought coffee and other things and would visit. Loved it and noticed the family growing. No visible source of income nor basic infrastructure. Schools to far away.
1 time when I visited without my wife but with my main man; they pleated with me to hire a 13 year and that she will do anything. Anything!

The offer was clear.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Years ago riding to remote places. Wife and I would stop at a cluster family unit of 4 casitas. Brought coffee and other things and would visit. Loved it and noticed the family growing. No visible source of income nor basic infrastructure. Schools to far away.
1 time when I visited without my wife but with my main man; they pleated with me to hire a 13 year and that she will do anything. Anything!

The offer was clear.
It has happened to me dozens of times when driving around the country.

One time I stopped at a colmado to drink a cold one and a woman showed up with her underage daughter suitcase in hand.

She only asked that I would keep her in school and she would take care of all of my necessities in return.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
What kind of desperation leads to that?

What kind of apathy allows it to continue?

Both the desperation and apathy are generational…amongst parents and governments.

Education is the key and look at the current state of that. I’m extremely cynical but there has to be hope when it’s children at stake.

Reactions: chicagoan14

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
A Touchy subject here, and I still can't believe the numbers.

Much is said about the pervs who come here to play with kids, but not so much about the parents who share their children.

I'd like to see how much of that 80% involve tourists.

No doubt there are scumbags here come here and countries like it to prey on kids but it is pervasive in the society as a whole. You go especially to the campos and you see Dominican men, not extranjeros, with little girls and unfortunately you have to wonder, is she his daughter niece or something much darker.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I do know it is still common for families to bring a minor girl from the Campo and use her as a sort of housemaid in return for room and board and education.

The last residential I lived in had at least 6-7 that I knew of and most of them seemed to be well treated and made regular visits home.

I'm sure those folks are being included in this report as well.

Not all of it is sexual.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I do know it is still common for families to bring a minor girl from the Campo and use her as a sort of housemaid in return for room and board and education.

The last residential I lived in had at least 6-7 that I knew of and most of them seemed to be well treated and made regular visits home.

Not all of it is sexual.
Yes, my MIL had various campo cousins going to school in town and cleaning in return for room and board.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Not all of it is sexual.

That makes more sense. Very similar thing in Haiti with restaveks. Some are well treated, some are not. The reputation it had among people in our church though was not good.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Not all of it is sexual.
Good point. My MiL always had a girl from the campo. She was a retired teacher so education was a priority. She trained the girls as a maid though, so they’d have a job doing that. She was a tough teacher, I used to feel bad for some of them, but when they left they’d be able to deal with any boss 🤣

Reactions: JD Jones

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
To me I really don't care if it is family or foreigners this problem (if they are selling these kids) could be easily fixed with a big pair of garden shears.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Not all of it is sexual.

It is very common in most developing countries including mine.

The reality is that it is not ideal imoh. Even if it is not sexual, these girls are sometimes used are experiments for the family boys/teens.

Also, on a personal level, some girl feel "betrayed" for being separated for their birth family. I have a friend here who was sent to live with a cousin and was well treated and got a good education, but I remember telling me that one of the best day of her life-with tears in her eyes-was when her mother showed up for her birthday as a surprise.

Their treatment is very hard to monitor since they are supposed to be fortunate. She gets room, board and education but she remains a second class citizen within a family. Lastly, upper/middle class Dominican are not necessarily known for their kind treatment of the help either.

While I understand it, I dont think it solves much.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

The offer was clear.
I sometimes wonder if I, we could have made a difference for one 13 year old girl and perhaps the family. I also had to recognize the responsibilities that we would have.
I'm guessing that the offer was as weighing as my consideration. They mist likely took a long time. Mine was an instant that I didn't need anymore help.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

The reality is that it is not ideal imoh. Even if it is not sexual, these girls are sometimes used are experiments for the family boys/teens.

Also, on a personal level, some girl feel "betrayed" for being separated for their birth family. I have a friend here who was sent to live with a cousin and was well treated and got a good education, but I remember telling me that one of the best day of her life-with tears in her eyes-was when her mother showed up for her birthday as a surprise.

Their treatment is very hard to monitor since they are supposed to be fortunate. She gets room, board and education but she remains a second class citizen within a family. Lastly, upper/middle class Dominican are not necessarily known for their kind treatment of the help either.

There are exceptions. My kid was a restavek at age 13 or 14 here in the DR for his grandad. It didn't work out well for him because gramps was abusive and authoritarian. I saw that first hand. At just prior to his 16th b day I took him in after he had left gramps. He is still with me and I pay for everything for him. Soon he will be legal in the DR and that should open some more doors. I am determined to get him schooled and with a good job before I become worm munchies.

Reactions: Africaida

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012

Thank you for sharing this. It’s so valuable. While it might seem like sunshine and rainbows for the poor campo girl from the outside looking in, our privileged view doesn’t always allow us to see her side of it.

They are indentured servants.

Go to the food court at Blue Mall on a Saturday afternoon and just watch how they treat their nanny(íes).

Reactions: Africaida

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Thank you for sharing this. It’s so valuable. While it might seem like sunshine and rainbows for the poor campo girl from the outside looking in, our privileged view doesn’t always allow us to see her side of it.

They are indentured servants.

Go to the food court at Blue Mall on a Saturday afternoon and just watch how they treat their nanny(íes).
My favorites are the ones who have a nanny for every kid and make them wear uniforms.

Reactions: AlterEgo