Parking Trust tackles parking space in congested cities

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Parqueos-Publicos-El-Nuevo-Diario-e1631114237299.png

President Luis Abinader was recently in the Colonial City where he inaugurated the La Atarazana mechanized parking building, with an investment of RD$339 million. The parking building has capaity for 200 vehicles in four levels.

Parqueate RD is a new venture-trust that is working closely with the Ministry of Public Works to build these mechanized parking lots in heavy trafficked areas of major cities.

The plan calls for the construction of 21 parking areas with 200 to 800 spots in the next four years. The parking buildings will have four to six levels. The parking buildings will be built first in the National District, Santiago and San Cristobal.

The next to be built will be two five-level parking buildings in Centro de los Heroes, a major government office area. One will go up on the parking lot of the National Institute of Hydraulic Resources (Indrhi)...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OldSkool

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
If these car-parks rely on machinery to get cars in and out, this seems to be a recipe for disaster IMO. One day the machine won't work, spare parts will be weeks away, and the car-park will have to close for months while they sort it out. I think these high-tech car parks are useful in cities like New York or London where space is at a premium, but in Santo Domingo there are so many empty lots they could put temporary car parks in. And besides, the emphasis should be on reducing the number of cars, there are already way too many cars on the road.

Feb 7, 2007
I found this video of how it works in a Mexican city.

All I can say is, no , thank you, NO.

It takes forever to get the car in, it takes forever to get the car out, this may be OK for some small family enterprise with 10 parking spots on the street, but not for a large scale parking area for hundreds of cars, which need to get in/out fast. It could be a good long term parking at the airport or car storage solution, but not good idea in congested parts of cities.

This is a total nonsense and will generate additional traffic congestion in nearby areas.

Moreover, a very short time to get in/out of the car before the platform starts moving. Plus what about if you forgot something in the car and need to access it, etc.

Well, as I said, no, thank you, no.

Reactions: cavok

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
There has to be a fail safe operation, some kind of manual backup. Could you imagine telling a parking customer we have to wait for the EDEEstupido power to come back on before we can retrieve your car?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It looks like it would take forever to get your car out if it's parked on the top level and the garage is fairly full. Same with a half dozen drivers all trying to get their car at the same time. I don't think Dominicans will ever go for this.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I found this video of how it works in a Mexican city.

All I can say is, no , thank you, NO.

It takes forever to get the car in, it takes forever to get the car out, this may be OK for some small family enterprise with 10 parking spots on the street, but not for a large scale parking area for hundreds of cars, which need to get in/out fast. It could be a good long term parking at the airport or car storage solution, but not good idea in congested parts of cities.

This is a total nonsense and will generate additional traffic congestion in nearby areas.

Moreover, a very short time to get in/out of the car before the platform starts moving. Plus what about if you forgot something in the car and need to access it, etc.

Well, as I said, no, thank you, no.
I don't think that's what they have planned here. Here's a video of the first one in the Colonial city:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
And besides, the emphasis should be on reducing the number of cars, there are already way too many cars on the road.
Was it not mentioned that while the govt benefits from vehicle importations and financing those, they will have no interest in reducing the number of new vehicle registrations? Yes, they should go to the opposite direction, but I believe it was said that it simply will not happen...

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
There has to be a fail safe operation, some kind of manual backup. Could you imagine telling a parking customer we have to wait for the EDEEstupido power to come back on before we can retrieve your car?

I can see this will involve some woman with ridiculously high heels on saying "Buennnnnoooooo mi amor, no se que decirte" whilst furiously playing with her phone.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't think that's what they have planned here. Here's a video of the first one in the Colonial city:

I don't think this is it, because the article talks about mechanized parking, and there is nothing mechanized about the one in your video, a regular parking garage.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Dominicans are genuinely terrible at parking IMO. Always makes me laugh seeing these big guys driving their SUV's with zero idea of how to park.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think the original article was incorrect. That new car park he is showing has two levels not four and isn't mechanised which is a relief. I love how the guy is so proud of his car-park and describes it as being state of the art and involving the latest technology, then immediately filming the obligatory white plastic chair. They have electric vehicle charging points (yes of course someone with a normal vehicle will block those spaces) and an elevator that doesn't work, looks pretty normal to me.

I can't see how they are going to get a lot of people parking there for RD$ 225 a day when it's free to park on the street and arguably safer.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I don't think this is it, because the article talks about mechanized parking, and there is nothing mechanized about the one in your video, a regular parking garage.

How long have you been here again? :LOL::LOL:

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I think the original article was incorrect. That new car park he is showing has two levels not four and isn't mechanised which is a relief. I love how the guy is so proud of his car-park and describes it as being state of the art and involving the latest technology, then immediately filming the obligatory white plastic chair. They have electric vehicle charging points (yes of course someone with a normal vehicle will block those spaces) and an elevator that doesn't work, looks pretty normal to me.

I can't see how they are going to get a lot of people parking there for RD$ 225 a day when it's free to park on the street and arguably safer.
The different parking garages (call a spade a spade) will have different levels, depending on where they're constructed.

"En tanto, el ingeniero José Cedeño, director general de Parquéate RD, explicó que los tipos de parqueos a construir incluyen edificaciones de 4, 5 y 6 niveles, donde apliquen según la demanda del área."

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Seems to me to be quite unnecessary . All that was needed in Zona Colonial was two more parking stations as they had in Calle Jose Reyes. Up in the JF Kennedy shopping mall area I have never seen the parking full and the same goes for Plaza Lama on 17 Febrero. In Santo Domingo Este there is always space in Mega Centro mall In Bogota with more than 11 million people there are many normal parking stations. If there is one thing to avoid in the DR it is anything that needs maintenance. .

Reactions: cavok