Passing through NYC’s “Little DR”

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
No problem LuLu, chicharrones with brussel sprouts coming up!
LuLu now? It was Lucy on another post.
I THOUGHT it was obvious I'm a dude, not a Cool-Hand Luke type of dude, and surely not a super-duper macho man, but a male indeed.

So, your incessant insistence on referring to me as a female says more about you and your insecurities than me and my sensibilities.

Yet, I'm the one who admits being insecure my whole boring life. Go "figer," as we say in the trailer park.

Sir, fear not. I would only feel insulted if accused of being a rapist, a pedophile, a thief, or being dishonest while interacting with folks in any capacity.

You keep NYC and its cool factor; I take walks and go jogging under the scorching heat down south, sun rays caressing my brown skin, and CSN tunes lifting my spirit.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The original observation by NALs regarding few changes taking place in that area after one year is not really that surprising.

On my last visit to la gran urbe, I made a brief stop in the Bronx neighborhood which I inhabited eons ago, and what I noticed, lend credence to the tired, old cliché: The more things change...

But with one exception: The influx of so many people has brought a sense of freedom... freedom to do whatever one pleases: dress/act in any which way, regardless of what others think. I think I would've felt at ease if such behavior was tolerated back when I called the area home.

Perpetually insecure and easily initimidated, I only felt in my element when navigating the sea of folks south of 59th street. I truly loved the hustle and bustle of that environment, even if penniless, and with just enough in my pocket to purchase the token to return home, but not before walking for miles. Window-shopping and people-watching were my pastime, with the occasional and pleasurable jaunt to the library on Fifth and 42nd.

If I ever return, it has to be during the dog days of summer, and I doubt I'd ever visit the Bronx again... the more it stays the same.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The original observation by NALs regarding few changes taking place in that area after one year is not really that surprising.

On my last visit to la gran urbe, I made a brief stop in the Bronx neighborhood which I inhabited eons ago, and what I noticed, lend credence to the tired, old cliché: The more things change...

But with one exception: The influx of so many people has brought a sense of freedom... freedom to do whatever one pleases: dress/act in any which way, regardless of what others think. I think I would've felt at ease if such behavior was tolerated back when I called the area home.

Perpetually insecure and easily initimidated, I only felt in my element when navigating the sea of folks south of 59th street. I truly loved the hustle and bustle of that environment, even if penniless, and with just enough in my pocket to purchase the token to return home, but not before walking for miles. Window-shopping and people-watching were my pastime, with the occasional and pleasurable jaunt to the library on Fifth and 42nd.

If I ever return, it has to be during the dog days of summer, and I doubt I'd ever visit the Bronx again... the more it stays the same.
I have truly never witnessed anyone go to such an extent to distance himself from his own people/culture. I never really paid attention until @ando1991 posted his reaction to your post up. This caught my eye. You're definitely a special Domimican Yol!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I have truly never witnessed anyone go to such an extent to distance himself from his own people/culture. I never really paid attention until @ando1991 posted his reaction to your post up. This caught my eye. You're definitely a special Domimican Yol!
I'd consider myself a clairvoyant, but then again, everyone knows that you always have the last word. So, no intuitive knowledge or magical powers needed, for you're as predictable as the Earth rotating on its axis. (Sorry: forgot you're a flat-earther.)

But I'd have you know that while residing in Houston, I was very much involved in the growing Dominican community, and even served as a secretary, much to my displeasure, for the only organization tasked with providing assistance to our fellow compatriots. I did resign out of frustration, though.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I'd consider myself a clairvoyant, but then again, everyone knows that you always have the last word. So, no intuitive knowledge or magical powers needed, for you're as predictable as the Earth rotating on its axis. (Sorry: forgot you're a flat-earther.)

But I'd have you know that while residing in Houston, I was very much involved in the growing Dominican community, and even served as a secretary, much to my displeasure, for the only organization tasked with providing assistance to our fellow compatriots. I did resign out of frustration, though.
Not a flat Earther lol. I only went to state school but my education is in the sciences. So Im fairly certain that without Google or AI it's hard to believe that you would have a grasp on the mathematics that explain gravity, momentum, etc. If you do, please let me be the first to say, I am amazed!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Not a flat Earther lol. I only went to state school but my education is in the sciences. So Im fairly certain that without Google or AI it's hard to believe that you would have a grasp on the mathematics that explain gravity, momentum, etc. If you do, please let me be the first to say, I am amazed!
Don't know much geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for

But I know that one and one is two
And if this one could have stayed in the Bronx
Playing Dembow to eardrum-rupturing levels
I'D BE A HERO TO YOU

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Don't know much geography
Don't know much trigonometry
Don't know much about algebra
Don't know what a slide rule is for

But I know that one and one is two
And if this one could have stayed in the Bronx
Playing Dembow to eardrum-rupturing levels
I'D BE A HERO TO YOU
A Dominican apart!

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Years ago, while on a plane back to the GREAT United States of Texas, I read a magazine article about the gang problem in NYC. The author’s observation included this gem:

“Those young men think NYC is the country and the Bronx is its capital.”

I could hear el doctor Fadul getting frustrated with that young Bronx gang member:

<<Mira muchacho errr Diablo, lárgate de mi lado con ese disparate. No me hagas caerte a galletas>>.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

The view from the Bruckner Expressway or from the Cross Bronx Expressway (before and after it goes “under”) is very inviting. With the heat of summer it simply grows.

The Bronx isn’t my favorite place and it largely looks as it always has, but even there has a few changes in places. The Grand Concourse has a section that looks very nice. I’ve never seen that road that nice. The area near the Third Avenue Bridge has been changing with the new highrises and even the area south of there is getting much needed attention. The road under the Bruckner Expressway was recently redone and looks nice. Riverdale remains as the nicest looking area. Supposedly that’s in The Bronx, but that’s one of those places that are The Bronx in name only.

Jerone Avenue looks the same as always. Kuddos to the McDonald’s by the Cross Bronx Expressway exit. My only reason to go there if the Cross Bronx is bumper to bumper and the stomach is calling. A shooting took place a few months ago at the Subway station one has to drive under to get to the drive thru of the McDonald’s. I think even those drive thru “runs” can be risky there. The interesting in that drive thru is that the times I have been there, they start to ask in English, I respond in English, then everything from them is in Spanish. :unsure: Can tell most, if not all, thr people that work there are Dominicans. One time they told me they were out of one of the things I ordered. First McDonald’s ever that was out of something it clearly advertises on its menu.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The view from the Bruckner Expressway or from the Cross Bronx Expressway (before and after it goes “under”) is very inviting. With the heat of summer it simply grows.

The Bronx isn’t my favorite place and it largely looks as it always has, but even there has a few changes in places. The Grand Concourse has a section that looks very nice. I’ve never seen that road that nice. The area near the Third Avenue Bridge has been changing with the new highrises and even the area south of there is getting much needed attention. The road under the Bruckner Expressway was recently redone and looks nice. Riverdale remains as the nicest looking area. Supposedly that’s in The Bronx, but that’s one of those places that are The Bronx in name only.

Jerone Avenue looks the same as always. Kuddos to the McDonald’s by the Cross Bronx Expressway exit. My only reason to go there if the Cross Bronx is bumper to bumper and the stomach is calling. A shooting took place a few months ago at the Subway station one has to drive under to get to the drive thru of the McDonald’s. I think even those drive thru “runs” can be risky there. The interesting in that drive thru is that the times I have been there, they start to ask in English, I respond in English, then everything from them is in Spanish. :unsure: Can tell most, if not all, thr people that work there are Dominicans. One time they told me they were out of one of the things I ordered. First McDonald’s ever that was out of something it clearly advertises on its menu.
Elevated, my friend. That's the Mount Eden Avenue station, and it's used by train 4 only... unless things have changed recently. I lived a bock away many years ago.

Now, on your visit to WASHINGTON HEIGHTS, did you drive by the street where Alan Greenspan lived?

As an economist, I'd think you know who he is, as well as his impact on the economy for so many years.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I didn’t know Greenspan lived up there. His old haunts isn’t a place of pilgramage to Dominicans or anyone, but neither is the grand tomb of ex-president Ulises S Grant in Riverside Park. There I have gone a few times, even took photos of the place (facade).Contrary to Gréenspan’s old place in WH, Ulises tomb should be a pilgramage place for Dominicans. The only US president that supported annexing the DR to the USA. It might sound that would be unpatriotic from the Dominican point-of-view, yet the country he once ruled now has the largest population of Dominicans outside the DR and in the DR itself a large portionof the population actually wish to be in the USA on a permanent basis. They definitely have it on a pedestal. It’s almost as if they are not comfortable with the reality that the DR isn’t like the USA. At the time when Ulises was president, I have no doubt most modern Dominicans would support annexation.

Yet, there is his tomb, which is probably the biggest in NYC, hardly a spot to visit for any Dominicans and those that happen to be in its vicinity and see it never know the connection it had for the DR. In essence, he wanted the DR to be the country most Dominicans want even if they never said it, especially every single Dominicans that is in the USA and not in the DR. Case in point, once though I don’t remember who it was exactly, a Dominican in this forum once said that he has a Dominican and an American passport, but that he doesn’t care if he loses the Dominican passport but that lack of caring doesn’t extend to the American passport. Well then, he isn’t alone with that thought.

I bet today is one more day there is a line in the huge US Embassy in Santo Domingo and it’s made up almost entirely of Dominicans. What is their desire?

The tomb of Ulises S Grant in the city with the largest Dominican population outside Santo Domingo, bigger than Santiago, the country’s second largest city…

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
About the photos I once took of the tomb, it was interesting that the lighting wasn’t special, but as soon I pointed the DSLR camera in the direction of the facade, the glowing orange sunlight of a setting sun covered the thing. Like adopting its best pose for the photos.

Oh well, back to WH which is now the center of Dominicans in the USA, not far form the tomb of Ulises S Grant. What would he think of that given he once too wanted the the DR to be the USA? Essentially, he agreed with all the people that make WH the center of the Dominicans.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I didn’t know Greenspan lived up there. His old haunts isn’t a place of pilgramage to Dominicans or anyone, but neither is the grand tomb of ex-president Ulises S Grant in Riverside Park. There I have gone a few times, even took photos of the place (facade).Contrary to Gréenspan’s old place in WH, Ulises tomb should be a pilgramage place for Dominicans. The only US president that supported annexing the DR to the USA. It might sound that would be unpatriotic from the Dominican point-of-view, yet the country he once ruled now has the largest population of Dominicans outside the DR and in the DR itself a large portionof the population actually wish to be in the USA on a permanent basis. They definitely have it on a pedestal. It’s almost as if they are not comfortable with the reality that the DR isn’t like the USA. At the time when Ulises was president, I have no doubt most modern Dominicans would support annexation.

Yet, there is his tomb, which is probably the biggest in NYC, hardly a spot to visit for any Dominicans and those that happen to be in its vicinity and see it never know the connection it had for the DR. In essence, he wanted the DR to be the country most Dominicans want even if they never said it, especially every single Dominicans that is in the USA and not in the DR. Case in point, once though I don’t remember who it was exactly, a Dominican in this forum once said that he has a Dominican and an American passport, but that he doesn’t care if he loses the Dominican passport but that lack of caring doesn’t extend to the American passport. Well then, he isn’t alone with that thought.

I bet today is one more day there is a line in the huge US Embassy in Santo Domingo and it’s made up almost entirely of Dominicans. What is their desire?

The tomb of Ulises S Grant in the city with the largest Dominican population outside Santo Domingo, bigger than Santiago, the country’s second largest city…
Wasn't takin' 'bout pilgrimage.

But I guess you never heard of Greenspan, or Keynes, or Friedman and/or the Chicago Boys from Chile.

If I was interested in economics, I would surely look around Greenspan's childhood neighborhood. Unless you think that WH has always been inhabited by Dominicans only.