Payless Shoes FYI

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apparently, there are 32 Payless stores in the DR. That’s quite a big business for Dominican standards. With 32 stores, Payless Dominicana probably has over US$100 million in gross revenue every year.

Greater Santo Domingo is very well served by Payless stores. The Cibao region has an adequate presence of Payless stores (coincides with the population density and distribution for the bulk of the Cibao population) and the East region also has a nice coverage (exactly where the bulk of the population lives, there`s a payless).

Then we reach the South region. My goodness. The poverty in that part of the country is so intense that the region can’t support a single Payless beyond Bani. SMH

https://www.paylessdominicana.com/tiendas_de_payless

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Apparently, there are 32 Payless stores in the DR. That’s quite a big business for Dominican standards. With 32 stores, Payless Dominicana probably has over US$100 million in gross revenue every year.

Greater Santo Domingo is very well served by Payless stores. The Cibao region has an adequate presence of Payless stores (coincides with the population density and distribution for the bulk of the Cibao population) and the East region also has a nice coverage (exactly where the bulk of the population lives, there`s a payless).

Then we reach the South region. My goodness. The poverty in that part of the country is so intense that the region can’t support a single Payless beyond Bani. SMH

https://www.paylessdominicana.com/tiendas_de_payless

I'd guess transportation costs has a lot to do with that.

Another one giving Payless a run for their money is Europiel. They only have a few outlets in Santo Domingo (I think 8) but they sell a lot of shoes. Their quality is not half bad either.

Last edited:

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
The DR, Panama, Colombia stores seem to be international joint ventures and not affected by the bankruptcy. Will miss PSS in the USA but hope can continue to get them while in these countries.

And yes, Radio Shack Retail Stores still thrive in Mexico (independent operation) After the third bankruptcy, the US operation went online-only but still has independent dealers and now partnerships since summer 2018 as an "Express Store" in some HobbyTown locations.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'd guess transportation costs has a lot to do with that.

Another one giving Payless a run for their money is Europiel. They only have a few outlets in Santo Domingo (I think 8) but they sell a lot of shoes. Their quality is not half bad either.
They have a warehouse store thingy in Santaigo across the street from La Sirena on Bartolo Colon.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I bought a pair of loafers in Santo Domingo , expensive . then traveled to Spain ...when I returned a week later the seams were splitting at the toe end. Then the finish surface peeled off.
They are closing down in Canada as well.
Three important things in life are :
Good healthy food
Great firm mattress
Good shoes.

But that is only my opinion.
I had a stroke anyway , go figure!!
Russell

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
At Pricesmart in Santiago too at least last Wednesday. It did not look closed to me.

...still open and busy..When the stores in USA were open I brought several pair down here..the quality of the Dominican Payless shoes was poor...and of course cost more..

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
...still open and busy..When the stores in USA were open I brought several pair down here..the quality of the Dominican Payless shoes was poor...and of course cost more..

:D I am like twice a week at Pricesmart here in Santiago, I never stepped inside Payless yet. Once in Santo Domingo we bought shoes for school for one of our boys (because Amazon delivery was late) - they did not last 10 days...

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
Payless in the USA is now offering a smaller selection on Amazon. Go to the payless website to get the links (Currently three brands)

Yup, still open and doing fine in Latin America - saw the Panama and Colombia stores
The important thing about Payless is their extended sizes for women (11, 12, and 13)

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I bought a pair of loafers in Santo Domingo , expensive . then traveled to Spain ...when I returned a week later the seams were splitting at the toe end. Then the finish surface peeled off.
They are closing down in Canada as well.
Three important things in life are :
Good healthy food
Great firm mattress
Good shoes.

But that is only my opinion.
I had a stroke anyway , go figure!!
Russell

Buy a pair of English shoes, online, or wherever ....last at least a 20 years.