Payment of overstay fees

matt77y

Jan 4, 2003
Could somebody please tell me if they accept credit cards for the payment of the overstay fee at Punta Cana airport?
Or Euros in cash?

matt77y

Jan 4, 2003
30 - 90 days 2500 DOP
3 to 9 months 4000 DOP

Thank you very much.
Sorry but another question: I just read there is also a 20 USD exit fee. Can I pay this in DOP or Euro? And is there currently a way to exchange Euros for DOP at the airport?
The reason for these seemingly stupid questions: I had to get to Punta Cana airport on very short notice to catch a flight my government organizes for us to get home. On the way I depleted almost all of my DOP and USD cash. I have enough EURO cash but I am worried that tomorrow the currency exchange office in the airport will be closed due to the current situation.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Thank you very much.
Sorry but another question: I just read there is also a 20 USD exit fee. Can I pay this in DOP or Euro? And is there currently a way to exchange Euros for DOP at the airport?
The reason for these seemingly stupid questions: I had to get to Punta Cana airport on very short notice to catch a flight my government organizes for us to get home. On the way I depleted almost all of my DOP and USD cash. I have enough EURO cash but I am worried that tomorrow the currency exchange office in the airport will be closed due to the current situation.
$10 entry tourist card and $20 exit fee is part of your ticket for a while now..

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Could somebody please tell me if they accept credit cards for the payment of the overstay fee at Punta Cana airport?
Or Euros in cash?

Punta Cana takes credit card, I have paid overstay fees there a few times always with credit card. MC & Visa for sure. No idea about AMEX

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
it does not.... from what has been posted here

but - times change....
worth a trip to the airport in advance to ask

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Of course its cash only.
How do you steal a credit card payment?

I always bring a hundred dollar bill as one time they did not have change and waived me through.
Seems like pretty loose accounting for what is quite a bit of cash at the end of the day.

POP is cash only.

Wonder what they do if you do not have all the cash?
One time we were a few dollars short for a higher than expected over stay fee as we were one day longer.
Again they waved us though after a short discussion with my Dominican wife.

I cannot count the number of times I have gotten away with either not paying for something or paying much less after my friendly outgoing wife had a cheerful laugh filled chat with the guy in charge.
And it is always a man in charge here.

Last edited:

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
That's interesting. I wonder if that applies to all airports?

I don't know about all but Santo Domingo & Punta Cana accept credit cards.
I have paid with credit cards at both numerous times.

Santiago & POP I have no idea.

In Santo Domingo they will send you to a counter off to the side that has 2 women at the counter and they have the credit card terminal there.

In Punta Cana they have an open booth where they sit and do the same.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Of course its cash only.
How do you steal a credit card payment?

I always bring a hundred dollar bill as one time they did not have change and waived me through.
Seems like pretty loose accounting for what is quite a bit of cash at the end of the day.

POP is cash only.

Wonder what they do if you do not have all the cash?
One time we were a few dollars short for a higher than expected over stay fee as we were one day longer.
Again they waved us though after a short discussion with my Dominican wife.

I cannot count the number of times I have gotten away with either not paying for something or paying much less after my friendly outgoing wife had a cheerful laugh filled chat with the guy in charge.
And it is always a man in charge here.

The women that collect fee at Santo Domingo are not that friendly. It's usually 2 in front at the counter collecting payments and the boss another woman is sitting directly behind them watching. So friendly chats may not work.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I heard a rumor that the overstay fee regulations have been changed.
Seems hard to believe that the DR would ever give up this cash cow.
I am highly skeptical
Anyone heard anything about changes that the fees have been reduced or eliminated?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I heard a rumor that the overstay fee regulations have been changed.
Seems hard to believe that the DR would ever give up this cash cow.
I am highly skeptical
Anyone heard anything about changes that the fees have been reduced or eliminated?
It's the governments personal piggy bank consider it a tariff.....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The piggy bank is empty now..... and if incoming tourists are 'monitored or controlled'....
what happens to the the overstay ?

Independent tourists feed that piggy bank....
if the tourist flow is in/out of the AI's...... no overstay !

Sep 22, 2009
The piggy bank is empty now..... and if incoming tourists are 'monitored or controlled'....
what happens to the the overstay ?

Independent tourists feed that piggy bank....
if the tourist flow is in/out of the AI's...... no overstay !
Time for some new fees W²!

Sep 22, 2009
When will the system allow a 'regulated' tourist and when will it allow an independent tourist ?
The days of the independent are numbered. Too much riff raff cruising under the radar sucking up resources, crashing in 20 dollar surf shacks. Lambones and dope smokers. Income tax evaders, sex tourism scumbags. If you can't pay the million mile club fees, then park your unbanked a$$ at home in the basement binging Netflix day and night.