PC/Bavaro things to do

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Are you guys talking about the open-air two-story place next to a Happy Bar or Happy place or something like that?
No. Used to be named Steve's Bar. Maybe it still is. I have not been there for quite awhile........

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I don't think they know what it is. Do you have a link so I can show them?

There is a video embedded at the bottom of that page that shows what it involves, and the safety gear, etc. Also, if I recall correctly, runners adventures offers a discounted price on their excursions if your Haitians have cedulas. It might be worth a call to check.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Correct. When Brian had it no nonsense there. Spent a few times there with Badpiece those days......In fact the first year of the PGA tourney in Los Corales Brian hosted many top golfers there. Basically it was a nice place to drink and not be bothered by the scenery.............
Brian was crazy but he was good guy if that makes any sense. the new owners now think its a high class bar with rules

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Nan,

Have a great time and be safe. Please let us know how the trip turns out and give us a review of whatever you all decide on doing.

Also, let us know what you think of the resort.

Enjoy!
Hey Carlos and DR1!

Just got back and had a really good time. We spent 4 days/nights at RIU Republica. Got a room with 2 beds and a sofa bed that worked. The room was a bit smaller than the RIU Palace but not that small. It cost about $1300USD for the 3 of us.

A bit eventful on the ride up and back. The car tends to ride warm. I got very nervous watching the temp gauge go up and down like it did. I was low on anti-freeze but even when putting some in, it didn't completely solve the problem. More investigation is required.

We tried for the buggy thing I posted earlier. They had no half days and they don't accept credit cards. US cash only. That was a show stopper as I don't carry that much cash and especially US cash.

So then I showed them the zip line pics and they were all for it. That is what we did Thursday from 1 to a bit after 7. It costs $286 for 3 with an additional 400 DOP propinas.

We all enjoyed the zip lines immensely. For an old fart, I did great. There was a young guy that passed out but it was only for a couple minutes. Last I checked he wasn't dead.

The zip line course is actually 12 lines, the first 3 or 4 being short (<500m) to get you accliminated on how it works. There were 2 of the 12 towards the end that were close to 1km. It's a breathtaking thing to do but you go so fast you don't get a good chance to enjoy the view. Still, it was tons of fun.

The only bad part of the excursion was the sales pitch for the final hour or so. It was a combined "this is how we make coffee/cocao/coco" followed by taste tests followed by "please buy our products." I didn't appreciate the sales pitch at all. I was interested in the coffee but not at $10USD for a dry pint of ground coffee.

The last 2 nights I got out of the way and let the youngins drink at the bars without me. I figured they don't need an old fart as they try and fail to pick up girls.

We got back about 115 today, 6/24.

I tried inserting some pics but they won't load from google pics or the laptop.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Glad to hear you had a good trip. How was the hotel, food, etc..?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Glad to hear you had a good trip. How was the hotel, food, etc..?
The hotel was good, we thoroughly enjoyed the pools, although we were the only ones doing laps. Everyone else just got wet and sipped cocktails. That is not for me.

The food was slightly below average. Not recommended at all. However, considering that this was for 2 Haitian guys that don't get to experience this kind of stuff, it was more than adequate.

The hotel service was very good. Everyone went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The waiters especially were fun to joke with. I know they do it for propinas and it worked in my case. But we enjoyed their company and service.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Hey Carlos and DR1!

Just got back and had a really good time. We spent 4 days/nights at RIU Republica. Got a room with 2 beds and a sofa bed that worked. The room was a bit smaller than the RIU Palace but not that small. It cost about $1300USD for the 3 of us.

A bit eventful on the ride up and back. The car tends to ride warm. I got very nervous watching the temp gauge go up and down like it did. I was low on anti-freeze but even when putting some in, it didn't completely solve the problem. More investigation is required.

We tried for the buggy thing I posted earlier. They had no half days and they don't accept credit cards. US cash only. That was a show stopper as I don't carry that much cash and especially US cash.

So then I showed them the zip line pics and they were all for it. That is what we did Thursday from 1 to a bit after 7. It costs $286 for 3 with an additional 400 DOP propinas.

We all enjoyed the zip lines immensely. For an old fart, I did great. There was a young guy that passed out but it was only for a couple minutes. Last I checked he wasn't dead.

The zip line course is actually 12 lines, the first 3 or 4 being short (<500m) to get you accliminated on how it works. There were 2 of the 12 towards the end that were close to 1km. It's a breathtaking thing to do but you go so fast you don't get a good chance to enjoy the view. Still, it was tons of fun.

The only bad part of the excursion was the sales pitch for the final hour or so. It was a combined "this is how we make coffee/cocao/coco" followed by taste tests followed by "please buy our products." I didn't appreciate the sales pitch at all. I was interested in the coffee but not at $10USD for a dry pint of ground coffee.

The last 2 nights I got out of the way and let the youngins drink at the bars without me. I figured they don't need an old fart as they try and fail to pick up girls.

We got back about 115 today, 6/24.

I tried inserting some pics but they won't load from google pics or the laptop.

I am glad you all had a good time. I can imagine they loved it!

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Reactions: NanSanPedro

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm late to the recommendation party but there are some great golf courses in the area.
Hope you stayed clear of the corner bar. It used to be a great place to hang out for expats but now it's just a shit hole run by greedy idiots.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I'm late to the recommendation party but there are some great golf courses in the area.
Hope you stayed clear of the corner bar. It used to be a great place to hang out for expats but now it's just a shit hole run by greedy idiots.
None of us play golf, although it might be cool to get the guys lessons and see if they would like it. The corner bar thing just didn't sound like something we/I would enjoy. I had 6-10 oz beers over 2 nights. That will do me until Christmas.

Reactions: melphis

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Wow you hit the corner Bar right on the head.🎯

Reactions: melphis