PCR Testing upon arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Wondering if anyone else has any information on this. I flew into D.R in September into one of the bigger airports. I paid for a PCR test along with 3 other tests for others in my home country. We were all vaccinated but were never asked for the PCR test results ( which were all negative of course ) are they just not checking these? I also have a Dominican friend who entered the country via air at another airport as was never asked for a PCR..

Does anyone else have this experience? I would like to go back to D.R before Christmas and obviously don't want to pay $200.00 if officials are not checking, thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There might be a requirement by the airline to have a PCR test before boarding the plane. I have no idea on that, but no tests are needed by the DR government to enter the DR that I am aware of. You previously paid for those tests without them be required.

They can and do pull people randomly upon arrival in the DR it is reported and do that for the occasional antigen test.

Reactions: thompstr

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
@windeguy thanks for your reply; I guess at this point I feel silly for wasting 600 CAD on this but essentially what you're saying is they are not required by law or per entry requirement for foreigners or Dominican citizens at this time? is there any document links we can link to this convo because I think there is lot of confusion around this subject that is preventing people from coming to the D.R to both visit and visit family/friends - Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
@windeguy thanks for your reply; I guess at this point I feel silly for wasting 600 CAD on this but essentially what you're saying is they are not required by law or per entry requirement for foreigners or Dominican citizens at this time? is there any document links we can link to this convo because I think there is lot of confusion around this subject that is preventing people from coming to the D.R to both visit and visit family/friends - Thanks
Hard to find a document about something that does not exist. What Windy said is true..............

Reactions: cavok and windeguy

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
@SKY i'll take the communities word for it. Just wanted to organize any context that was availble to us ( if exists ) so others may be less confused travelling during covid.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
You don't need the test to enter the DR BUT you do need the test to board a plane to get here from canada

Reactions: thompstr

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
When you check your airline requirements on their websites, it links you to a page where you have to input your departure, transit and arrival countries.
Then it will tell you what is needed.

You also have to check your airline's policy.
I flew in recently with Swiss, their policy--- at that time --- was to comply with the destination country requirements.

In my case the requirements of the DR were nothing if arriving from Switzerland.
However someone else arrived in the DR around the same time as me, also leaving from Switzerland, but transiting through Spain, and they had to comply with the Spanish requiremt as well as the DR ones.
So even though the DR required nothing, they still had to have proof of vaccination OR PCR test to board their plane.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A snippet from the UK news....

Austria is considering confining the unjabbed to their homes
DR is a cake walk !!

New Zealand is moving to a two-tier society, but the unvaccinated are already a global underclass​

Protests and unrest are growing as more countries are tightening restrictions on those people who have not been jabbed

By Anne Gulland, Global Health Security Deputy Editor 25 October 2021 • 1:35pm
Jacinda Ardern, the New Zealand prime minister, during a youth vaccination festival. The country is introducing a new policy that denies freedoms to some people who have not been jabbed

Jacinda Ardern, the New Zealand prime minister, during a youth vaccination festival. The country is introducing a new policy that denies freedoms to some people who have not been jabbed

New Zealand’s Covid policy has once again hit the headlines. Last week, Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister, admitted that its new plans on loosening restrictions risked turning the country into a “two-tier” society.
Under the "traffic light" policy, those who are vaccinated will be able to move around and use services relatively freely, while the unjabbed will not.
But this policy is not confined to the Pacific island nation: vaccine passes are gaining traction around the world as countries introduce greater freedoms for those who are immunised, risking the creation of an unvaccinated underclass.
Perhaps one of the most eye-opening vaccine mandates under consideration is in Austria, where the number of cases is climbing again - and those who are unjabbed risk being confined to their homes.
On Friday, Alexander Schallenberg, the country’s chancellor,warned that if the number of Covid patients in Austria’s intensive care units exceeds 600 - or a third of the country’s total ICU capacity - those who have not been vaccinated will be forced into lockdown and will only be able to leave their homes under specific circumstances.
This is one of the more extreme options under consideration, but other countries are also becoming less afraid of interfering in their citizens' lives in a bid to ensure high vaccine rates.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
No vaccination proof or PCR test was required when I flew in Sept by one of the major players for airline travel when I flew from Toronto ( Canadian airport, airline or Dominican entry point) in summary nobody cared .. I'm avoiding names here cause I don't want to single any companies or port of entries out to avoid any potential heat.

Reactions: Harleyssuck

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Just flew back to Santo Domingo from Bogota. 0nly asked for the eticket and they were pulling random people out of line for rapid tests, one of whom was my wife, negative in the case of the 5 from our group that were selected.

Reactions: arete92

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
You don't need the test to enter the DR BUT you do need the test to board a plane to get here from canada
correct.. if in POP use refrencia was only about 100 bucks .. FYI charging 200 per person at shoppers drug mart in Canada. I asked how much they are for them to buy. He replied about 15 cents. but it's the "processing & handling" that makes it expensive.. OK these machines are automated...

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Do they do the test for flying in the airports or do you need to go to another place to get the test?
Flew from Dominican to Toronto
Luck of the draw when you land if they want you to get another test at airport in Toronto,if you got pulled to the side in Toronto for test, they do it right there
Cause I'm vaxed , no quarantine or need to get tested again 8 days after I arrived

Reactions: OldSkool
Status
Not open for further replies.