Peanuts in the Shell - Customs OK?

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I know! - This may be an odd question; but I need to ask. :eek:

I love Peanuts in the Shell and want to bring a large bag of them with me to the Dominican Republic on my next trip. I was thinking of bringing a 2 or 3 pound bag with me packed in my checked luggage. The Peanuts are in a celephane package sealed. The will be purchased from my local supermarket.

I am not sure if this is one of the things that you must declare on the Dominican Customs Forms since these peanuts are still in the shell and not canned.

Does anyone know if this is possible or any suggestions. I dont want to take a change so any help would be great!

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
you can find those peanuts here in any large supermarket. anyway if you decide to bring it with you, i dont think it will be any problem, because they are already roasted.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I would definitely use that weight and size "allowance" in my bag to bring something else...unlike other things you may crave while here and not be able to find, peanuts are peanuts and as johnny said they can be found in every supermarket...

If you've got a little extra room in your bag and are flying into POP, let me know...I'll trade a ride from the airport for 2-3 pounds of food (maybe Little Debby's LOL) from the US! :bunny:

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
even better is to buy the local peanuts sold by street vendors everywhere in this country, everyday, cheap too.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
the local "mani" are some of the best peanuts I have ever had

Only problem is they don't really last (something about the humidity) so I buy them fresh every day from the street kids, also try the cashews as well!

Woo ho only 108 days to wait till I am back "in country"

ggparts

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
I would definitely use that weight and size "allowance" in my bag to bring something else...unlike other things you may crave while here and not be able to find, peanuts are peanuts and as johnny said they can be found in every supermarket...

If you've got a little extra room in your bag and are flying into POP, let me know...I'll trade a ride from the airport for 2-3 pounds of food (maybe Little Debby's LOL) from the US! :bunny:

Thanks for the advice. I have searched in all of the markets in SD looking for roasted peanuts and could not find any. But now I will look a bit harder.

Wish I was going to POP, I would bring you some US treats for a ride from the Airport, but i'm going to SDQ instead on December 7th.

Anyone in the SDQ area wanna give me a ride from the airport to the Malecon area in exchange for some USA treats? Drop me a PM. I am sure we can work something out..

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think they only grow cashews here - not sure about the old peanuts...cashews
can be poisonous if not picked at the right time I believe

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I think they only grow cashews here - not sure about the old peanuts...cashews
can be poisonous if not picked at the right time I believe

I have never been poisoned in the last 22 years eating peanuts or cachews bought from street vendors in the D.R. Have I been Lucky ??

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I know there are peanuts in shell in Supermercados Nacional in arroyo hondo, but you can try in any other large market as. carrefour, Bravo, Pola, jumbo, etc. i dont think you will find these kind of products in a wep page.
the best cashew are found in the highway santo domingo-santiago, before villa altalgracia. they are roasted in le?a (wood). they are even more healthy.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i read about how to grow them and it sounded too dangerous

Can I shell cashews at home?
Yes, but this must be done with care as the caustic Cashew Nut Shell Liquid (CNSL) contained within the shell can cause skin irritation and severe burning. It is critical to extract the kernel without contamination with CNSL.

The simplest and safest way to extract the kernel is by the 'freezing method'. The nuts are placed into a freezer until the CNSL solidifies, and then before the nut thaws the kernel is removed after breaking or cutting the shell. Care is required to ensure CNSL does not contaminate the kernel or come in contact with exposed skin.