Pedestrians Only in Zona Colonial This Weekend

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Central of the Colonial City will be pedestrianized this weekend

The mayor of the National District, Carolina Mejía, ordered that the center of the Colonial City operate as a pedestrian zone next Saturday, October 17 and Sunday, October 18.

Mayor Mejía explained that the Colonial City will be pedestrianized on Saturday from 10:00 in the morning to 5:00 in the afternoon; and on Sunday from 1:00 in the afternoon to 5:00 in the afternoon.

She said that the measure was taken through an agreement with the National Institute of Traffic and Land Transport (Intrant), the General Directorate of Traffic Safety and Land Transport (Digesett), the Ministry of Tourism and the Colonial City Merchants Association, this perimeter of the city will be declared pedestrian on those days, to encourage its use as a tourist destination.

The central polygon of the Colonial City is comprised of the following streets: Mercedes, Meriño, Billini and Católica, an area that will be regulated by traffic officers to guarantee the safety of passersby.

computer translated from:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Central of the Colonial City will be pedestrianized this weekend

The mayor of the National District, Carolina Mejía, ordered that the center of the Colonial City operate as a pedestrian zone next Saturday, October 17 and Sunday, October 18.

Mayor Mejía explained that the Colonial City will be pedestrianized on Saturday from 10:00 in the morning to 5:00 in the afternoon; and on Sunday from 1:00 in the afternoon to 5:00 in the afternoon.

She said that the measure was taken through an agreement with the National Institute of Traffic and Land Transport (Intrant), the General Directorate of Traffic Safety and Land Transport (Digesett), the Ministry of Tourism and the Colonial City Merchants Association, this perimeter of the city will be declared pedestrian on those days, to encourage its use as a tourist destination.

The central polygon of the Colonial City is comprised of the following streets: Mercedes, Meriño, Billini and Católica, an area that will be regulated by traffic officers to guarantee the safety of passersby.

I guess that's good but walking in the CZ on the wide sidewalks I have never given a thought to traffic. When crossing a street it's not difficult to look for cars. I just don't see the need for this.

If this were to encourage more bicycling it would make a ton of sense, but that wasn't mentioned.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sounds like a "Let's try it and see what happens" approach. Could be interesting.

Reactions: Caonabo

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
They are trying this to try what we call in US " open streets " . But Zona Colonial is not an urban core so there is no need. They do this highly concentrated urban areas on summer days

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
They are trying this to try what we call in US " open streets " . But Zona Colonial is not an urban core so there is no need. They do this highly concentrated urban areas on summer days

It is not even that. The map I saw shows traffic banned in a small area bordered north/south by Merino & Catolica, and east/west by Mercedes/Nouel. It is meaningless because those streets are among very very few in the entire country on which the average speed of travel is a crawl, 24/7. It does get people talking about Carolina. That is the apparent purpose.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It is not even that. The map I saw shows traffic banned in a small area bordered north/south by Merino & Catolica, and east/west by Mercedes/Nouel. It is meaningless because those streets are among very very few in the entire country on which the average speed of travel is a crawl, 24/7. It does get people talking about Carolina. That is the apparent purpose.

Arturo, could you imagine what the CC would be like if most of it was shut down?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Arturo, could you imagine what the CC would be like if most of it was shut down?

The traffic jam would extend to 27 Feb, the Malecon, and the river, and it would be many hours before it subsided. I think it would cost the remaining business owners a lot of money at a time when they are already struggling with the curfew's reduced opening hours. It is horrific to consider. I hope it never happens.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002

Any cost associated with this event would be better spent repairing roads and sidewalks. It's easy for politicos who rarely leave Piantini and La Julia to imagine the infrastructure is acceptable as is.

• Love
Reactions: bienamor and aarhus