Pegao

Status
Not open for further replies.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
What does pegao mean? I can't find it anywhere. I saw it on a beer ad on the subway today.

The ad said

Tan buena como raspar pegao

Thanks

2LF

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Pegao (pegado)-

2LF-

This is a classic example of a Spanish verb form pegado that's commonly pronounced as pegao. Therefore, if you look it up in the dictionary as pegao you will not find it unless it's a dictionary of slang terms. However, you will definitely see examples and the meaning of the verb pegar and its past participle pegado.

In brief, the loss of [d] in between vowels thus rendering the pronunciation "ao" of such verb forms (the pronunciation only) is very common in the Spanish speaking world today. It was once associated with informal and/ or uneducated speech but this is no longer the case. Commonly known as a salient feature of Caribbean Spanish but it is equally as common in many regions or countries in Latin America and Spain.

Some good quality Spanish text books may mention this phonetic aspect of Spanish. Specialized textbooks and some dialectology references will also mention this property of speech. In sociolinguistics studies you will see explanations that it crosses all class lines of speech. There are many verbs that are pronounced this way in daily dialogue. Once again songs titles, commercial ads/signs (as in your example) will evidence this verb form however, in formal Spanish, verbs (the past participle) with the ending -ado should not be replaced by -ao.

Expressions-

1/ As for expressions there is a common one 'que me quiten lo bailao' (from bailado) that you hear often in songs. There's one for you to look up.

2/ You will also hear bailar pegao or bien pegadito.

3/ Raspar pegao= If I am correct with the meaning of this expression, IMO it's quite liberal for a subway ad. Let's see if others give the meaning of it.

Once again 2LF you have made a good observation and I like the fact that you question the meaning of something that you don't understand. In Spanish or any language, you should not assume anything.

-LDG.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Boricuas called concon pegao.
raspar pegao means raspar concon = scrap the hard rice of the caldero
My understanding!
It is a mix of Dominican and Puerto Rican saying.

Raspar also means having sex. Cannot be in a ad, it would be censored
Pegao means sticked, glued.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Raspar also means having sex. Cannot be in a ad, it would be censored
Pegao means sticked, glued.

Indeed, so raspar pegao would mean.... well, you guessed it already, didn't you ? ;)

Also "tu 'ta pegao" can mean "you are successful", like "-? te pegaste !", "you made it !", you are "glued" to the happy few...

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Now I'm curious-- I can't believe that the NYC subway system would allow that ad either. I must have misunderstood it!!!! I will look for it again.

You know when you are learning a language you ALWAYS make mistakes and they ALWAYS are around SEX or VERY embarrassing.

It's never ......

Oh--- isn't she very beautiful when she is very ugly.

I suspect this is going to be one of those moments.

I was rushing to switch trains and I saw it so.... I'll look for it today......

I'm sure I'll be embarrassed by this evening...... I'm embarrassed already.

but I'll have learned a new phrase..... jajajjaja

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
hahah are you talking about those beer ads in the trains??

I just read them this morning, I think they are very catchy!!!

"Tan buena como encontrar un parking
en frente del building"

cute stuff, they are being targeted at hispanics from each individual country I think the top one is directed at Puertoricans.

I guess the one you are talking about is for Dominicans and I don't know if is that bad that it should be censured, but it definitly is catchy.

I saw a few others but I can't remember them now.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
"Pegao" has various connotations of usage-

2LF-

One other aspect I wanted to add about pegao is that it has many slang meanings. Therefore apart from raspar pegao depending on how pegao is used, you will have to decipher the meaning from the context.

A good example is you know I collect music so usually when I go to the music store the owners always try to sell me a cd (even though I don't want it) and they say: esta canci?n est? pegando fuerte. You understand the meaning? I think it's easy. It's a colloquialism to mean- tener ?xito.

M.A.R-

Can you look at some of those ads and let us know. I am curious now too.

Thanks.

-LDG.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Mar, I dont take the subway anymore (YIPPPIEEEE!!) can someone take a picture and post it? Are they in any website?

I like that they are doing this tho...

BTW - if the ad said MEJOR QUE RAPA - Now, THAT would have to be censored - but only for Dominicans, so I guess it wont be.

I guess is like the stuff that goes on the radio with Mega and El Vacilon. Each bad word is only bad for one country and not the other. How do they get censored (we see that they are NOT!)

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
How embarrassing!

OK--- I got on a train that had a whole bunch of them

Tan buena como raspar EL pegao

Tan buena como la memoria de tu novia

Tan buena como un parking frente al building

Tan buena como un sue?ito de bajo mata e mango

Tan buena como un buena perreo

Tan buena como estar esmaya'o y jampiarte un arroz con pollo

Y

Tan buena como pecaita frita en Boca Chica

I think mine is better ( Tan buena como raspar pegao) too funny!!!

How embarrassing!

2LF

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks 2LF-

2LF-

It's not embarrassing at all. It's just a perfect example of how one missing word "el" can change the intended meaning and totally steer the nuance in a completely different direction. Therefore "Cuas' " explanation makes sense IMO. Pegao vs. el pegao. Different parts of speech. However, refer to my second post pegao and pegar can have several meanings.

IMO these are not geared towards all Hispanics. These expressions look very PR/ DR, extremely colloquial with some accepted NYC Spanglish. For example -Tan buena como un parking frente al building - "un parking"- this is my first time hearing this word instead of the correct Spanish word(s). El building I know is used in NYC instead of el edificio. Even the influence of reguet?n made its way into these phrases. It s/b un "buen perreo".

I need clarification on # 6 in your list. I will wait for M.A.R, Talldrink & Co.

Thanks for completing the list.

-LDG.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks Lesley! What is a pecaita frita? What am I missing out on? There is one more. The car didn't have it. It was about .... mi salsa. I hadn't seen most of these before. These others are new. These ads are for Bud lite by the way.

oops just checked my notes it does say " buen perreo" my mistake.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
el pegao, el pegadito= conc?n, rapa

What does pegao mean? I can't find it anywhere. I saw it on a beer ad on the subway today.

The ad said
Tan buena como raspar pegao
2LF

I agree with Cuas. The beer is "tan buena como raspar conc?n".

Norma

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
OK--- I got on a train that had a whole bunch of them

2LF

Tan buena como estar desmayado y (comerte?) un arroz con pollo.

Tan buena como peca?to (pescadito) frito en Boca Chica.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks Norma--- would've never figured that one out!!

I was wondering where you were! I haven't seen you in awhile. I'm glad to see you again!!!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Jampiarte (from jump) but used in the term of fighting (someone getting jumped in school means that the person got his a$$ kicked by a bunch of people). so in this case, is eating that arroz con pollo like you are are KILLING it!

BTW, pecaito is also a fish fritter - mostly Puertoricans make it - so I guess they were not referring to this type in this ad since it is sup to be in Boca Chica.

Who would of thunk that my listening to regueton was actually helping my language skills!!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Tan buena como la memoria de tu novia

Tan buena como un parking frente al building
tan buena como encontrar .........

Tan buena como un sue?ito de bajo mata e mango
I guess this one is targeted to Dominicans, hehhehe I love these ads.....
debajo de una mata.......

Tan buena como un buena perreo
tan buena como un buen perreo.

I guess this one is for puertoricans, I never heard that word, jampiarte, so it means to eat. ok

Y

Tan buena como un pecaito frito en Boca Chica.

I think mine is better ( Tan buena como raspar pegao) too funny!!!
2leftfeet there is no other way to "raspar" heheheheh, :eek:

btw: just made a few minor corrections.

Status
Not open for further replies.