People’s China donates sugar cane cutter to Dominican Republic

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Cosechadora-donacion-China-Ministerio-de-Agricultura-e1618318943553.jpeg

The People’s Republic of China’s government donated to the Dominican Republic a modern Zoomlion sugar cane harvester. The harvester will be used at the Porvenir sugar mill of the State Sugar Council (CEA) in San Pedro de Macorís.

Agriculture Minister Limber Cruz received the donation from China ambassador Zhang Run and the deputy governor of Hunan province, Sui Zhongcheng. He was accompanied by former President Hipólito Mejía and by the director of the CEA, César Cedeño. Also present was Dominican ambassador to China, Briunny Garabito.

The country received the combined harvester as part of a cooperation agreement to strengthen bilateral trade in agricultural products.

The machine has a rated power of 230 HP, with a production efficiency of 15 tons/hour. It has a market price of US$310,000.

With this equipment, costs are lowered...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This answers a question as to who might be cutting cane in the future.

As in: Nobody.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's only one sugar cane cutter...

Just a wild guess, but I think the DR need quite a few more.

🤨

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I once asked the manager of a large Zona Franca why men were cutting grass with machetes. His reply was that if they bought a lawn mower it would put 3 dominicans out of work. If there were to be several more machines purchased thenI predict many fires will be lit.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
a machine that costs close to 400 thousand, plus fuel , plus complex maintenance will pay for a lot of machete wielding Haitians

Reactions: JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
that sugar cane
No, I totally agree with you. It's the long term maintenance that probably won't get done. I hope it lasts a harvesting season.
its a feel good gesture. The sugar cane industry here as you know did not pop up over night. They are a sophisticated lot of agri businessmen. They have analyzed every single cost down to the penny to get a sugarcane stalk from the field to the plant. Field workers aint going anywhere any time soon. Unless maybe if they unionize and get 12 dollars an hour + health, dental and a 401k..

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the mean time, this is Palm Beach, Florida, USA where the owners live. Awe, it looks just like the Haitian bateyes. What is anyone complaining about... Life is good, right cane workers and batey dwellers?

qZWFPS.jpg

qZW3V2.jpg

qZW2ol.jpg

qZWJt4.jpg

qZWfK7.jpg

qZWql9.jpg

Big

Apr 24, 2019
yes, they have that money because they are smart. Not because some Chinese investor wants to automate their proven operation and sell them some equipment.