People of Walmart

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
This controversial website is blowing up world-wide:

People of Walmart

Here is a CNN article about it:

Viral Web site mocks Wal-Mart customers - CNN.com

When I first saw it, I laughed so hard that I cried. After being in the DR for a few years, it reminded me how over-the-top or "sin verguenza" some people back home can be. I immediately told all my friends about it.

Then I saw a few pictures of what I felt were regular people, and I felt bad for them and didn't like some of the comments posted about what seemed to be like regular working folks. But I laughed anyway, thinking I had surely had the right to do so since several could have easily passed for a few of my family members. :cheeky:

I finally came to the conclusion that some are worth a cheap laugh at the expense of another, but mostly it comes down to making fun of someone who is in a lower socio-economic class. The way people dress, what they drive and their grooming habits are part of the culture of poverty, right? Or could it just be the 'American culture of poverty', since in other countries people are much poorer yet appear to dress more formally (like in the DR)?

What do you think? Are the People of Walmart funny, or victims of virtual classism?

What if someone started up People of Duarte con Paris and put up pics of stripper-looking girls in stilettos and Donas in some pants bursting at the seams? Would you laugh at them too or feel bad because you know they are poor and just trying to go along with their life and look good the best way they understand?

I'm not trying to be a downer in the Clown bin, but take a look, laugh, and then give some of your thoughts...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I dunno. Just regular folks shopping where they can afford.

Humor varies.

Maybe I'll grow a mullet...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
That was funny as hell. I love Wal-Mart but I'll be damned if I go dressed like any of those people!
SHALENA

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
sad thing is that a lot of the people laughing at this video are one paycheck away from being these people.

And long live the mullet!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The Mullet: business in front, Rock 'n Roll in back...

mullet.jpg