Pepca raids the Chamber of Accounts

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019

The Anti-Administrative Corruption division of the Attorney General Office (Pepca) raided the Chamber of Accounts for around 12 hours on Monday, 22 February 2021. The intervention was authorized by Supreme Court of Justice judge, María Garabito. The action is unprecedented in the Dominican Republic. The Chamber of Accounts is the government body in charge of ensuring the correct spending of government funds.

Two trucks were used to remove loads of documents and transport these to the Attorney General Office.

The operation was named “Snail Operation.” This could be in reference to the Chamber of Accounts’ reticence to provide the documentation sought by Pepca prosecutors. The Chamber of Accounts president Hugo Francisco Alvarez Perez is investigated for several crimes. Among these are obstruction of justice, being in cohoot with government officials, forgery of public...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Lobotomy Surgeon
May 6, 2016
It takes 23 prosecutors and 150 policemen needed for the raid of one agency ?
I say that in of itself smack of corruption and excess spending of public funds

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
Man, this just gets more interesting every day. Who thought we'd see the day?

Historical stuff indeed.

Our new Procuradora is definitely kicking butt and getting names.

JD Jones

Moderator - Covid 19 in DR & North Coast
Jan 7, 2016
It takes 23 prosecutors and 150 policemen needed for the raid of one agency ?
I say that in of itself smack of corruption and excess spending of public funds
Dude, you know how big the Chamber of Accounts is? The amount of documentation there is to go through?
It took 23 prosecutors 12 hours to go through all of it.
And given where it's located, I can see needing150 cops shutting down the entire area.