HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
No contest!

[video=youtube;loBhEZiDVSg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loBhEZiDVSg[/video]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not convinced with the wasp spray thing. I have got it in my face before while trying to get rid of a nest and although it was on my face, it did not enter my eye and so had no effect on my sight. It tasted nasty, but if that is the aim then I am happy to distribute samples of the MIL's cooking.

hey HUG.... you've had it in your face before , huh?

would you let me pull the trigger next time?

My aim might be better than yours.....

like suicide.... doing it yourself...... rarely hits the mark the first time...

needs practice to do harm to yourself - yourself

others do it effortlessly....

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
[video=youtube;IgC5TQWIF2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgC5TQWIF2k[/video]

I think my job here is done!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK HUG.... I like the video....

not the part about wasp spray 'Do not use this product indoors"

but all the rest makes some sense....

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I doubt an intruder would stand infront of a full stream for several seconds. Unless the unlikely had happened that I had concreted his feet into the ground, strapped a back brace to him and tied his hands behind his back and then decided to spray him. When police use these pepper sprays they usually get a few people and themselves to some extent, there is a reason for that. If you need to get the stream into the eyes to be effective then this would not be effective. I can put my head down, hands up and get to go before you can dance around trying to hit my eyes.
I suspect one could do a fine job spraying at a distance a consistent, solid stream at a moving object and defer an attack.

The same could be said for pepper spray, except it needs to be close.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I suspect one could do a fine job spraying at a distance a consistent, solid stream at a moving object and defer an attack.

The same could be said for pepper spray, except it needs to be close.

I think the video shows the obvious. How good you are at arcade games is irrelevant. I don't think the range is significant if any. Pepper sprays are not wasp sprays and vice versa for a reason. You lose, that means are wrong (just thought I'd explain as you may have not come across that concept before):bandit:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think the video shows the obvious. How good you are at arcade games is irrelevant. I don't think the range is significant if any. Pepper sprays are not wasp sprays and vice versa for a reason. You lose, that means are wrong (just thought I'd explain as you may have not come across that concept before):bandit:
The video above refers to a fogger as an effective tool, not the smallish pepper spray canister, and it makes sense. Their example is a group coming through a door which is only one scenario.

FWIW, we carry a small pepper spray canister in the car, and Alida has one in her purse at all times.

It is NOT an "either/or" suggestion. It's an "all of the above" suggestion.

Fact is, wasp spray has a much longer range than a smallish pepper spray canister.

And while there is no statement that wasp spray is for personal protection written on the can, I suggest that is more for the liability of the wasp spray manufacturer than for the user, just like a "Do Not Use in the Tub or Shower" label on a blow dryer.

But at night, in the dark, and you know someone is in the room but don't know where? Lacking other tools, wasp spray is the chemical equivalent of a sawed-off shotgun: it doesn't take direct hit to be effective and the range is longer. Or at least that's what "experts" I've hired in the past have said. However, a pepper fogger would be equally effective although seems to be a higher probability of also disabling the user at close range.

I am NOT anti-pepper spray at all and no doubt the delivery tech has improved. I AM pro-use-every-tool-at-your-disposal and for those without a high-tech arsenal of chemical protection devices, wasp spray has it's place.

That's all.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I repeat... spear gun if you a range of vision

I like both the pepper spray and the wasp killer.....

might even try it on real WASPs..... hehehe

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Reminder what this thread about, Pepper Spray.

======================

DR North Coast Crime Stoppers has given the wife and I Pepper Spray at cost to sell to people on the NC.

They are 250 pesos per unit. This is non profit.

They are small so you can conceal it in your hand while walking or easily put it in your pocket etc...

If you are interested PM me.

======================

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well let's see what happens the first time someone gets blasted with wasp spray and ends up in hospital for being poisoned.

The justice system here can be corrupt and effectual at times but the legal framework is pretty sound and specific. As foreigners we always have to remember, we are the target of criminals and sometimes the very system we rely on to protect us. It would be prudent not to give either party reason to take notice of us. The use of Pepper spray is defensible, toxic insecticide might be an entirely different matter.

Besides, sprays are intended to give you enough time to get away, they are not intended to necessarily totally incapacitate someone for long periods of time.

Just try to make sure that they are never found no matter if you use Pepper Spray or alternative methods.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
spray and run like hell. Not complicated. If inside, spray, close the door then run like hell. Works great except on windy days or nights.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The video above refers to a fogger as an effective tool, not the smallish pepper spray canister, and it makes sense. Their example is a group coming through a door which is only one scenario.

FWIW, we carry a small pepper spray canister in the car, and Alida has one in her purse at all times.

It is NOT an "either/or" suggestion. It's an "all of the above" suggestion.

Fact is, wasp spray has a much longer range than a smallish pepper spray canister.

Although that may be the case on a small canister. That is not a fact in the examples. The canisters are of the same size and can carry for up to 25'.

But at night, in the dark, and you know someone is in the room but don't know where? Lacking other tools, wasp spray is the chemical equivalent of a sawed-off shotgun: it doesn't take direct hit to be effective and the range is longer.
If you do not know where they are then you have less chance of hitting the eyes than before. I think the point has been made that you need to be a better shot with the wasp spray. I think you have wasp spray and pepper spray mixed up if we are talking which spreads its load similar to a shotgun.

I am NOT anti-pepper spray at all and no doubt the delivery tech has improved. I AM pro-use-every-tool-at-your-disposal and for those without a high-tech arsenal of chemical protection devices, wasp spray has it's place.
That's all.

I think the point is that if a small canister is more useful because people can actually use them. I have yet to go on a date with a young lady who keeps a 12" wasp spray i her purse. And I agree anything to save yourself is good. If you have no pepper spray then maybe a can of wasp spray will help.:squareeye

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So Harley, can I ask if anyone has taken you up on your generous offer for the pepper spray from CrimeStoppers?