by expats:
1. Dominicans
2. Expats
3. Dom-yorks

by dom yorks:
1. dom yorks
2. dominicans
3. expats

very generalised i know. not intended to offend, just my observations, i'm curious if others agree or disagree.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I don't think Dominicans outside the tourist areas would register "expats" as a social sector.

That is an excellent point! I'm not trying to hijack the thread and please forgive me this one indulgence, but the point does beg the question: are expats ever accepted into Dominican society?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
thanks waytogo!

i think chiri and rons are making opposite points, which hopefully means i am right :)

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Dominicans from NY

thanks waytogo!

i think chiri and rons are making opposite points, which hopefully means i am right :)

I dont think Dominicans from NY are as unpopular as you are describing them. Remember many Dominicans from all classes have a sister there. Or an aunt or a cousin. So you are saying they dont like their family. Apart from that inside your catagories there are different social classes again. And among expats there are many different nationalities. On dr1 we are kind of a Gringo, English speaking, North American and Northen European mixture. There are other groups. Like the Venezuelans/Colombians/Cubans. Southern Europeans Italians/french/Spanish. Eastern Europeans etc... Actually I dont think you can talk about Expats as a group at all.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That is an excellent point! I'm not trying to hijack the thread and please forgive me this one indulgence, but the point does beg the question: are expats ever accepted into Dominican society?
Depends on which part of society.

Into the poor Dominican society? Yes. Bring money.

Middle/upper middle? Yes, but it takes time, sincerity and good behaviors.

Upper? Good luck. If you do start buying lottery tickets.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
True.

Most tourists and expats don't register.

Agree. The only time I hear about how important expats are is usually in a room or forum full of them. They are not on the radar screen for most Dominicans.

It really is a much bigger country than many people think.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Expats

Depends on which part of society.

Into the poor Dominican society? Yes. Bring money.

Middle/upper middle? Yes, but it takes time, sincerity and good behaviors.

Upper? Good luck. If you do start buying lottery tickets.

I think that could generally be true. But again among expats you have all social levels too. Not fun to run out of money and be among the poor people who really dont like you. The middle and upper may help you if you in the meantime have earned their respect. and the upper ? Dont know.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Also think you have to define Dom-York, This is not all Dominicans in New York.

Member of group Leon that has an apartment in Long Island, not a Dom-York
Bronx with all the bling showing the folks in the campo how well they have done while washing dishs, Dom-York. For some reason the Dominicans in Miami are much different that what we tag as Dom-Yorks

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Miami

Also think you have to define Dom-York, This is not all Dominicans in New York.

Member of group Leon that has an apartment in Long Island, not a Dom-York
Bronx with all the bling showing the folks in the campo how well they have done while washing dishs, Dom-York. For some reason the Dominicans in Miami are much different that what we tag as Dom-Yorks

I think many Dominicans in Miami are just Latins in Miami. They are kind of one big group together.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Dominicans in Miami are allowed to be more middle class because Miami has been a place where for the last 50 years you can go about your life and do everything you need to do in Spanish. Having current and functional use of the language allows you to integrate yourself and start businesses in Miami. Assemble business liasons and coordinate alliances.

Now by no means are Miami Dominicans any better. For there is no culture in Miami. Absolutely none, Just poseurs and pretentiousness. But one can put on airs or symbols of affluence in Miami much easier than one can in NY, if one doesnt not speak English.

And I m still offended by this Dominican York thing. As though the NYers bring nothing to this place except for contempt and cantankerousness. The Dominicans in NY are the best there are. They are the ones MOST likely to be college educated, with CUNY, SUNY, plus many other public and private institutions. Find one of those in Miami or Florida as comprehensive as in NY State? Dominican Yorks are more likely to authorities on issues as compared to those in Florida. You swim in a big pool, you re surrounded by big fish. They are more likely to be more than trilingual or more, with cultural relevance, due to the large international community in NY.
Dominican Yorks rule!
What you are upset with is that the time they spent in NY, they have "outmacked" you and your ability to attract women. They treat them better and still "get the goods". The have a broader sense of fashion, of musical tastes, of literature, religion, food, sports, and life. What upsets the locals is that the DYs have seen more of the world than they have. Its as though, discovering your neighbor has a 40" LCD Panasonic HDTV with 300 channel satellite dish, while you struggle to make use of a 13" Emerson black and white with missing knobs and a coat hanger antennae.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
This is probably one of the most preposterous statements that I have ever heard. I lived briefly in New York and immediately distanced myself from the Dominican Community. I am sorry but what Dominican Culture are you talking about that exists in New York ? Identifying and mixing with blacks ? Throwing garbage everywhere ? Not progressing to the point of home ownership while driving a cheese SUV ? Spending all their money back to ungrateful relatives ? Most Domincan Yorks never even travel anywhere other than back home. Most Dominican Middle Class have traveled to more varied destinations than your average Dominican York. Your preferences speak volumes of you.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
And I m still offended by this Dominican York thing. As though the NYers bring nothing to this place except for contempt and cantankerousness. The Dominicans in NY are the best there are. They are the ones MOST likely to be college educated, with CUNY, SUNY, plus many other public and private institutions.

please don't mix dom-yorks in with that group. the people you describe have integrated properly into the USA, and become american. they're on their way to living the american dream or what is left of it.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
This is probably one of the most preposterous statements that I have ever heard. I lived briefly in New York and immediately distanced myself from the Dominican Community. I am sorry but what Dominican Culture are you talking about that exists in New York ? Identifying and mixing with blacks ? Throwing garbage everywhere ? Not progressing to the point of home ownership while driving a cheese SUV ? Spending all their money back to ungrateful relatives ? Most Domincan Yorks never even travel anywhere other than back home. Most Dominican Middle Class have traveled to more varied destinations than your average Dominican York. Your preferences speak volumes of you.

you seem to be the first person here who really agrees with me on this topic.. i've been surprised so many seem to feel i'm wrong, when on the ground in NYC everything i see is exactly what you're said. additionally, what you write is exactly what successful dominicans i've met in NYC have told me.

i'm not trying to stir controversy; i'm posting about this because it is something i'm genuinely trying to understand better via these discussions; its been rather confusing.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

Dont hate me because I am beautiful. I know you. I know your type. Self-effacing bourgeousie Miami Dominicans. All pomp and circumstance no substance. Panty-waists. To be true, you couldnt cut it in NY. You couldnt live in NY because you were unwilling to compromise nor share. You re a fraud from a family of frauds, so you sent yourself back to Pembroke Pines where your father runs a jewelry store in a strip mall and although he has money from that venture, he has procreated a brood of sniveling brats. You re a hater. And the worst type. You hate yourself. You are an Uncle Tom with a grandiose ego but weak identity. You associate your importance with what you have. Therefore Dominicans in NYers who dont have what you have then they must be flawed.

Identifying and mixing with blacks? Cant be that bad. There would be no music superstars if they hadnt. There would be no Fania All Stars if there were no Sound of Philadelphia. And as a side note notice how at least TSOP artists and label owners got paid while EVERYONE on FANIA got screwed out of their royalties and publishing. Perico? Merengue? Come on man, that music is dead. It died from a lack of creativity. Every record in 2010 sounds like a similar record from 1977. The biggest name in the business is Anthony Santos, lead for Aventura. Where did he come from? Where did his talent come from? He came from interpolating the R&B sound with bachata. Why is he so popular? Your sentiments would be that he corrupted the pure bachata sound. He "denigrated" it to be clear, right? Or as I d say he made it better, more open, willing to experiment and take the music in a new direction, generate new fans and better production. The Miami Sound? Never heard of it since Gwen McRae, KC & the Sunshine Band and Betty Wright.

So what is this vanglorious Miami culture you hold so dear? Is there a Dominican Institute at Miami Dade College like there is a City University of NY? Are there Museums that not only express ANY culture but a plethora of it in Miami? Do they have free concerts ANYWHERE in Miami? Do they have CONCERTS at all? Where are the public parks in Miami? And those universities that produce......? What do they produce?
So what is this Stupendous Floridian culture that you cling to that no one can find with even the minimum amount of effort? So apart from talking about the Dolphins all day, Miami is what?

Throwing garbage everywhere is something they learned in the Dominican Republic. I dont know where you been but in DR, there is garbage everywhere...and some of it is driving very expensive SUVs.

Your aversion to my statements tells us how "dominican" you really are. I bet you got a couple of the restavik girls in your house that you "Strom Thurmond out" dont you?

*I lived in Miami, I know its a sh1thole, and the people are braindead.

E

engineerfg

Good and funny post.

Although I don't know many expats who think themselves lower than Dominicans? Typically it's gripes about this being a third world country and hwo the people don't realize how indentured they are to sexist/racist class distinctions.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
please don't mix dom-yorks in with that group. the people you describe have integrated properly into the USA, and become american. they're on their way to living the american dream or what is left of it.

Heres my question for you? DO all Australians drive Subarus, carry bow knifes, play digiree-doos, drink Foster Lager and throw shrimps on the barbie? Apart from stealing land from Aborigines, kidnapping their children, putting them in orphanages(even though they had parents) and brainwashing them?

Excuse me bro, but wasnt Australia formed as a prison colony? That place must be FULL of ne'er-do-wells, its in your DNA.

Who are you to define someones merit or potential? Based solely on where they live???????? Thats mighty white of you. Do you know everyone who has integrated "properly" into the USA? And the history that enabled them to "integrate properly"? DO you know any one in the USA? Do you know what the American Dream is? Is there only 1 dream? Can there be only 1 dream? Your dream, your mind...oh, what would I do without your big colonial brain?? You know Washington Heights like the back of your hand from the 4 times you were there hanging out with hoodrats? You should write a novel of your experiences and turn it into a screenplay so I can go to the movies and throw tomatoes at the screen.

Dispute my self-proclaimed fact that Dominicans in or from NY are the most educated or will become the most educated Dominicans in the WORLD. The Whole WIDE World!