Permanent Residency Timeline

Aug 21, 2007
I imagine this question has been answered previously, but I am not so efficient with the search function.

I began the permanent residency process in May 2020. Did the medical exam and completed all the paperwork processes. Still have not received a date to return to immigration.

My lawyer- who is reputable and has worked with me and several other ex-pats that I know says that this long wait is normal. She says it usually takes 4-5 months but with the change in government is taking longer. She sent me the screen shot of my name in the system.

What I wonder is how long it took you to complete the process? Should I be worried?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have a friend that started two years ago and still doesn't have it, but this is an initial permanent residency application, not a transition from temporary to permanent.

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
I imagine this question has been answered previously, but I am not so efficient with the search function.

I began the permanent residency process in May 2020. Did the medical exam and completed all the paperwork processes. Still have not received a date to return to immigration.

My lawyer- who is reputable and has worked with me and several other ex-pats that I know says that this long wait is normal. She says it usually takes 4-5 months but with the change in government is taking longer. She sent me the screen shot of my name in the system.

What I wonder is how long it took you to complete the process? Should I be worried

Haven't used a lawyer since out initial temporary. The initial temp to permanent took about 4 months, the renewal of permanent took less than 30 days. Guessing the virus has had an effect on the temp to permanent transition though. I can't remember exactly when the office opened again but the real question is how long has it been since then?

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for your responses. This is the initial temporary. It appears from the screen shot she sent me that she did not complete the application online until May 28. She says with the change in government things are taking a little longer.

Will try to stay patient a while longer before I think something is wrong.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Very little happened at DGM from when the govt shut down in March to when it reopened after the election. Renewals seem fairly straight forward but anything the constitutes a major change of status seems to take longer. Keep after your lawyer to make inquiries and not let your application languish in a desk drawer somewhere as often happens at DGM when functionaries choose not to deal with something. Good luck.

aeng

Aug 13, 2019
My first year Permanent expired at the beginning of July. I made the renewal application 2 weeks before. My Solicitor prepared all the papers. Two weeks ago I had to have the mandatory Blood / Health check. I'm told that in another two weeks we will have to go to Santo Domingo to finalise everything. The first year Permanent is for one year only. (at the time I was told it was good for four years) The renewal is apparently for 4 years. Because of the time taken to start the renewal process by DGM I got fined 2months excess !

Lindsey your first post said it was your permanent application ; your second post said it was your initial temporary.

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It's very helpful to know what type of residency the OP is talking about and whether it's initial or renewal. Gets very confusing otherwise. The requirements are all different.

Aug 21, 2007
My first year Permanent expired at the beginning of July. I made the renewal application 2 weeks before. My Solicitor prepared all the papers. Two weeks ago I had to have the mandatory Blood / Health check. I'm told that in another two weeks we will have to go to Santo Domingo to finalise everything. The first year Permanent is for one year only. (at the time I was told it was good for four years) The renewal is apparently for 4 years. Because of the time taken to start the renewal process by DGM I got fined 2months excess !

Lindsey your first post said it was your permanent application ; your second post said it was your initial temporary.
No it is my first permanent residency application. Sorry for the error.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think a distinction has to be made between applying for a permanent residency as your initial residency application and applying for permanent residency for the first time after meeting the 5 year temporary residency requirement. Different requirements and the government seems to be handling them differently.

Aug 21, 2007
OKay. I had temporary residency for 5 years. Now I am applying for the first time for permanent residency. Here in the Dominican Republic. I am American. From the USA.

aeng

Aug 13, 2019
Lindsey, just an update from my previous post if it's of any help ; Yesterday I went to Santo Domingo and received my Permanent Residencia for the next 4 years. As my Solicitor had said, the appointment was about 2-3 weeks after having my medical. She had made all the necessary paperwork in the Puerto Plata Office. We had recieved a previous email stating a 13.15 appointment . From the time of arrival at 10.45 we were seen virtually immediately ; done, dusted and away in about 45 minutes !.
Next to the Office to renew my Cedula. A few more people there. This took a little longer probably about an hour. The Fee to renew for a 4 year period was 5000 peso. What I was not prepared for was an additional charge of 1000 pesos per month from the July expiry date until yesterdays date .. another 5000 pesos ! Was pointless trying to argue that the delays were not my fault !!! Others were clearly caught out by the same practice. One old couple just walked out seemingly not having insufficient funds to pay this "fine"

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Others are telling me the first permanent residency application (after 5 years of temporary) takes longer.

Someone else just told me today that all government offices are way behind.

Frankly, I don’t know. Will let this go on a little longer then I will start being a daily bother to my lawyer.

I also heard of penalty charges for receiving the documents after expiration of previous residency. What a pain.

I always said that migration in Santo Domingo was the armpit of the Earth.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

The 2nd renewal is not 4 years but 2.

aeng

Aug 13, 2019
Chico bill, Sorry to disagree with your. My second Permanent Residencia ( after the first year ) is for 4 years
Renewed yesterday .. Fecha Expedicion 20/11/2020 ; Fecha Expiracion 20/11/2024 12 000 pesos

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
Thanks for the reply. Others are telling me the first permanent residency application (after 5 years of temporary) takes longer.

Someone else just told me today that all government offices are way behind.

Frankly, I don’t know. Will let this go on a little longer then I will start being a daily bother to my lawyer.

I also heard of penalty charges for receiving the documents after expiration of previous residency. What a pain.

I always said that migration in Santo Domingo was the armpit of the Earth.
Yes, the transfer to permanent takes longer. About 90 to 120 business days to be exact. If the application was done in May there´s still some time left as the DGM never answers before this period.

Aug 21, 2007
Yes, the transfer to permanent takes longer. About 90 to 120 business days to be exact. If the application was done in May there´s still some time left as the DGM never answers before this period.

Thanks. Still have not received it. Cancelled my travel plans for January. Keeping my fingers crossed it is not much longer.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Changing categories is what takes the longest time. Mine, going from temporary to permanent, took almost a year and I was penalized for the expired months due to no fault of my own. I am now renewing permanent and am told it will be 4 years; requirements are much less, and I'm in waiting mode to be told how much, choose where to pay and have medical, and then wait to hear when to go to SD. And of course, the holidays are coming so I expect more delays. Good luck.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I am due to go for my first Permanent Residency in a couple of months. I have done my own renewals for Temporary myself with no problem. What's the advice about going Permanent? Is it better to use a lawyer?

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
I am due to go for my first Permanent Residency in a couple of months. I have done my own renewals for Temporary myself with no problem. What's the advice about going Permanent? Is it better to use a lawyer?
We did the change ourselves - zero issue. Also the first renewal of permanent (4 years) zero issue. The website is very easy to follow

Reactions: drstock