Permanent Residency

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
If you have a serious medical condition, you may prefer to have it done in the US. I know if I ever need a heart transplant, I sure won't have it done here.
That is exactly why I didn't opt out. Yea, I've paid for almost 4 years now, but if I live into my 80s, it will probably be worth it. Besides, I'm not starving now.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I believe no one mentioned the below. However any good Medicare Advantage Plan pays 100 %.

Des Medicare only pay 80%?

Part B - Center for Medicare Advocacy

After the beneficiary meets the annual deductible, Part B will pay 80% of the “reasonable charge” for covered services, the reimbursement rate determined by Medicare; the beneficiary is responsible for the remaining 20% as “co-insurance.

Reactions: cavok and colmcb

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It is very relevant for those of us who are Americans and of age for Medicare.
Well, I am getting a bit fed up with opening this thread to find out if anything important or interesting is being said about Permanent Residency in the DR and finding only posts about US Medicare which has very little to do with the subject, especially for us non-US citizens.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Well, I am getting a bit fed up with opening this thread to find out if anything important or interesting is being said about Permanent Residency in the DR and finding only posts about US Medicare which has very little to do with the subject, especially for us non-US citizens.
With free healthcare, I don't think Europeans and Brits have to worry about this. Not sure about Canadians(?).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With free healthcare, I don't think Europeans and Brits have to worry about this. Not sure about Canadians(?).
As I understand it, some Canadians have the issue of potentially being out of their country for too long that there is a waiting period for health care to start up again.

Never understood this, but rules is rules. I believe it is an issue with "being in the DR";) longer than 6 months at a time for at least some provinces of Canada.

No idea regarding the EU and UK.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As I understand it, some Canadians have the issue of potentially being out of their country for too long that there is a waiting period for health care to start up again.

Never understood this, but rules is rules. I believe it is an issue with "being in the DR";) longer than 6 months at a time for at least some provinces of Canada.

No idea regarding the EU and UK.
3 months wait, upon returning to Canada. I have Blue Cross paid for by Veterans Affairs Canada, so my medical coverage under that never stops in Canada or internationally, however for any of the provincial plans it is a 3 month wait to re-enroll. One can have dual residency but there are tax implications when you do that.

Reactions: colmcb and cavok

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
3 months wait, upon returning to Canada. I have Blue Cross paid for by Veterans Affairs Canada, so my medical coverage under that never stops in Canada or internationally, however for any of the provincial plans it is a 3 month wait to re-enroll. One can have dual residency but there are tax implications when you do that.
Makes zero sense, that wait. After all you were no burden at all on their system for however long you were out of the country.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Makes zero sense, that wait. After all you were no burden at all on their system for however long you were out of the country.
It’s basically an administrative thing Windy. The Feds and the Provinces keep close track of who is in or out of the system to prevent fraud. The bottom line is no legal Canadian citizen is going to die waiting for medical treatment while their access is being renewed. There is a greater risk of dying because of our overloaded and understaffed medical system. That’s why I opted to have my heart testing and assessment done at HOMS after I was diagnosed and waitlisted for testing in Canada.

If I had chosen to go the pensioner residency route in the DR, I have a more than adequate private medical plan that exceeds the criteria.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It’s basically an administrative thing Windy. The Feds and the Provinces keep close track of who is in or out of the system to prevent fraud. The bottom line is no legal Canadian citizen is going to die waiting for medical treatment while their access is being renewed. There is a greater risk of dying because of our overloaded and understaffed medical system. That’s why I opted to have my heart testing and assessment done at HOMS after I was diagnosed and waitlisted for testing in Canada.

If I had chosen to go the pensioner residency route in the DR, I have a more than adequate private medical plan that exceeds the criteria.
Say it however you want, the waiting period still makes no sense to me. Where is the fraud in coming home for medical care? I understand that socialized medicine is not as good as some tout and your post is proof of that.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013

Unless things have changed recently - the "FEDS" ie passport control/info and the Provinces ( health care coverage ) do NOT talk to each other. I and others I know ( at least in Ontario ) return after extended absences and as long as your health card is not expired - no problem using it.

Let's hope that continues. :cool: Because, as Windy stated, we have done nothing wrong and in fact have paid for this "supposed free" health care all our working lives.

Reactions: windeguy

marcosalm

Jul 24, 2018
Santiago
Hi all, speaking of residency and insurance; does anyone know where I can get my repatriation insurance in Santiago? Last year I got in Banreserva offices. This year no one seems to know......I have heard it's in an office called "crecer"??? Before I venture out to Villa Olga I thought someone here may know. Thanks!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Hi all, speaking of residency and insurance; does anyone know where I can get my repatriation insurance in Santiago? Last year I got in Banreserva offices. This year no one seems to know......I have heard it's in an office called "crecer"??? Before I venture out to Villa Olga I thought someone here may know. Thanks!
A friend of mine recently renewed his Temporary Residency, and I'm pretty sure he got it at Banreserva.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks Drstock; was there this morning and they sent me on the goose chase.....
They should be able to tell you the exact name and the exact address. Ask them to write it, no, print it for you on a slip of paper. Maybe they even have a phone number.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't know if it's associated with Banreservas, but the insurnce company is called ARS Reservas. There's one in Santiago. You can do it all online.

Reactions: marcosalm
Status
Not open for further replies.