PEX water lines

Sep 4, 2012
I know drywall, but do they hold up in a high humidity environment? I mean would it require more maintenance than a block wall. 

High humidity isn't the problem -- wetness is. Drywall is as maintenance free as blocks are until Murphy shows up.
If you have the means to get the tools, I would go with PEX rather than anything else available.

If you can post on DR1, you too could install PEX -- it is just that easy!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I first used pex in rebuilding houses after Katrina. One needs three different sizes of crimpers for different sizes of pipes at about $80 each if I remember right, but in a place where most mechanic shops don't even have batttery chargers we can expect to wait another decade before most plumbers in the DR have pex tools I would assume.
Der Fish

hell fish I will be happy when they show up for the job with their own tools instead of wanting to use mine!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nobody suggested using drywall outside.
Windeguy did say

which could also have been worded "I would never think of using drywall here other than maybe an office environment."
Green GWB for bathrooms could be an option. There is also board product made from bagasse although it is not very common. There are several threads about it in the forums.

And the most important part of using drywall here (inside only of course:D) is that you never hire a Dominican cleaning staff. You must have your cleaning people brought in from first world countries. Anyone who has seen cleaning done here will understand why drywall would become wetwall in the matter of a few days.

As for PEX, just import your own tools and raw materials and have at it. Sounds like a great solution to an issue that nobody else sees as an existing problem with the normal plastic tubing used here now.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
the best thing about pex is you would never have any joints (connections) in the floor witch often time end up leaking, like the one I first had to find and then fix .

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
What is PEX, is it different than PE tubes for water supply? I had my pvc pipes changed to PE two years ago. There are stores specialized in that.

PEX is a type of flexible pipes that I believe are supposed to be stronger than regular PVC. Since it's flexible, you can route it around things much easier than PVC.

You run main lines to each area and connect them to a manifold with valves for each item that uses water. definitely works better than regular PVC.

If you have a problem with a toilet, you turn off the valve for the toilet, and everything else remains pressurized.

It's been used here for years. My last experience with it was back in 2003, so it's been around awhile.

I bet it's probably used here a lot more than most folks imagine.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Thank you

Call the folks at CODELPA and they can tell you who works with PEX here in Santo Domingo. j

BTW, smart idea to use it in your project.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
PEX is a type of flexible pipes that I believe are supposed to be stronger than regular PVC. Since it's flexible, you can route it around things much easier than PVC.

You run main lines to each area and connect them to a manifold with valves for each item that uses water. definitely works better than regular PVC.

If you have a problem with a toilet, you turn off the valve for the toilet, and everything else remains pressurized.

It's been used here for years. My last experience with it was back in 2003, so it's been around awhile.

I bet it's probably used here a lot more than most folks imagine.

Here being where for you JD?
Der Fish