Photos of the Santo Domingo-Samana highway

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Public buses on the highway?

Does anyone know if it's possible to take a Caribe Tours or any public bus from SDQ to LasTerrenas on this fantastic new highway?

Mar 27, 2006
paying the tolls

Quit complaining....Try to imagine laying out the millions of $$$$ for many years and not receiving any toll income? Of course, you can always go the old, slow way if you don't want to pay the tolls.:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Quit complaining....Try to imagine laying out the millions of $$$$ for many years and not receiving any toll income? Of course, you can always go the old, slow way if you don't want to pay the tolls.:

Sinceramente...

I love Samana and swore I wouldn't go back until the new highway was finished (I live in Santo Domingo), so I went last Sunday on a one day trip and it was amazing how fast you can get there and how painless the trip is, even if you still have to travel one hour on the old road (full of holes and motocycles and people sitting on the side of the road or crossing the road), is only one hour going accross from Las Americas to the old road!!! that's worth more than $325 compared to the old way. You''re not only saving money on fuel but time also, travel time is cut in half!!!

Also going to Nagua is faster now, we left Sunday at 9am from Las Americas, drove to Samana on the new road, had breakfast in Sanchez around 10:30, then went on to visit Playa del Valle, went back to Samana and then to Portillo via El Limon, then las Terrenas and back to the highway through the mountains, at 3pm we were in Nagua having lunch at Parador Hernandez (highly recommended, moderately priced and great Dominican cooking, seafood always fresh). At 5pm we took the highway back to Santo Domingo and at 6:30 I was home resting. It's like a dream come true, day trips to Samana are a reality now!!!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Hello Cabrera

What will happen to the paradise that Cabrera and surroundings are, now that the SDQ crowd can hop over for a weekend? Is the Juan Dolio/Guayacanes condo suddenly unattractive? How 'bout that villa in La Romana? Just asking.
Will be interesting to see the trend develop one way or the other.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Yeah, I'll be nice to see how things mature.

Anything east of Rio San Juan should be quicker and easier to get to on this high way than the alternative -through the Duarte highways. That not only include people but also agricultural and other stuff - rice from a big chunk of the Yuna basin, the variety of stuff grown in the Cabrera region and in Monte Plata, etc. - coming to the lower Coast, no just Santo Doming but anywhere from Barahona to Punta Cana. Same applies to manufactured and other stuff going the opposite direction. In fact, transporting manufactured goods and stuff going out or coming through the sea ports and airports may also be significantly affected. In fact, it now becomes much more efficient to set up free trade plants in and around Monte Plata. SDQ should replace Puerto Plata and Santiago as the the airport of choice for international passengers that can't fly direct to Samana but are ultimately headed to Cabrera, Nagua, Samana and even a big chunk of San Francico province - like Arrenoso.

But yeah, those awesome mansions around La Catalina, Abreu and Cabrera just got a major additional marketing point. This should help them expand their client base significantly.

Fortunately, DR1 is well hedged, lol, ...

image-villa.jpg

castellamonte_1.jpg

Villa Castellamonte North Coast, Cabrera

sea_tree_2.jpg

sea_tree_3.jpg

Sea Tree, Cabrera

villa_cantamar_2.jpg

villa_cantamar_5.jpg

Villa Cantamar Cabrera

villa_agualinda_3.jpg

Villa Agualinda Cabarete

casa_bella_villa_2.jpg

Casa Bella Villa Cabrera

villa_flying_cloud_2.jpg

Flying Cloud Cabrera

villa_costa_norte_2.jpg

Villa Costa Norte, Cabrera

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Santo Domingo to Samana...

Does anyone know if it's possible to take a Caribe Tours or any public bus from SDQ to LasTerrenas on this fantastic new highway?

Susan,there are several buses that leave the bus station on corner of caracas and enriquillo,off duarte,near plaza lama..they start at 730 am,and go until 4pm...some to LT and some to Samana...all use new highway now..from Sd to LT is about2hr 15 min
bob

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thank you SO much for answering my question, JaguarBob!!

bus station on corner of caracas and enriquillo

How long do you think it would take to go by taxi from the airport to the bus station? Our flight arrives at 2:30pm and we really need to get to LT that same day!:cool:

Susan