Piano Bars in the DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have just been informed there was a lady in Caberete who used to sing jazz and play the piano. My friend tells me she still comes around once in a while- an older, black American lady, he said, who was really fun to listen to. Anyone know about her or the place she used to play ?

I have not heard of her in over 10 years of being in Cabarete. And I am into music. The lack of real pianos is no longer a major limitation because of the quality of all electronic pianos at this time. True that no electronic piano will be identical to an acoustic piano, but they are "close enough for rock and roll"!

Maybe I should brush up a lounge act?

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Playing a merengue tipico accordion is pretty difficult, especially since the accordion style in Tipico music is quite unique.

For the person who said that most Dominican artist show up late, and only play for an hour, I'll recommend you to go to a Banda Real fiesta, on average they play for up to six hours, actually any Tipico band out there plays for more than 4 hours per presentation.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Playing a merengue tipico accordion is pretty difficult, especially since the accordion style in Tipico music is quite unique.

For the person who said that most Dominican artist show up late, and only play for an hour, I'll recommend you to go to a Banda Real fiesta, on average they play for up to six hours, actually any Tipico band out there plays for more than 4 hours per presentation.

understatement of the year lol

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I would rather listen to someone scratching their fingernails on a blackboard than listen to Merengue Tipico.

The late start times and short play time is done by artists like Antony Santos, Frank Reyes and other artists that tour the north coast concert venues.

For the people talking about playing the accordion, I went to see El Prodigio once in Gaspar Hernandez. I forced my wife to leave during the first song and he is the best of the best in that style. I know how difficult it is, and I also know how difficult it is to sing opera. I cannot listen to opera, either.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My wife will argue to the death about that statement Windeguy, she has some serious love for her Piano! ;-)

I don't hear a difference at all, but I know nothing about music stuff!!!!

Yes. but your wife is a musician, and we are programmed to be very critical listeners. Only the musicians and critical listeners in an audience will either care or be able to tell the difference between a good electronic piano and a real piano. Like yourself, Easton, that will be very few people.

Last weekend I played for a private party at Velero in Cabarete. I used sampled piano and organ sounds. Nobody minded and we received many compliments. After that I then went to catch the end of a jazz show at Sea Horse Ranch. The electronic Yamaha piano sounded great and people really appreciated the talent of the group.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes. but your wife is a musician, and we are programmed to be very critical listeners. Only the musicians and critical listeners in an audience will either care or be able to tell the difference between a good electronic piano and a real piano. Like yourself, Easton, that will be very few people.

Last weekend I played for a private party at Velero in Cabarete. I used sampled piano and organ sounds. Nobody minded and we received many compliments. After that I then went to catch the end of a jazz show at Sea Horse Ranch. The electronic Yamaha piano sounded great and people really appreciated the talent of the group.

was that the show with that Brazilian guitarist, with a quintet?( drums, bass, percussion, guitar, keyboards)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Harley, do you really think the average guy here can tell the difference between a Steinway and a Rhodes?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
was that the show with that Brazilian guitarist, with a quintet?( drums, bass, percussion, guitar, keyboards)

The guitarist was French. Alex Jacquemin They had a drummer and a keyboard player that played left hand bass.
[video=youtube;5xX5vqfLvkI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xX5vqfLvkI[/video]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The guitarist was French. Alex Jacquemin They had a drummer and a keyboard player that played left hand bass.
[video=youtube;5xX5vqfLvkI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xX5vqfLvkI[/video]

ok..there is a Brazilian guitarist that i know does some work on the NC with a group of musicians out of POP. i think his name is Taddeo..something.

Michael2000

Oct 5, 2011
Hi Kozy, I have a couple of good suggestions for you, what part are you north, south? Just because the media doesn't support good art it does'nt means that is not there. M

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
old school latin jazz anywhere?

I will be in Santiago for a few days and wondering if there is anywhere to hear some good old school-style Latin jazz music? Thanks.