Pica. Picante.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I asked my Dominican wife: Same kind of answer as Mr. AE... she said that's Dominican word. She actually stopped for a moment when I asked and said "you mean "picante"?
Yes, It's a Dominican word, a Puerto Rican word, a Mexican word, a Colombian word, a Costa Rican word, a Honduran word, a Venezuelan word - on and on and on.

Reactions: johne

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
But apparently not in the DR. Lots of people commenting on the blandness of Dominican cuisine and the lack of using hot (spicy) condiments...etc. A lot of bird peppers grow wild here and they are used in a sauce that people used on their quipe and empanadas...etc. Packs a good punch.
Both Baldom and Ranchero(Dominican brands) make salsa picante. It can be found in all the supermarkets. I doubt they're making it just for us gringos.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Glad to see you pondering life's enigmas John. The Buddha taught we should not preoccupy ourselves with such things.
Picante
Picoso
Pica Pollo
Pica
Pikachu

Btw, do you have a Scoville reference for these peppers? Do you grow them for your own consumption or do you sell
Yes I know the SHU references. I do not sell anything. What I don't use I give away. BTW Who is Budda? Never heard of the man.

Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They also sell ones that look almost exactly like habaneros but they are marked "ajis gustosos" that are not as picante.

Are those the same as what Dominicans call cachucha peppers?
IMG_4624.jpeg

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They sell them in the supermarket but grow them elsewhere...I think?
They're sold in the supermarkets in those small styrofoam trays, then wrapped with cellophane, weighed, and priced in the store. That's typical of produce grown here. I've never seen imported produce packaged like that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They're sold in the supermarkets in those small styrofoam trays, then wrapped with cellophane, weighed, and priced in the store. That's typical of produce grown here. I've never seen imported produce packaged like that.

Yes, definitely grown here. We buy them from the roadside stands between Najayo and Palenque, all local produce. They usually have a little pile of them and measure them by a styrofoam or plastic cup. A little goes a long way. We remove the seeds when cooking

Reactions: cavok