PICHARDO Spin this: Blackouts kill five children

Status
Not open for further replies.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Its a very tragic accident. Poor parenting. No question. This is what happens when kids raise kids.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
since we are on the subject of children deaths. how about the one who drowned in a hotel pool because the parents left for 10 minutes to check the restaurant? hmm, how could the government be guilty? why, there should be food delivery to the poolside, gratis! how about the one who fell into an open cistern? yes, it's the government again, not delivering water into the pipes. and the one who suffocated wrapped in a bed sheet? the government should have sent someone to iron them, of course. and the one who was found dead with a telephone cable wrapped around the neck? it's the government again, the cable should have been running underground.

my fren, children deaths are nearly a daily occurrence here. a weekend before last 5 kids died in house fires, all caused by burning candles, all with absent parents. wouldn't you think that people SHOULD HAVE LEARNT THE LESSON LONG TIME AGO????

IMO, a country's culture is a reflection of the values/actions/beliefs of the people. This country is kind of a disaster, and it's up to Dominicans to fix it. It is their responsibility to educate the kids, ensure transparency in the government, reduce corruption, promote birth control, etc. No-one will do it for them.
There have been challenges in the past that have made it difficult for Dominicans to do this. So what? Too bad! Every nation has its challenges to overcome; we all have our history. Some have fared better than others in terms of providing a good quality of life to their citizens. I am tired of hearing the debates about WHY some people are poor and how "evil" capitalism, the West, blahblahblah, have caused the world's ills.
I guess the "thinking" Dominicans don't outnumber the stupid, greedy, "no es mi culpa" ones? maybe the day that they do, things will change. Who knows?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
IMO this goes well into the category of "remember where you are".

This goes beyond bad parenting. You don?t leave the house for one second if there are small children inside so that you don?t know what?s going on. Let alone when any heat source is on. Live fire just goes beyond anything...

RIP the little ones.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Compassion!

IMO this goes well into the category of "remember where you are".

This goes beyond bad parenting. You don?t leave the house for one second if there are small children inside so that you don?t know what?s going on. Let alone when any heat source is on. Live fire just goes beyond anything...

RIP the little ones.

Finally, a compassionate posting. Whatever you think of the parents, however smart you are, these children are tragically dead.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
People have been using candles for ages

Indeed Frank. Including the good ol USA in the past. having candles to use in the American household use to be common practice in times of blackouts and I don't think any of the house fires and deaths of the children caused by this was classified as poor parenting. Now of course, families are encouraged to use flashlights and battery powered lamps for emergency light. Nobody remembers what use to light up areas around the xmas trees in the states and how many fires and deaths this practice caused??

Apr 7, 2014
Indeed Frank. Including the good ol USA in the past. having candles to use in the American household use to be common practice in times of blackouts and I don't think any of the house fires and deaths of the children caused by this was classified as poor parenting. Now of course, families are encouraged to use flashlights and battery powered lamps for emergency light. Nobody remembers what use to light up areas around the xmas trees in the states and how many fires and deaths this practice caused??
Or just poor understanding of how to be safe.
Candles here are sold without a base or retainer. Mounted on a windowsill or tabletop. So when the candle melts it can only start a fire. Safety would say put the candle in a glass or buy candles in a glass. Or center the candle in a bowl or pot full of water.

Another thing is the candle may have a 20 minute burn time and these women say they went to the colmado...but for how long? They may have been there for an hour, just putzing around for a free beer.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Or just poor understanding of how to be safe.
Candles here are sold without a base or retainer. Mounted on a windowsill or tabletop. So when the candle melts it can only start a fire. Safety would say put the candle in a glass or buy candles in a glass. Or center the candle in a bowl or pot full of water.

Another thing is the candle may have a 20 minute burn time and these women say they went to the colmado...but for how long? They may have been there for an hour, just putzing around for a free beer.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

your last remark just about sums it up.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have learned something in this thread. People feel that blackouts caused by the government mismanagement of the power generation and distribution systems in the DR have no causality in such incidents.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I have learned something in this thread. People feel that blackouts caused by the government mismanagement of the power generation and distribution systems in the DR have no causality in such incidents.

Not really, Windy.

Every summer, every big town in the U.S. has at least one, maybe several stories about parents leaving kids in cars with the windows closed. Generally the kids survive, but sometimes, it becomes a real tragedy.

Do we blame the auto manufacturers for not having "kids in hot cars" sensors? No, we blame the parents, because ultimately it's their irresponsibility that causes the problem.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not really, Windy.

Every summer, every big town in the U.S. has at least one, maybe several stories about parents leaving kids in cars with the windows closed. Generally the kids survive, but sometimes, it becomes a real tragedy.

Do we blame the auto manufacturers for not having "kids in hot cars" sensors? No, we blame the parents, because ultimately it's their irresponsibility that causes the problem.

I see they are indeed exactly the same thing.

1) Government causes frequent blackouts. Jenny Moronica lights a candle because she cannot see, goes out for a beer and her kids burn.

2) Jane Stupid leaves kids in hot car. They die.

Identical, I see it now. Minus the government cause in 1.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Government causes frequent blackouts. Jenny Moronica lights a candle because she cannot see, goes out for a beer and her kids burn.

you are taking no fui yo way too far. jenny moronica does not light a candle because she cannot see. she ain't home. she leaves the house with kids and a burning candle inside because she is a brainless idiot who cannot possibly predict the course of action. and because she's thirsty for a fria. and guess what. with her no fui yo approach she will do it again. and again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
you are taking no fui yo way too far. jenny moronica does not light a candle because she cannot see. she ain't home. she leaves the house with kids and a burning candle inside because she is a brainless idiot who cannot possibly predict the course of action. and because she's thirsty for a fria. and guess what. with her no fui yo approach she will do it again. and again.

Why exactly then did she light a candle?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I see they are indeed exactly the same thing.

1) Government causes frequent blackouts. Jenny Moronica lights a candle because she cannot see, goes out for a beer and her kids burn.

2) Jane Stupid leaves kids in hot car. They die.

Identical, I see it now. Minus the government cause in 1.

Government causes the blackout in a private company? Any fool can light a candle. Any person with brains makes sure it can't fall down and if it does it's not near anything that can burn. No good parent leaves two babies or toddlers alone for even five minutes. This is 100 percent the fault of the stupid women with two dead children.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
they be scared of the dark?

Electricity goes off from incompetent utility, mom, who happens to be an idiot, lights a candle because she thinks babies need at least some light and they die when she leaves them unattended.

And the electricity going off has nothing to do with this. "I see", said the blind man.

And now for some Alice:

[video=youtube;TEe-N80w7Rs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEe-N80w7Rs[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Electricity goes off from incompetent utility, mom, who happens to be an idiot, lights a candle because she thinks babies need at least some light and they die when she leaves them unattended.
And the electricity going off has nothing to do with this. "I see", said the blind man.

yes, the electricity has nothing to do with it. it goes off in thousands of households in this land yet somehow most people manage that well.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
yes, the electricity has nothing to do with it. it goes off in thousands of households in this land yet somehow most people manage that well.

Makes one wonder why HOY would report that a blackout killed five children. Just sensationalist reporting instead of putting the blame on the mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.