Pie ?

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
I was just at Pricesmart Monday, and they indeed had pecan pies.
I noticed them because they were so dark in color and I wondered what they were.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
OK, that's enough talk about pecan pies. No need to keep mentioning pecan pies. Let's talk about the weather. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: AlterEgo
Aug 21, 2007
I was in Pricesmart SDEste about a month ago with a fellow DR1'r. I didn't notice if they had pies. For my waist's sake, I hope they don't.

They only seem to carry them during Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons, although I have seen apple pie there at other times, on occasion.

I have yet to eat a good pie made in the DR, so PriceSmart is the next best thing.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It is not pecan, but last Thanksgiving I made a chocolate hazelnut pie with Frangelico. It was really good. If you can make or buy pie crust, the filling ingredients can be sourced in the DR.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Man.... somebody needs to shut this thread down, pronto! I just checked and I've gained 4 pounds just reading this stuff.
Mr AE’s biggest weakness is pecan pie. His favorite is from Sam’s Club, which I’m assuming is similar to the ones at Pricemart in DR. Only available in November/December. Yesterday I bought one from Lidl (German supermarket with a surprisingly good bakery) and it’s the best crust ever. He’ll finish it today. I’m partial to lemon meringue pie, lemon anything actually (I think that’s the Sicilian genes).

Can you actually buy a bag of pecans in DR? I’d be tempted to make one there if I can buy the nuts and not pack them.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Mr AE’s biggest weakness is pecan pie. His favorite is from Sam’s Club, which I’m assuming is similar to the ones at Pricemart in DR. Only available in November/December. Yesterday I bought one from Lidl (German supermarket with a surprisingly good bakery) and it’s the best crust ever. He’ll finish it today. I’m partial to lemon meringue pie, lemon anything actually (I think that’s the Sicilian genes).

Can you actually buy a bag of pecans in DR? I’d be tempted to make one there if I can buy the nuts and not pack them.
Patrick has been selling Dominican grown pecans, perhaps he can steer you to the farm location.https://thevegeman.com

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

I have seen them in the 1lb package in la sirena around christmas once in a while. but not a sure thing maybe si maybe no.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Supermercado Nacional sells frozen pastry, shortcrust, filou and I think there is also puff pastry, so you can easily make your own pie.

Reactions: AlaPlaya