Pier construction near Sosúa by the Sea

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Yes, looks like a success so far (for the owners) Probably going there one of the next days and could have a look now when the swells are turning big this week. Last time the manager of the Marriott under construction friendly told me no pictures please.

The prevailent currents and small storms, heavy rain, have moved a lot of sand on the north coast the last year, from the mouth of river yasica.
Much nicer/easier to walk from La Boca to Encuentro without getting wet with the new sand in place. For many years that has not been possible. Cabarete beach is better too imo.

A video from the new beach at Marriott

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Really funny, almost by accident this beach became a great asset for the new Marriott :ROFLMAO:

This groyne has now ensured that a new beach has been created there. The intention is that the groyne will function as a breakwater and influence the wave current, which will prevent the coral reefs from being flooded by the swept sand during storms. According to the ecologist Gabriela Rosa of the Maguá Ecological Foundation, the resulting lagoon will stimulate coral growth and provide a breeding ground for young fish and invertebrates. The newly created beach is also very attractive for the guests of the Marriott hotel.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Both the initial photo and the first YouTube video are 6 to 8 months old, or older. The breaker wall, now, extends further into the sea and has a second wall parallel to the beach making a semi-closed area that has been filled with sand. The new hotel now has a “private” man made beach. See post #42.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
who designed that monstrosity? a couple of drunk Russian's

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Both the initial photo and the first YouTube video are 6 to 8 months old, or older. The breaker wall, now, extends further into the sea and has a second wall parallel to the beach making a semi-closed area that has been filled with sand. The new hotel now has a “private” man made beach. See post #42.

It looks pretty good to me. I don't understand why they don't gid rid of that string of rocks between the artificial beach and the buildings.
Nothing like walking out to the beach and having to cross a bunch of rocks to get to the beach.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
What a great amenity for the hotel and anybody that can figure a way to sneak out there.

A properly constructed groyne can last 25 years. It provides great protection for their coastline.

It will be interesting to see how long this lasts in THAT location with the amount of sea action we get on the North Coast.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Now I see where that line of rocks came from.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I wonder what lagoon will be created ?
I suspect this all about creating a small private beach for the new upscale hotel.
When they complete the rock placement then the sand haul should begin
I believe that you are spot on with this post.. Pisses me off when Corporations try and reflect their true intentions with BS.

Reactions: Billp16

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
The video in post#48 is from the beginning of the project. They are way beyond that bit of a spit. We are expecting northerly wave action starting this afternoon and continuing till the start of the weekend. With waves above 8 feet, we will soon see how well this breakwater was constructed. I had a look at it on a dive a couple of weeks ago.. Not only are there large voids on the outside, but the sand creates a ramp up to its base. Should really help the waves build and break strong. Good luck Ian!

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Took a look today. Did not look seriously damaged, sand still there.

An excavator doing minor repairs

was told no pictures or entry as usual

Flip Flop bar not that empty. Breakfast