Pig Roast ?

Sep 22, 2009
Anybody had Pig Roast in the last year? What's the going rate? Small pig, about 8 people.
An oinker should cost you around 3 to 4000 pesos for about 30kilos. Then depending where you live 1500 or so to roast his ass. That may or may not include the seasonings which last time I seasoned one was about 500 pesos.

So figure potentially 130 to 150/kilo. 30 sounds big for your needs. Sometimes a small porker like a lechón Is more expensive per kilo depending what they were fed

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Anybody had Pig Roast in the last year? What's the going rate? Small pig, about 8 people.
I do about 3 pig roasts a yr send your Haitian Gardner or friend to get it cheaper I usually pick my pig by pigture couple hrs later it’s in my freezer ready for roasting and prep..30-50 kg 3500-4500 peso

Reactions: CristoRey

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Smoked this one in March:)

Attachments

• 20160619_132120.jpg
    20160619_132120.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 213
Sep 22, 2009
Shipped smoker down..collecting apple wood was hard part for smoking down here..
I can never seem to get a complete brisket. It's always ear marked for the restaurants or they just hack it up for soup. Janet's was always pecho Bones gross. Good for braising though

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I can never seem to get a complete brisket. It's always ear marked for the restaurants or they just hack it up for soup. Janet's was always pecho Bones gross. Good for braising though
I either order from German butcher close to Davids tire shop or pick up one in Santiago with prime rib..

Reactions: El Rey de Mangu

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
We did a pig roast fiesta in the barrio before we left the DR in February.. Three pigs from the pig guy between Playa Dorado & Los Altos barrio 3k pesos each..
Had to add that the price was killed and field dressed with the edible entrails washed and sacked... It is the DR of course..

Pig clean.jpg

pig.jpg

Reactions: AlterEgo and ctrob

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
We did a pig roast fiesta in the barrio before we left the DR in February.. Three pigs from the pig guy between Playa Dorado & Los Altos barrio 3k pesos each..
Had to add that the price was killed and field dressed with the edible entrails washed and sacked... It is the DR of course..

Thanks. Did that include the roasting? Im looking to have it roasted at my house. Do you have contact info or a name?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Thanks. Did that include the roasting? Im looking to have it roasted at my house. Do you have contact info or a name?
We did that on our own in the street using tin, cinder blocks, and hardwood carbon.. Of course, Dominican barrio style.. "If ya wanna eat, ya have to turn the pig on the spit.. Yovani and Humberto ( the guys scraping the pigs) were a big help.. They took care of everything including poles, carbon, spices, and people to turn the pigs. I just had to buy the pigs which is how I wanted it.. Gotta love life in the Barrio!!!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
How did they kill them? Barrio style? With a Tramontino 20 Pesos knife trying to stab the heart? Do it yourself or at least provide them a sharp “matavaca”.

Sep 22, 2009
We did that on our own in the street using tin, cinder blocks, and hardwood carbon.. Of course, Dominican barrio style.. "If ya wanna eat, ya have to turn the pig on the spit.. Yovani and Humberto ( the guys scraping the pigs) were a big help.. They took care of everything including poles, carbon, spices, and people to turn the pigs. I just had to buy the pigs which is how I wanted it.. Gotta love life in the Barrio!!!
And by happenstance would you be able to provide the name of said barrio

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
We have roasted pigs many times in the patio of my parents in law. We used mainly one of my FIL “cowboys” ( he has cattle). Last time two of them were so drunk trying to kill the pig that I had to finish the job with a large dagger I have. This was my last roasted pig.

Sep 22, 2009
We have roasted pigs many times in the patio of my parents in law. We used mainly one of my FIL “cowboys” ( he has cattle). Last time two of them were so drunk trying to kill the pig that I had to finish the job with a large dagger I have. This was my last roasted pig.
Messy