Pigeons

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I am having a battle with a small flock of pigeons. Does anyone know of a good poison to get rid of them. I have tried a few different things I found on a US website but it seems to work more as a aphrodisiac than a poison.

If you know of anything thing or a place in the Bavaro area please let me know. I'm really tiered of cleaning up after rats with wings

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
lphachloralose - this poison is usually given to pigeons in the form of treated grains. You should first feed them with grains that are not poisoned for a few days, so as to attract more pigeons to the feeding spot. Alphachloralose makes them feel stupor-like and they later die. With this mechanism however, they are highly likely to die in unwanted places, like where scavenging wildlife or domestic animals will feed on the carcass and get poisoned too.

Avitrol – it contains 4-aminopyridine, which is a central nervous system toxicant. It causes convulsive reaction for hours and in pigeons, it is characterized by falling and flapping before finally giving up the ghost. Though effective in killing pigeons, it can as well kill other animals, so watch out for neighborhood pets.

Thallium - this composition can be administered to pigeons through inhalation or oral consumption. It is a tasteless poison that can be mixed with their feeds or even dissolved in water. Thallium induces nausea, vomiting and pain before killing them.

Antifreeze - another deadly remedy commonly used in killing pigeons.

Aside from Antifreeze, I'm not sure how available the other chemicals are here in the DR.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Depending on where they are landing, you can purchase a fake owl from Amazon. The prices range from $10 to $55 USD.
They work wonders as owls are natural predators, and pigeons are aware. Has worked for me in both Argentina and Spain.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am having a battle with a small flock of pigeons. Does anyone know of a good poison to get rid of them. I have tried a few different things I found on a US website but it seems to work more as a aphrodisiac than a poison.

If you know of anything thing or a place in the Bavaro area please let me know. I'm really tiered of cleaning up after rats with wings

They are good eating!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Careful with poisons. All birds are messy eaters and seed gets scattered all over the place. Very easy to kill lots of untended birds and other animals, including your dogs if you are not careful.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Little blue bird with a little blue bill
Sat upon my window sill
With outstretched hand I fed her bread
Then I smashed her in the head! That is how we did it as kids!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Raised netting or pigeon spikes so they can't perch. I have quite a bit of experience dealing with nuisance pigeons. Pellet gun is pretty effective as well.

In order to legally own a pellet, or even a BB) gun in the DR, you must already have a valid firearms license. (Unless laws recently changed.)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We bought one in Ft Lauderdale and within weeks it was covered with pigeon droppings! Good Luck.
I ran a fake owl up the main halyard on my boats, and the seagulls stayed away.

I wouldn't use poison because of the collateral damage to other animals.

Cats also help.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thanks everyone for some good ideas. I have to use poison as where they are I can't get up there with spikes, nets or fake preditors. I have tried antifreeze with corn, rat poison, and a few other toxic things.
There are no other wild animals around as I am surrounded by hotels and they have already killed off all the beach dogs and cats.
There's a ranch store in Higuey so I will give him a try.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thanks everyone for some good ideas. I have to use poison as where they are I can't get up there with spikes, nets or fake preditors. I have tried antifreeze with corn, rat poison, and a few other toxic things.
There are no other wild animals around as I am surrounded by hotels and they have already killed off all the beach dogs and cats.
There's a ranch store in Higuey so I will give him a try.

Perhaps wind chimes off the nearest window sill? Some may laugh, but this is also helpful. Pigeons do not like noise. I have experienced many ways in which the poisonous items can go wrong, and I strongly avoid them.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have used combinations of the imitation owls, chimes and decorative reflective tape which cast sun reflections. All have been successful. If you are steadfast with the poison, have you given considerable thought to where these poisoned, possibly diseased birds may take their final breath? Deceased on top of your house. In your front yard or street. Perhaps in your neighbors' yard or garden.
Heaven forbid that the poison you choose to utilize wind up in the hands of a passing child.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Appreciate your concern for collateral damage. There is no other wildlife in the area and in all my years I have never seen a child pick up a dead animal and start chewing on it.
It's a third floor apartment and if I was lucky enough to scare them away they would just move to the neighbors. They need to be dead.