Pizza Hut on Calle Conde is no more

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
My first trips to El Conde were in the 70s. Open to traffic. Dirty and crappy shops. The Mercado Modelo was the highlight, if that tells you anything about CZ in those days. 

We hadn’t been back in over a decade.  Stayed at Casa Sanchez and walked down to Conde. Wow, what a difference. 

Did Casa Sanchez really close???  What a loss, I loved it 

El Conde circa 1970:

0_B497_C5_B-2188-46_B6-9141-86_D9_A06_F56_A5.jpg

Back then leaving the DR (in search for a visa) was not the main goal in life for most of the population, regardless of the social class. The country also had a very small Haitian presence. Crime wasn’t much of a problem. The number of highrises in SD could be counted on the fingers of one hand. No hypermarkets, no malls. How things have changed! 

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not really, new location on el conde but much, much smaller.

6jenb5.jpg

But they keep trying. That's the 3rd location on el conde. They have tried both sides of the street. but keep moving east, North side south side north side

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
But they keep trying. That's the 3rd location on el conde. They have tried both sides of the street. but keep moving east, North side south side north side

Right now that location seems to be working. The wait times are insane all throughout the week. It is smaller than the location they closed May 18 when I made this thread. I wonder If it's the same owners.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Right now that location seems to be working. The wait times are insane all throughout the week. It is smaller than the location they closed May 18 when I made this thread. I wonder If it's the same owners.

things like this are always full right after they open. post again in a couple of months let the new wear offl.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
things like this are always full right after they open. post again in a couple of months let the new wear offl.

LOL, I walked past the new location Pizza Hut on el conde just this past Friday at 5PM and only two tables were occupied. An insane wait time would be a joke.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Instead of a demand issue, it could simply be a case of landlords charging too much rent when down the street another one is more practical.

Businesses that also offer home delivery can very well make most of their money via that route, hence judging how a business might be doing by how many tables are occupied may not be as practical as it may seem at first. Deliveries plus random walk-ins for take outs can make the difference, I think.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Say it isn't so. Pizza Hut is and was the best restaurant in all the Dominican Republic. Domino's is pretty good too, but Pizza Hut rocks.
At least the 2 in the PC area appear to be safe. They are always quite busy.

I hope you are kidding when you say "best restaurant in all the DR." Maybe the best in comparison to buying frozen pizza from the supermarket. Seriously, come on man!

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
LOL, I walked past the new location Pizza Hut on el conde just this past Friday at 5PM and only two tables were occupied. An insane wait time would be a joke.

Oh BigBird, I already told you about stalking and bumping all of my posts. Its good to have a fan but its also beyond weird. And lol at 5pm being your indicator of anything in the Dominican Republic. Hilarious yet so clueless.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

bien, I am trying to remember the I guess first location. I clearly remember the last location on the south side of el conde. It had the takeout counter to the right, and the main dining (large compared to new joint) off to the left. Still can't vision where the first spot was. I been hitting el conde since 2005 so maybe you can refresh my memory.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
bien, I am trying to remember the I guess first location. I clearly remember the last location on the south side of el conde. It had the takeout counter to the right, and the main dining (large compared to new joint) off to the left. Still can't vision where the first spot was. I been hitting el conde since 2005 so maybe you can refresh my memory.

not for sure but 2 blocks up from Paco's/Grands on north side. might have been 3. Hell we even had a McDonalds an Burger King at one time on El Conde. Burger King was across from Paco's/Grands an the McDonalds was on south side down by Petrus, There was also a Wendy's in plaza españa by the museo jamon. Pata Palo did not exist at that time,

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
not for sure but 2 blocks up from Paco's/Grands on north side. might have been 3. Hell we even had a McDonalds an Burger King at one time on El Conde. Burger King was across from Paco's/Grands an the McDonalds was on south side down by Petrus, There was also a Wendy's in plaza españa by the museo jamon. Pata Palo did not exist at that time,

WOW, you really go way back.............

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Oh BigBird, I already told you about stalking and bumping all of my posts. Its good to have a fan but its also beyond weird. And lol at 5pm being your indicator of anything in the Dominican Republic. Hilarious yet so clueless.

Relax alexw, no need to get your pink bloomers all up in a knot. We all here just to have some fun. Clueless or full of clues who really cares, I don't.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Don't you people have anything else better to do in life, critiquing another man's desire for Pizza Hut?
When was the last time you even stepped foot on Hispaniola, 2012?

I'm sorry that I commented on this post. Is that not what a forum is all about? When I lived in the DR I went to McDonalds, Burger King and other fast food joints but I would not consider them as one of the best restaurants anywhere. By the way I don't need to be in Santo Domingo to figure that out but since you think that's important I was in LT in 2018. Is that now a criteria to be able to participate in this forum?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Yep. That was Wendy's first attempt on the island.

They also had one on Maximo Gomez just south of the universities and another over on Venezuela (I think)

They all shut down for a few years back during Hipolitos run.

I remember when Taco Bell was no man's land for years. I couldn't figure out how they stayed open. Now they always have a line.

Outback came when Acropolis opened, was closed for years by the DGII and opened again a couple of years ago.

Dunkin' Donuts built the building where Wendy's is now on Gustavo Mejia Ricart and Tiradentes (Close to Silver Sun Gallery)

A lot of fast food franchises have come and gone over the years

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some quickly.

Hooters in Santiago lasted less than 90 days. Ruby Tuesday's maybe 4 months.

Problem is fast and cheap in the US is very spendy in the DR. I remember taking Alida for her first McDonald's in Santo Domingo, and the (bad) meal cost almost $20.

That said, a monster Double Whopper with Cheese and Bacon in the Santiago BK was fabu...

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Yep. That was Wendy's first attempt on the island.

They also had one on Maximo Gomez just south of the universities and another over on Venezuela (I think)

They all shut down for a few years back during Hipolitos run.

I remember when Taco Bell was no man's land for years. I couldn't figure out how they stayed open. Now they always have a line.

Outback came when Acropolis opened, was closed for years by the DGII and opened again a couple of years ago.

Dunkin' Donuts built the building where Wendy's is now on Gustavo Mejia Ricart and Tiradentes (Close to Silver Sun Gallery)

Also was a mcdonalds on 27th and I seem to remember for a very short time a church's on tiradentes close to kennedy. first pizza hut was in plaza central. 27th ad lincoln. fake hooters on the Malecon another on San Vicente, and McDowell's on Churchill.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Nathan's ......

What about Nathan's Hot Dogs? Are they all gone? I know the one at SDQ shut down a long time ago and the one in Agora Mall is gone.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........Outback came when Acropolis opened, was closed for years by the DGII and opened again a couple of years ago...........

Outback, Dominican beef or imported USDA beef? Would i need to order triple rare to get a nice medium rare steak?