plane missing en route from Santo Domingo to NYC

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
How do you know it was Santiago? The Fox News report said Santo Domingo however there must have been in error because they said 35 mins after take off it disappeared from radar which would not put the plane near the Turks and Caicos, however, if they left from Santiago then this would be correct.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
How do you know it was Santiago? The Fox News report said Santo Domingo however there must have been in error because they said 35 mins after take off it disappeared from radar which would not put the plane near the Turks and Caicos, however, if they left from Santiago then this would be correct.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm almost certain the article said Santiago when you posted it, I'm fairly certain they must have edited it.

Here is another article that confirms it left from Santiago:

A?n se desconoce qu? pas? con la avioneta - Hoy Digital

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The original article said the plane left from Santiago, however it was reported from Santo Domingo.

Here is an update from FoxNews. Some of the details contradict the original report.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I didn't notice this the first time I read the article:

The company's owner, Luis Perez, said the plane was for sale and was only supposed to be inspected in the Dominican Republic. He planned to report it as stolen.

Reactions: mike l

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The original article said the plane left from Santiago, however it was reported from Santo Domingo.

Here is an update from FoxNews. Some of the details contradict the original report.
I suspect shenanigans.

The REQUIRED international flight plan would show clearly where the plane left, where it was heading, the specific route, and when the flight plan was closed.

There wouldn't be much confusion.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
this is very suspicious:

"The company's owner, Luis Perez, said the plane was for sale and was only supposed to be inspected in the Dominican Republic. He planned to report it as stolen."

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
People keep using "Santo Domingo" instead of the "Domincan Republic" - just dont know why, its always confusing to me.

Reactions: mike l

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
People keep using "Santo Domingo" instead of the "Domincan Republic" - just dont know why, its always confusing to me.

At least 80% of the Hispanics I talk with in central Florida use Santo Domingo instead of La RD, including some Dominicans. No doubt Santo Domingo rolls off of the tongue a lot easier in Spanish while saying "La Republica Dominicana" has all the grace of a sack of potatoes being tossed out of a moving truck.

Reactions: Celt202
May 5, 2007
Did it really crash?

I am making the assumption that NB had the Turbo conversion (Most if not all do) so useful load would not have been an issue, and if what I am thinking is true, seating was not a primary requiremnt either

I have an odd feeling that bird will be found abandoned on some remote strip, likey in South Florida

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The article in the Diario Libre talked about 12 persons, the Listin, too.

When one of my boys read it, he said that these were women being shipped for prostitution purposes.

Articles said that Miami control reported an Emergency call at 4:40. The aircraft took off from STI at 4:06, said to be heading to one of the small islands in the Turks & Caicos group: Mayaguana...

I do not think a plane that size can reach Florida from Santiago, so the T&C stop for fuel was probably a must do...

Lots of possibilities...I hope that the worst scene conjectures are not yet a reality...

HB

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I have an odd feeling that bird will be found abandoned on some remote strip, likey in South Florida
Highly unlikely...Fat Albert is flown daily above Cudjoe Key, the Feds are eyeballing the Caribbean like hawks. "Remote" strips in SoFlo are a thing of the past...most have million dollars homes lining them now.

May 5, 2007
I feel so much better now

Highly unlikely...Fat Albert is flown daily above Cudjoe Key, the Feds are eyeballing the Caribbean like hawks. "Remote" strips in SoFlo are a thing of the past...most have million dollars homes lining them now.

That’s' really comforting to know that zero planes are now entering the ADIZ UN detected, great job!<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

You don't suppose where he was last heard from in the Bahamas that he might be coming ashore somewhere around Opa Locka or the Glades, but then again with the time you have in rotors, inside knowledge of all things concerning the US ADIZ, the TRUE story of the shootdown of the Miami planes laying wreaths, I humbly accept you will be correct, and defer to your knowledge that absolutely no planes now enter US Airspace from the Caribbean<O:p></O:p>

If they did, I’m certain someone would shoot them down with a .308 caliber M 16<O:p></O:p>

Good job!

Hillbilly;

Even loaded, that old girl should do 6-700 miles without a problem, IF she was able to get full tanks.

I would not think he (pilot) would make any unnecessary stops at controlled fields, likely declaring an emergency while under RADAR, not squaking 1200, surely no IDENT and trying to divert attention while he scud runs to Florida, but I forget there is no way to penetrate the ADIZ anymore, not even with a Cuban MIG that suddenly appears at NAS Key West with NO ONE ever picking it up until he is on long final (Oh the embarrasment)<O:p</O:p

Last edited:

Yachtguy1

Sep 30, 2008
Pardon my ignorance

Sorry, but I am just a lowly US VFR licensed pilot (expired 5 years ago [410 hrs]) with only a single engine rating, no instruments, etc...

But could a plane leave the DR in Santiago without a proper tail ID?? If so, maybe the the owner filed a flight plan, used a different plane to take off (and land after it dropped below radar and visual range), only to claim an insurance loss as a "stolen" airframe for the original plane???

Maybe I am stupid, but this kinda insurance fraud **** is being done in South America as we speak.