Plant two trees for every tree lost (Luis Abinader)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The president Luis Abinader and first lady Raquel Arbaje de Abinader went to the Central Mountains in Valle Nuevo to see the devastation that have been created by the massive recent forest fires. He pledged that the Dominican government will reforest the areas affected and that for every tree lost, they will plant two trees.

Some of the private reforestation programs will probably develop a similar plan to further restore the forests lost.

Fingers crossed they use the same tree species.

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Hey NALs was the last statement in jest? I hope they follow up soon too. Probably the worst thing they could do would be to reforest that area as a monoculture. That sounds like a farm you have intention to harvest. A better idea would be a diversity of species. We lost a bunch of pines up in Sajoma when the ips beetle mini plague got started a couple years ago during a really dry spell. The real plague was los forestales that came thru with their chainsaws. Now you can see a lot further even if you don't want to.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Everybody complains of lack of water/ dry land, however nobody seems to care.

Every day more land is prepped for building.

Folks cut down trees and strip the land bare to do....... whatever--- probably because they are too lazy to look after their conucos.
The earth is packed tight and looks like a parking lot. Then they wonder why their land is washed bare when it does rain .......

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Abinader should focus on fixing infrastructure.
No water, frequent electrical outages and crumbling bridges and roads and leaking sewers.
Those are the issues affecting most people and he has not made them a priority

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Everybody complains of lack of water/ dry land, however nobody seems to care.

Every day more land is prepped for building.

Folks cut down trees and strip the land bare to do....... whatever--- probably because they are too lazy to look after their conucos.
The earth is packed tight and looks like a parking lot. Then they wonder why their land is washed bare when it does rain .......
Farmers have been ringing the warning bells about this in Moca for several years. Not so much about saving the natural foliage or trees but about the younger generations selling off the land to developers who then clear and built on top of healthy fertile soils.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Abinader should focus on fixing infrastructure.
No water, frequent electrical outages and crumbling bridges and roads and leaking sewers.
Those are the issues affecting most people and he has not made them a priority
Without a forest we will have no water and little reason for infrastructure. Both are important. There is no reason the government cant tackle all the problems.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I haven't seen even one tree planted for all the trees cut for the new Sosua Beach project and the big excavation across the street

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I haven't seen even one tree planted for all the trees cut for the new Sosua Beach project and the big excavation across the street
That would be a lot of trees to replace. It's my understanding roots help hold the soils intact during a good rain.
I haven't been up there since they started the clearing but I hope they left enough trees intact to prevent serious erosion.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Purely political, I just don't see Abinader as a tree hugger.
It is not purely political nor about being a three hugger.
Forests are needed.
And trees are just corn stalks that need a long time to grow.
There should be planning for reforestation.
For the practical nature of harvesting wood either for domestic sales or exporting.

Now are you going to tell me I know nothing about forestry (the same way you said I know nothing about mining) @Big
I will interesting to see if you are consistent.
(insert the "GTF" emoji here)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It is not purely political nor about being a three hugger.
Forests are needed.
And trees are just corn stalks that need a long time to grow.
There should be planning for reforestation.
For the practical nature of harvesting wood either for domestic sales or exporting.

Now are you going to tell me I know nothing about forestry (the same way you said I know nothing about mining) @Big
I will interesting to see if you are consistent.
(insert the "GTF" emoji here)
Forests are very important. They help hold the soil retain moisture, affect the climate in positive ways, improve the biodiversity of both flora and fauna, and if managed correctly using sustain yield practices, they provide job, foods, and building materials...etc. I was a forestry engineering student in a former life.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Riding the bus from Santiago to Sosua just noticed the massive deforestation along the road between El Túnel and Villa Gonzales, contrucción material extraction without limits destroying the forest.

Shame on the DR government.

JJ