Planting Boxes

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I also have a small container garden on the roof of my apartment in Santo Domingo este. I grow green onions, cherry tomatoes, small peppers, jalapeño peppers, three types of basil, rosemary and oregano. I want to grow some lettuce and cilantro. But I have had a tough time starting both of those seeds.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I also have a small container garden on the roof of my apartment in Santo Domingo este. I grow green onions, cherry tomatoes, small peppers, jalapeño peppers, three types of basil, rosemary and oregano. I want to grow some lettuce and cilantro. But I have had a tough time starting both of those seeds.
I had a 7th fl garden at first. It is very difficult in my opinion to garden vegetables in small containers. Herbs yes. Lettuce no... as lettuce is sensitive to extreme heat and will bolt in this summer Dominican sun. It's always nice to have basil readily avail. while cooking.Even in my big garden now there are somethings that I'm hesitant to grow just yet but this weekI took the plunge and started planting melons. Trellis construction and all.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002

You had me at jalapeños.

Are you growing Dominican oregano?

I like this thread and wish everyone luck in whatever they are growing.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I had a 7th fl garden at first. It is very difficult in my opinion to garden vegetables in small containers. Herbs yes. Lettuce no... as lettuce is sensitive to extreme heat and will bolt in this summer Dominican sun. It's always nice to have basil readily avail. while cooking.Even in my big garden now there are somethings that I'm hesitant to grow just yet but this weekI took the plunge and started planting melons. Trellis construction and all.

Kudos to you Johne for offering your time to POTUS. You even invited him to come see you for help.

That’s what the DR1 community is and should always be.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I planted basil several years ago. Left in spring, came back 6-7 months later and found out it kept reseeding itself and I had a little patch. When I’m there I always pinch off the seeds.

A good thing to grow in containers is mint, I love it in iced tea, I make my own. I made the mistake of planting a little 40 peso pot of it, now it’s a jungle. Can’t kill oregano either.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I planted basil several years ago. Left in spring, came back 6-7 months later and found out it kept reseeding itself and I had a little patch. When I’m there I always pinch off the seeds.

A good thing to grow in containers is mint, I love it in iced tea, I make my own. I made the mistake of planting a little 40 peso pot of it, now it’s a jungle. Can’t kill oregano either.
Mint is supposed to be good for keeping the mosquitos away.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I am guessing it may be : Insufficient sunlight, insufficient or irregular watering, poor nutrients ( need fertilizer) or more organic material in your soil. I have no problem producing tomatoes.
a lot of sun and water ....I would get tons of flowers than they would just die and fall off...

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Mint is supposed to be good for keeping the mosquitos away.
my secret garden 006.JPG

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Is there a reason we can't just upload from our c drive? Is this because of a virus potential?
I'm not sure why some can and others can't. When I click on "Drop image or click here", it takes me to File Explorer and I can get an image from anywhere on my computer.

Maybe a Apple thing?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I can upload from my drive, HP WIN 11i7

Attachments

• Tambora.jpg
    Tambora.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 72

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Maybe someone could enlighten me about how to upload a picture from my computer without it being as tall as the Empire State Building and as wide as the Atlantic Ocean.
I'm sure I knew at one point but it eludes at the moment.
Like Tamborista's.
Anybody?

P6080009.JPG

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Maybe someone could enlighten me about how to upload a picture from my computer without it being as tall as the Empire State Building and as wide as the Atlantic Ocean.
I'm sure I knew at one point but it eludes at the moment.
Like Tamborista's.
Anybody?

View attachment 5846

After you paste the picture, click on it and you can drag it by one of the corners to the size you want.

• Haha
Reactions: Tamborista